No announcement yet.

1987 LTD Crown Victoria wagon in Sherman, TX - $3000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bushing and Jesus clip: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7303A/87-93...le-Bushing-Kit

Tech article about the issue: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00052.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      This is very helpful. I went and checked & mine looks original… It’s not broken but I’m going to order a brass replacement just to be safe.

I’ve been surfing the net and apparently these grommets are a bit of an epidemic… It would suck to burn up a perfectly good AOD over something so simple.

I’ve only been apart of this forum for a few days and I’ve already acquired a ton of helpful information. This site is genuinely a treasure trove for DIYers... reminds me of thirdgen.org (in a good way lol). I’m glad I came across this site!

Check it out; I found a shop manual and the original window sticker for the wagon hiding in the rear cargo hold where the 3rd row seat should be:

[IMG][/IMG]
      1987 slick top Wagon

Search "photobucket embed fix" to remove watermark from photos

Comment

Oh man... window sticker, what a find!

Had no idea an electronic AM radio was standard in 87. I’ve seen them in trucks but never a car. Although if your car doesn’t have it, then the number that did is probably tiny.

Also 87 was THE year for MPG. The 87 I had was very good at gas mileage for the little bit I drove it. I know they run the same computer as others, but I can’t help but think something changed. Darn “aerobox” front end sucks at aero?
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          Also 87 was THE year for MPG. The 87 I had was very good at gas mileage for the little bit I drove it. I know they run the same computer as others, but I can’t help but think something changed. Darn “aerobox” front end sucks at aero?
          Those MPG figures must be coming from a 2.73 car being driven lightly on those sheets. I’ve never seen mileage like that on a 3.27 rear, even when my engine was 100% stock. Maybe when it was new, they were managing that on a flat road at 55, but I swear that’s a stretch. What mileage were you seeing with yours?

Cool to see a fleet credit. Any idea what the car was originally used for? Also, I see HD suspension option. Does it have a rear sway bar?

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
            Those MPG figures must be coming from a 2.73 car being driven lightly on those sheets. I’ve never seen mileage like that on a 3.27 rear, even when my engine was 100% stock. Maybe when it was new, they were managing that on a flat road at 55, but I swear that’s a stretch. What mileage were you seeing with yours?

Cool to see a fleet credit. Any idea what the car was originally used for? Also, I see HD suspension option. Does it have a rear sway bar?
            My 88 is not MPG friendly. Maybe 18mpg highway, 12 town on the tripminder. The 87 I had ran a 24 on the tripminder without trying, but again only drove it ~30 miles to try out the engine and transmission. It was a 3.27 car as well. That window sticker with 27 still looks impressive though.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
              My 88 is not MPG friendly. Maybe 18mpg highway, 12 town on the tripminder. The 87 I had ran a 24 on the tripminder without trying, but again only drove it ~30 miles to try out the engine and transmission. It was a 3.27 car as well. That window sticker with 27 still looks impressive though.
              Oof, fair enough. My TripMinder typically reads 19-21 under steady cruising around 50 MPH. Climbing hills it'll drop back to 11-14.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

My '88 Wagon was awesome, 315 miles from one tank regularly. I have no idea what gears it had or anything (wish I knew half of what I know now). Of course this was all country roads. My drive to work was 30 miles and it took me 30 minutes. (Unlike my current drive of less than 10 miles at 15-60+ minutes). 330 out of a tank in my '89 MGM once, but the wind (nothing crazy, more of a breeze) was pushing me along and I'm pretty sure elevation dropped (on average, very gradually, a few hills here and there) the entire trip at 55-60MPH.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post

I'm honestly not sure what it was originally used for. I looked under the car and it does not appear to have a sway bar on the rear axle... Stupid question: are the rear sway bars located somewhere else on the panthers?

I attached some pics of the rear axle below.
                  Attached Files
                  1987 slick top Wagon

Search "photobucket embed fix" to remove watermark from photos

Comment

You are correct in that yours doesn’t have a rear sway bar. In the box era, easiest way to spot is they come down under the rear axle center section and most of the axle tubes. Then attach to the lower control arms.

I see no mention of the optional rear axle ratio, yet the car has relatively uncommon 3.27 gears. My 88 has these as well, also with HD suspension. Wonder if there is a connection. I do see a lot of 87-88 3.27 cars.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Definitely no sway bar there:

The ends of the sway bar would attach to the lower control arms, I'm somewhat curious to know if the arms have both sets of mounting holes or just one set.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

They are located somewhere else: on police cars. Most civi models didn't have one unless you got whatever was the handling package. You'd get a smaller size one that the cop cars did.

Wow, you have the AM digital radio. I have service literature for those, never actually seen one. Why on earth that even exists baffles me. I'd have expected them to just keep making the old 2 shaft AM/FM.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’ve seen that AM digital radio in a truck I think... window sticker shows an option of the am/fm but this car has a stock cassette too, probably added later
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I have one of those AM digital radios in the spare parts collection. Really odd. Why not am/fm as the basic radio ? The am cost more to build than it is worth.

Comment

Working...
                            X