PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1987 LTD Crown Victoria wagon in Sherman, TX - $3000

Default 1987 LTD Crown Victoria wagon in Sherman, TX - $3000

Ad says it's an S, but it at least has rear defrost, trip minder, cruise control, and power locks. Looks fairly spartan other than that. Many pictures.

https://texoma.craigslist.org/cto/d/...782939360.html

From the ad: "I picked this 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria up from a small dealer in Texarkana two years ago where the car has been since first owner. It is a fleet model with no features but a solid body and no visible rust. It has been super dependable to me and it inspired me to buy a second more optioned one, but having two of the same car is kind of redundant so I am selling this one. It is solid and never let me down, but it has led a rough life before getting to me. Previous owner added a class 1 hitch and four pin trailer connector. I've carfaxed it and the mileage adds up correctly to be about 159K miles (this odometer doesn't have the 100,000 digit). The only damage the car has is on the front passenger door from the dealer that I bought it from, which was quite a shock when I went to buy it as the thing had no damage in the pictures THEY gave me!

I have added / replaced the following. I prefer to keep my vehicles full stock so don't expect any horrible shenanigans under the hood/dash:

>New Smog Pump
    >New AC Compressor / Evaporator
    >Ford era-correct Digital Clock (The car came with none from the factory)
    >New upper radiator return hose and bypass hose.
    >Whitewall tires are four years old, with about 15K miles on them.
    >Vacuum actuated parking break release.
    >New headlights
    >Upgraded the radio to the same model with a tape deck

Please keep in mind that this is a fleet vehicle. It features no right hand mirror. It has woven vinyl seats, hubcaps, crank windows (except for the three way tailgate window) and no power antenna. It appears to have a slight oil leak from the valve covers."

óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Man it has a good look to it without the bits on the roof.

Maybe if it had any paint left and no dents it be worth checking out.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I’m surprised you could still get one without a passenger side mirror by ‘87.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

No chrome trim around the side glass. Definitely low budget. If it was closer I would consider buying it and making a hearse out of it. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

I really like the roof rack delete as well. I’ve seen a few early Panther era without, but not as late as 87.

They were smart to order the power locks. Wagons are a pain without them. I swear I have the only one ever with manual locks and ATC.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

It has the step pad on the rear bumper, but it doesn't have the mother-in-law seats. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Not a tripminder, thats the digital clock. Still an option though. Cloth split bench seats were also an option, super basic was vinyl solid bench.

Also can't say I've ever seen one without a passenger side mirror. I didn't even know that was a delete-option. personally I think I'd trade the clock for another mirror.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Not a tripminder, thats the digital clock. Still an option though. Cloth split bench seats were also an option, super basic was vinyl solid bench.

Also can't say I've ever seen one without a passenger side mirror. I didn't even know that was a delete-option. personally I think I'd trade the clock for another mirror.
    Actually realized on a closer look that it was just a clock and that the owner installed it himself. Turns out it was also a clock delete car. Wonder if he kept the delete plate.

I think it would be worth a look if I was in the market. I'll bet he's flexible on the price.
    óJohn

New member here. I was browsing the classifieds when I stumbled upon this thread.

I actually ended up buying this wagon for $2k. I needed something to drive my husky around town in... and I've always wanted an old box panther wagon. It has no rust and I've already put about 400 miles on her without any major issues. Replaced all the fluids & the brake master cylinder. It has factory 3.27 rear gears, so its a not too slow lol.

It needs a major bath. Here's a few pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My husky fits nicely in the rear of the wagon:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I love this thing lol. Seriously, I haven't grinned this much just cruising around town in a very long time. I'll start a build thread on her sometime.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1675_zpsyguwnlwk.jpg   IMG_1682_zpszqflrdd0.jpg   IMG_1675.jpg   IMG_1682.jpg   IMG_1665_zpsayx5vlsn.jpg  

IMG_1798_zpsfjo5axhc.jpg   IMG_1665.JPG   IMG_1798.jpg   IMG_1764.jpg   IMG_1770.jpg  

Last edited by Alice87; 02-04-2019 at 01:47 AM. Reason: pictures

A lot more dog friendly than a GTO. Nice score. Enjoy it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Welcome! Glad it went to an appreciative home.

Check the bushing on the throttle body that attaches to the cable to the transmission, commonly called a TV bushing. If it’s plastic, get a brass replacement. They are brittle and spell death to the transmission if it breaks and is driven.

GMN Box Panther History

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Very cool, welcome to the site!
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Welcome!

Nice! Welcome! I like to peruse local stuff on Craigslist that I'll never be able to buy. Nice to see something like this go to a good owner.
    óJohn

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! It's definitely much more spacious and smooth riding than my goat for sure lol.

I’ll check the throttle bushing asap; thanks for the heads up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    This is very helpful. I went and checked & mine looks original… It’s not broken but I’m going to order a brass replacement just to be safe.

I’ve been surfing the net and apparently these grommets are a bit of an epidemic… It would suck to burn up a perfectly good AOD over something so simple.

I’ve only been apart of this forum for a few days and I’ve already acquired a ton of helpful information. This site is genuinely a treasure trove for DIYers... reminds me of thirdgen.org (in a good way lol). I’m glad I came across this site!

Check it out; I found a shop manual and the original window sticker for the wagon hiding in the rear cargo hold where the 3rd row seat should be:

[IMG][/IMG]

Oh man... window sticker, what a find!

Had no idea an electronic AM radio was standard in 87. I’ve seen them in trucks but never a car. Although if your car doesn’t have it, then the number that did is probably tiny.

Also 87 was THE year for MPG. The 87 I had was very good at gas mileage for the little bit I drove it. I know they run the same computer as others, but I can’t help but think something changed. Darn “aerobox” front end sucks at aero?

GMN Box Panther History

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Also 87 was THE year for MPG. The 87 I had was very good at gas mileage for the little bit I drove it. I know they run the same computer as others, but I can’t help but think something changed. Darn “aerobox” front end sucks at aero?
    Those MPG figures must be coming from a 2.73 car being driven lightly on those sheets. I’ve never seen mileage like that on a 3.27 rear, even when my engine was 100% stock. Maybe when it was new, they were managing that on a flat road at 55, but I swear that’s a stretch. What mileage were you seeing with yours?

Cool to see a fleet credit. Any idea what the car was originally used for? Also, I see HD suspension option. Does it have a rear sway bar?

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Those MPG figures must be coming from a 2.73 car being driven lightly on those sheets. I’ve never seen mileage like that on a 3.27 rear, even when my engine was 100% stock. Maybe when it was new, they were managing that on a flat road at 55, but I swear that’s a stretch. What mileage were you seeing with yours?

Cool to see a fleet credit. Any idea what the car was originally used for? Also, I see HD suspension option. Does it have a rear sway bar?
    My 88 is not MPG friendly. Maybe 18mpg highway, 12 town on the tripminder. The 87 I had ran a 24 on the tripminder without trying, but again only drove it ~30 miles to try out the engine and transmission. It was a 3.27 car as well. That window sticker with 27 still looks impressive though.

GMN Box Panther History

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast