Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering box swap for... MY 2000 P71 box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering box swap for... MY 2000 P71 box?

Is it possible to plug & play swap the stock and somewhat 'loose' steering box on a 2000 MGM LS for a P71 steering box? Any hardware modifications required, or is it a simple hookup?

Also, what is exactly the model number of the P71 steering box? Rock Auto does not specify much and lists the same model, MOTORCRAFT STG36RM {#F7AC3504FCRM, F7AZ3504FDRM}, for Sport and Handling packages for Crown Vics and MGMs alike.
    '00 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, Silver Frost, the "Sharona": runs, drives and currently with mods in progress
    '96 Chrysler Grand Voyager LE 3.3 V6
    "You obviously have not been introduced to the ASTM Guidance for Profanity Gauging of Technical Services, Addendum#1, American English to Polish Scale Conversion, by which a repair done at a rate of 35 kurwas per 5 minutes means normal performance."

Should be a direct swap.

This is the known details of the Panther platform steering gears, compiled by the late 2vmodular

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/steerin...rtnumbers.html

I suspect any reman box you get will be any random box that physically fits. I doubt very much that anyone pays close attention to the part number. Finding a known P71 box might be difficult unless you can verify the vehicle it came from, or at least the ID tag.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks! Nice write-up in that link. Got the damn wiring sorted out, now working on the suspension. The P71 steering box is a project TBD in 2 months or so, but I'd be very happy with my LS feeling firmer when driving straight ahead, especially on uneven blacktop and/or at higher speeds.
      '00 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, Silver Frost, the "Sharona": runs, drives and currently with mods in progress
      "You obviously have not been introduced to the ASTM Guidance for Profanity Gauging of Technical Services, Addendum#1, American English to Polish Scale Conversion, by which a repair done at a rate of 35 kurwas per 5 minutes means normal performance."

Comment

Is it the steering box or something else? The idler arms get loose, and that makes for very sloppy steering. I'd be absolutely sure its the box before replacing it, just because its probably the most expensive part in the system.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You're absolutely right about this contributor to sloppy steering. I don't know yet what shape the idler arm is in, but it's a potential culprit alright. The pitman arm is supposedly OK, but other joints and bushings are kinda almost worn enough for an early replacement, so to be on the safe side, I bought both arms. The priority are all four shocks and the front-end suspension. I'll see how the whale drives with the new parts, though it's not THAT bad now. The P71 steering box is a project to be done later, also because of the cost.

Comment

PS. Yeah, that would be the one, the P71 / CVPI with the strongest torsion bar and the best precision. Pricey. About 2k PLN with shipping to Poland. Oh well. :v

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mo...ring+gear,7416

Comment

Working...
            X