No announcement yet.

IM a noob, mods, what do yall think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumper is going back on, to continue the sleeper look, aswell as single exhaust. I read an article by hotrod to turn a holley carb into a blow Through carb, it will require some modification, but that's no bigee, I feel comfortable to do it myself. But the hood poses an issue. I used to run a bug catcher scoop (because badasss) and I have a giant triangle shaped hole in my hood, but the hood wouldn't close with my carb as it is now, and when the turbo goes on the hat is going to give it away, what should I do? A cowl hood Is the easy way out, or I could weld back on the triangle and only cut out what needs to be cut. Or I could put somespacers on the rear of the hinges to raise the hood, questions, questions, questions. I only have all the time in the world to decide. This hood is far beyond save able, rust has been at all the Important places, I dont feel bad chopping it up.

Comment

I would get another hood. Cut the hood from front to back along the factory cowl lines and insert and weld sheetmetal to your desired clearance. There is no sleeper look when you cant run a factory hood so next best thing is modifying the factory hood to fit yet still look like a factory piece.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I yeah your definatly right, I think I might just weld back on the triangle, then cut out the whole hood and raise the middle section. Keep in mind I want the car to look nice too, last night I cut my front bumper, I cut out the inner section where the rubber used to lay. I want the car to look more aggressive, not not something to obvious. Yeah if you own a panther you'll be able to tell, but I also lower the front of the car and the tall grill didn't look right. I want the rear bumper to stay exactly now it is, I like the proportions with the stock rid height back there, but the front looked weird and the bumper sat low. I guess I won't fully know how much I need to adjust the hood until the turbo is fully done. More info about the turbo, I'm just going to be using a regular holley, with the power valve backfire check ball removed, and the plastic float bowls, then I'll need a boost reference fuel pressure regulator, and I've decided on no intercooler and two 44mm vs racing waste gates off of summit , one on either exhaust bank. I'm still deciding on what blow off valve to get, I'll propably get what ever summit has that's a decent price. I don't want to buy anything until the new years sale, I'm hoping atleast, there was a new year's sale last year and if I can save some money I will. For headers I bought a set of cheapie China shorty headers, theyre full stainless steel with 1/4 thick flange and a 2.25 ball end. I'm just going to plop the turbo on the front of the engine, I haven't decided on driverside or passangerside. Going to run a 3inch single exhaust, I think it will be planty for my power level. Then I want to get two mufflers so itl quiet and I can drive at night again, neighbors aren't really a fan of my car unfortunately. I'm still contemplating a cut out, because I like hearing the thing every now and again. But that's the basic of the build so far. It's just a cheap ebay turbo, but again I'm on planning on 5lbs of boost. I'm not worried, my rings are gapped for 25 thousandths, stock short block. I think it will hold, Richard Holdner has given me confidence.

Comment

Another update just for fun. So yeah, cars got a turbo now, i picked a ebay gt45 turbo. Im not too sure on the specs, i can find them if someone is curious but its what Richard Holdner runs on his boosted 5.0 runs. I still have my same cam and heads from my 302, just upgraded to a edelbrock rpm airgap. I wanted to buy a intake, so I thought, "why not just buy the cool looking one?" In regards to using my holley under boost its worked out really well. The basic mods you have to do is just replace the brass floats with plastic solid floats and somehow patch the choke linkage hole on the top of the carburator. You only need to patch the hole because with the carb hat on, under boost the pressure would just escape through that hole. And of course removing the power valve backfire protection ball thing. Mine was already removed so that made it even easier. To patch the hole on the carb i used JB Water weld. its like JB weld, instead of two pastes you mix, this is two tough play dough parts that you mix together until you have one solid color. It worked really well so far and hasnt given me any issue. This is one of the last things you need to do, it needs to be done after the carb has been cleaned and theres no more shaving left from the choke horn. Oh yeah, choke horn has gotta get cut off too. For my Fuel system i went with an aeromotive 13202 boost reference fuel pressure regulator. That eliminates not having fuel under boost. I thought too since i was installing a nice fuel pressure regulator, might as well upgrade my fuel pump. I went with an aeromotive 340lp stealth pump, it was 80 brand new and flow tons more than my stock intank CFI pump. For ignition im using an HEi distributor locked out at 26 Degrees, The blow through guys that im bombarding with questions told me it would be fine (they were right) I dont have any issues pinging or anything like that. When im at WOT im seeing 10.8 afr to about 11.8 then it gets leaner around 13-14 at 6K, so i need bigger jets. I still have some tuning to do still. But with what i suspect to be around a 380-ish Hp 351w, under 7lbs of boost I should be closer to 550 at the crank, and then around 500 at the tires. This is all going through a tr3550, so im not too worried about the power levels. Im still running a stock 8.8 out of a 91 (I think) town car. I definatly need to upgrade to 31 or maybe 33 spline axels eventualy. But ill get there when i get there. I think soon ill make a video about this thing and show you guys what my car looks like currently. Any ways it cool to see how I started with my car, trying to make it backfire with the stock maybe 140hp 302. and now Im not really a fan of annoying loud cars, i got a single exhaust (Duh) and two mufflers after my turbo. When i want it to be loud (less back pressure) I just hit my Exhaust cut out and go on my way.

Comment

Man great update! Looking forward to the video. I miss having the initiative to do this kind of thing.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sweet! Would love to see pictures or a video of it
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Agreed. Nice to hear you are still messing with it. I used to work on my car constantly. Past few years things have slowed to a crawl mainly because I have finished everything I want to do..just every now and then you find something to tinker, upgrade. I did rear control arms the other day and my gut and neck are hurting lol Havent been under that since April of Last year! Takes a toll on you.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Heres a quick video i made. If you guys want to see anything more indepth let me know. https://youtu.be/J3YVOwW_Isk

Comment

Damn, that things bad ass! What do you rev it to typically?
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Im still getting the tune worked all out, when i get higher up in the rpm about 4500 and up it gets more lean than i want it to, so i dont rev that high all that often. Ive gone as high was 6200rpm, but really it makes peak power at around 5800 so i dont go higher than that. I mostly just drive it work and back, i dont get on it unless im trying to figure something out and fix an issue. Or if i just need to pass some dumb driver. The rotating assembly has been fully balanced within a gram, so 6k is perfectly fine when the motor is all up to temp. My old 302 that i took out i used to take to 6400 rpm alot, i took it to 6500 one day, and..... WELL. I no longer had a 302 after that. But you live and you learn.

Comment

Nice. I bet that thing will roast the tires if you're not careful.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yes more videos and driving videos please.
                          ~David~

Comment

Traction isnt exactly one of my friends. First night i got the turbo setup making boost i lost traction at around 40mph. it was when the turbo made peak boost ( 7psi) around 5000 in 2nd gear. Keep in mind i got some cheap tires and this is a panther body, these cars werent made for handling. the 351 made plenty of torque to break the tires loose if you give it a little rpm. Ill try somehow make make a jig to hold my phone while i drive so you can can see the road and the guages will i drive. Im currently working on a two step. There is a guy on youtube from down under who showed how he made his own simple two step with a few electrical components. Boost lag is a concern, I shoulda gotten a smaller turbo, but thats the beauty of it, if i want a smaller turbo, it will bolt right up. First im going to try making a two step in the hopes it will build boost when i want to. The main reason i wanted to turbo this thing was just so i could be faster than my dads gto. Im definatly faster with the spooly boy. But he is building a 395 LS stroker right now, So i got some tuning to do to still be faster than him.

Comment

Working...
                            X