IM a noob, mods, what do yall think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IM a noob, mods, what do yall think?

Im the kid that recently got an 85 Crown Vic 2dr, so far the mods i've done, is a complete exhaust system. That means i made heddman long tube hedders fit (from a mustang, they took some cutting and welding and smashing) did a cat delete, and put on magna flow straight throughs, (they're simular to very similar to glass packs) then i made side exit pipes before the rear wheel (sorta like a dump before the axle). The next thing was i got a single plane high rise intake from ProPerf (china's best) to go along with a Edelbrock 1400. I picked up some E6 heads, from what i've read they have smaller combustion chamber than E5 heads and produce more torque then E7's let alone E5's. The intake and heads have been port matched from their previous owner. I'm going to port the E6's and take out the exhaust hump from the EGR. I'm also gonna be blocking off the EGR port (if I can find them) so none of that will be in the way. 'waiting for a fuel pressure regulator to come in, it should be in the 20th, then i guess to can keep you guys updated if y'all want ill probably post again if i remember. But do you guys think have i been making a good start to a fun car? I'm also working on a bug catcher scoop for a cold air intake for that older look. let me know what yall think, but im pretty sure besides a cam, ive gotten airflow taken car of.

Buying a Panther is a good start to a fun car, period. So yes you are on the right track!

You are doing the CFI to carb conversion?

On the E6 heads. I’m in the minority... I feel there are benefits to E6 heads but they are not performance heads. Below 3000 rpm and at part throttle, they are good for cruising economy which is really what they were designed for. That same design retricts flow at full throttle higher rpm. If you haven’t swapped the E5 heads, just keep them or upgrade to a GT40 or p for cheap.

It’s expensive to make a Panther fast since they have an extra 1000lbs on a Mustang. But it can be fun, even if it’s relatively slow.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

To make use of a single-plane intake, you'll need much better heads and cam. Also you'll want a shift kit and/or HO governor in the trans to raise shift points. Sounds like you're moving along, much quicker than some of us(me) so keep it up. Just be sure you plan your mods to work with each other. Definitely consider some lower rearend gears and possibly a stall converter.

Comment

ive already got 3.55 gears in the back with an lsd fortunatly. Would you recommend a roller cam or keep the flat tappet, i dont want to mess with the block so im leaning towards a cam from rock auto, some of their cams from 1968-1971 5.0's have aggressive grinds being flat tappets, especialy the cams from mustangs, cougars, and ltd's they're all the same grind, and a lit with lifters isn't even $100. Theres stage 1,2 and,3 cams, i fell this would be a great option opposed to convert to a roller setup

Comment

if yours is a roller-compatible block, a roller cam is a nice option. Some 85's do, some do not. You'll see the raised bosses in the lifter galley (or not) when you remove the intake. If its got the bosses, you'd need to tap them (easy) and get the spider, dogbones, and roller lifters.

also, honestly I wouldn't bother with E6 heads. The E5 heads should flow slightly better at rpm than the e6 do. If you're replacing heads, you want something that is actually worth the effort involved.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Seriously, i don't know why people are put off buying good heads. Really not that expensive these days. I'm poor and cheap but willing to spend money on good parts. That being said i got a cheap set of used edelbrocks for $800. They're nothing special but still a jillion times better than factory iron heads, even gt40s.

Also like Gadgo said, roller cam is the way to go, and you can find grinds for LoPo or HO(better) firing order. Because you're going carbed you don't have to worry about computer bullshit with the firing order so I'd go HO. There's lots of mustang cams out there. Hell i've got 2 spares if you want one. Got a holley systemax cam and some lunati that was in my 347 shortblock lying around.

Comment

Having spent money to make ho-hum heads acceptable, it is indeed cheaper in the long run to just buy decent ones. If I had all this to do over, I'd probably have just bent over and bought some nice aluminum heads and been done with it. At this point unless it blows a head gasket, I have no plans to fool with it though. Hauling iron heads out from under the hood is quite frankly bullshit. I've done it, it sucks, and since then I've gotten older and less motivated to beat myself up doing such things.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Hauling iron heads out from under the hood is quite frankly bullshit. I've done it, it sucks, and since then I've gotten older and less motivated to beat myself up doing such things.
                Fuck that noise. Did that when I swapped the heads on the 92 Grand Marquis. Chest hurt for quite a bit lol. I put aluminum heads on the 351w. Those are like nothing compared to the cast iron heads!

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                  Also you'll want a shift kit and/or HO governor in the trans to raise shift points.
                  Tell me more on this HO governor?

Tim
                  2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                  84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                  85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                  89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                  89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                  1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                  1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                  2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Scour eBay, Corral.net, and even Ford truck forums for aluminum heads if you know what you're looking for/at. Summit Racing has the TFS 11R 170 heads for $1650/pr. Perhaps a bit spendy, but worth it if you're looking to liven up your CV. Can Explorer 5.0s still be found? I think there was 1 left in the engine shed of my junkyard. I'd probably go that route and slap aluminum heads on top with a carb and go from there.

Do you have pics of your headers and the mods that were done to get them to fit? I tried getting mid-length headers in my CV and the driver's side just grazed the frame enough to not want to mount to the cylinder head. If I had a shop or a decent sized garage; I woulda given some serious thought to cutting the frame and welding a concave piece of steel to make that header fit.

Comment

An HO block is a better starting point. As far as the transmission on my 84 it was stock with the exception of a B&M shift improver kit and a 2000rpm stall converter. I had to use two regulators to get my fuel pressure down to the 5 to 6psi for the carb. My ignition system was a hybrid HEI type. Friend found the plans online somewhere, was so long ago I don't remember all the details but it worked very well.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                      Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                      Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                      NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Originally posted by over2tonsofFun View Post
                        Tell me more on this HO governor?

Tim
                        Our turd AOD's have a different governor than mustangs or stuff with HO motors that can use higher shift points due to different powerband. If you buy the Transgo HP shift kit, it comes with a Hi-Rev governor. Honestly not sure how any of it works because Autos are fuckin' voodoo but that's the way i understand it. Currently just considering buying a built AOD from silverfox and being done with it.

Comment

The HO governor is basically NLA at this point
                          The Transgo one may give you more RPM than the engine can make use of.

basic WOT shift rpm is below
                          lopo 4200
                          truck 4500
                          HO 4800
                          HiRev 5500

thats give/take a little bit of course

The governor is actually a really simple device. Its a weight and a spring. It hooks to the output shaft of the trans, and when it spins fast enough the valve opens and forces a shift. Changing the weight or the spring changes the wide open shift point. No real magic to it.

Comment

What if you were to remove the govenor completly, would it not shift, or would you need to have a rachet style shifter, or would you have to do the aod shuffle to shift

Comment

I'm thinking it would never shift... or try to hold out until 8k rpm or so. I think it works on a differential pressure using the governor to force fluid one way with it bypassing via the weighted spring. I could be totally wrong though. You use the AOD shuffle to force the AOD to stay in gear longer instead of using the shift governor. A ratchet style shifter wouldn't make any difference except for how you shift into the gears.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X