No announcement yet.

IM a noob, mods, what do yall think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And this is why I made sure that the house I bought was NOT in an HOA.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Good choice, but its hard to avoid when you live in suberbia

Comment

HOA can bite me. I don't live in one either. I do live next to an asshat but at least he's just one asshat, not a formally organized group of them.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

HOA’s suck.

That said, I want to move somewhere where I can see no one and no one sees me! Live in an non HOA subdivision now and can’t hoard as much as I’d like if no one was watching.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Can you put antique plates on it ? Might make the HOA ease up. I lived in a HOA for a few years. Lucky for me we lived on a corner and there were "extra" parking spaces across the street on the side of our house. Used it for parking about 4-5 of my cars. When I worked on my cars, they went in the garage, sometimes with the door closed. I just had to keep the cars in the extra parking clean.
            Does the HOA allow car covers ? That would be another option.

Comment

Update if anyone cares. Sooo, let it be known. i have come very far from where i started. long away is the flat tappet 302 and aod. So it all started going to work one day and i blew up my transmission. atleast my D and OD turned into 4000rpm going 30mph. All i had was 1st gear. so when i got home from work i began that swap which I intended moment i found a T5 for 100. yanked out the aod with my dad on saturday. we turned my auto pedals into manual using stock mustang pedal clutch quadrant. and stuck the t5 behind lopo 2bbl 302. a few months later I finished building my new roller 302. Motor from 2000 explorer, that meant car now had gt40p heads, lunati cam 218/228 @50 112 LSA .536/.536 lift. Weiand Action Plus intake Edelbrock 4bbl. This lasted me about 8 months before i messed up that motor. i Was going 80MPH in 2ND GEAR!!!! It just kept on pulling. This was with 3.08's due to rear axel swap because i hit a pole thanks to rain and going a little too fast around a corner. I got the car dyno'd with lunati cam and gt40p's 245 RWHP and 341RWTQ. thats like 290/380ish crank numbers. When i was going 80 in 2nd i was on my way home and the next morning i heard a loud knock. long story short tore motor apart and no rod knock, but bent connecting rod, piston hitting crankshaft counter weight. My car Now has a 351w Bored .030 over. same lunati cam edelbrock performer intake. same carb for now. FloTek 180cc, compcams full roller rockers. currently breaking in new motor but man is it a hoot. i want wait to see what it has in store. i havent gone over 2500rpms while driving but boy is it torquey.

Comment

The ups and downs of working on cars.

I am very interested in seeing how things turned out for you. I did my swap back in march/april. Amazing difference in the feel of the car when you control what gear you are in.

Welcome to the 5 speed club!

What did you do at the firewall for your clutch cable? This is my set up here. THICK piece of metal bolted to cowl lip as well as firewall and firewall adjuster bolted to that. mega solid..does not flex at all.

Going into all of this through my research the clutch cable firewall dillema was one of my biggest concerns so I researched a bit and found out this plate was offered by pier and figured I would try to adapt it to the older cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swi4CeJFnm4

you can see the plate I purchased from him behind the firewall adjuster here:

Way cool and looking to see what you have done. I am sure it is loads of fun compared to the old trans.

EDIT:

I used a 1985/6 (earlier years may be similar) tilt wheel upper steering column cover to get rid of the hole for the automatic shifter lever. Catch is you it does not just fasten to the existing lower. I have a 1982 lower steering column cover and it all works nicely together and look the way it is supposed to look.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post841809
                Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-06-2020, 05:51 AM.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Sounds like a nice cruiser. I missed this thread by a year. I wouldn't make any of these cars into a full drag car; but I would make it into a strong street/strip car. Like Dave said, whatever you do, just have fun doing it. And this car sounds like fun!

Comment

Yeah my Dad and I did the same for the firewall. just just welded a piece of steel to the firewall to strengthen it up then used a bolt to keep the cable connected, then used washers to adjust the slack out of it. Before it has the 351, even with the stock 302. it way WAY WAY more fun to drive! being able to do burns out much easier, spun the tires much easier too. and was defiantly much faster being i could shift when ever I wanted. Then next throwing in the cammed 302 with gt40p's blast to drive. And Of course with the cammed, aluminum headed 351, well its getting kinda annoying now. I think my carb is a little too small, at idle itll be around 450-500 rpm, doesnt stall out being i got it all balanced. but the AFR sits around 21/22/23. before with the 302 it sat around 14/15 at idle. and at WOT it would go all the way down to high 11's. I havent taken the 351 to WOT because im still breaking in the Motor, but im very sure ill need to get a little more cfm. Right now it has a 600 edelbrock. I want to get a 650 or 670 Holley of some sorts. Im still working out the kinks, but the carb is about as tuned as it will get. heres and old video of the 302. https://youtu.be/GUL9PhsdQ1A

Comment

Haha. Looking good. Race car indeed. Have fun with it and be safe.
                      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Sweet... are you going to get it dyno'd with the new 351w?
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

carb size won't have anything to do with fuel mix at idle. Either your mix screws are too far in or it has a vac leak. Fuel doesn't flow through the main jets or even the transition slots at idle speed.

Ratio at anything above idle is more likely jet related. Possible it will benefit from more carb, but you can probably get quite a lot out of just making the jets correct with the carb you have now.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The carb now is an Edelbrock 1400, 600 cfm. I had messed with the idle screws TOO MUCH and there has been VERY MINIMAL difference in afr. My dad thinks the idle circuit is dirty and thats why the idle screws arent doing very much. screwd all the way in, car wont run (obviously) turned it about 2 turns out, Smells very rich. but afr would still sit around 19-1, thats been as rich as I can get it at idle. it pulls about 17in of vacuum at idle sitting around 800rpm now. Ive messed with the carb and this is as good as I can get it. If your familiar with edelbrocks, you know about the metering rods and springs, I have the best springs and rods, very responsive. The go pedal is very touchy off the line. Ive been looking at rebuild brawler carbs. I could get a rebuild Brawler carb for 249 right off of holleys website. My plans for this motor are to eventualy stroke it and make it into a 392 stroker. I think it will be smart to get a 750 carb, I can either get one in 650 cfm, or 750. I think 650 would be perfect for a 351, but would provide little room for growth in the future. If i would get a 750, That would eliminate me having to buy another carburator in the future for the bigger engine. I dont have any plans to Dyno the car. I got my last motor dyno's because there was a 2pulls for $80 event by me. If there is another even near me i will definatly go to it and update yall. My dad thinks the carb is fine and my afr is reading incorrectly because there isnt enough pipe after the O2 sensor, however i have a whole full length muffler after the sensor. I think its got to do with the cam. Its advanced 6 degrees, and i think maybe that has been throwing off the afr at low rpm .

Comment

Just a quick update if anyone is checking in. The edelbrock is long gone, it was wayyyy too small of a carb, it had great throttle response, but when you hit the gas for a second to rev it, the rpms would drop very very slowly as if my foot was still on the pedal. I went to a swap meet and found a 700cfm double pumper. Don't forget the crown vic has a t5. And I rebuild the holley, put in two primary metering blocks so I could have 4 corner idle, all this required was drilling out a hole on the secondary side of the main body. I put in 6.5 power valves and a set of 60 and 72 jets, got it to idle very rich at first, my dad never explained that on a holley turning the idle mixture screws adjust the gas and not the air like on an edelbrock. I finally got it to be a good afr at idle about mid 13-low 14. I was very pleased with that. Idle sits around 18inch of vacuum, 1100 rpm, cam is choppy below 900 so I like it sounding like a normal car. I'm still really breaking in this motor, and haven't taking it to wide open throttle as much. The afr at WOT was around 15-16 so I never hit it too much. I was going to put in a bigger squirter and bigger jets a few days ago when I stripped the threads for the secondary squirter and had no other choice but to switch everything to my 800cfm mainbody. With wanting to richen up the afr at WOT I threw in bigger jets, I only have a few sets of jets, so my selection is limited, I put in 76 and 81's and the car runs much better. It idles very easily too, I'm not sure why but the bigger carb is a little easier for cold starts, and when I press the skinny pedal the afr goes down to high 11's it's a little more rich than I would want, but I'm pleased with how it runs. I got gas today and with 174 mile trip on my trip minder the car only took 9.8 gallons. I'm not sure my trip minder is working properly, but if it is WOW. Future plans are to install a turbo. I bought a gt45 knock off turbo a few days ago. I just need to finished buying a few parts like a wastegate and blow off valve and some piping and I'm pretty much good to go. My goal is going to be an easy 500hp at 5psi of boost. My dad's car is a 2004 gto he's building a stroker ls for, it's a 395 ls2 based motor, and his goal is 500rwhp and I just want to beat him for less money with a Ford, lol. But I think I'll be needing to Install bigger jets for the carb, I think 800cfm is plenty of carburator. I do need a kit to change my pump cams, but that's the least of my worries. If anyone is intrested I can make videos of it all together or part by part. It's funny to see how far I've come on this thread. I tore off both front and back bumpers and I LOST 160LBS. Well worth it, but when the turbo goes on, I'll be putting on a full single exhaust, I want to run two mufflers and go over the tail pipe out the end, and take off all my stickers and stash them somewhere. This turbo will be turning my car into a sleeper, like it or hate it this is happening, Who said a crown vic cant be fast??? And the t5 isn't staying, I bought a tr3550 a few months ago, I think at low boost it should be able to live behind the 351 for a while. My t5 has held up to alot of abuse. Thanks for reading!

Comment

Id like anyone producing content around these cars.

Is the carb you are currently using (the 800cfm one) a blow through capable. I hear about turbo carbureted cars need a blow through carbs for things to work.

I think you need bumper in order to be a sleeper. You can look into lightening the inner structure of the bumper as a compromise for safety and sleeper look.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X