No announcement yet.

IM a noob, mods, what do yall think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random mostly unrelated fact: If you ever lose second gear in an AOD, the AOD shuffle allows use of second gear after the 1-3 shift. If the cause of loss of the intermediate one way clutch.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

From my understanding the way shifters work in automatic cars, theres a cable that connects to the shifter it self and to the transmission. Depending on how far the cable is movie i.e shifting from P to R changes the length of the cable and forces pressure in the valve body somewhere so something opens up and the tranny goes into what ever you put it into, and for D its all relying on the valve body and pressure. Ive played around with rachet shifters and thats what ive seen. So if you put the rachet shifter into rachet mode to keep it in 1st or 2nd, With out a governor, would it be a sort of clutchless manual, or would you get into 1st and blow your motor from revving it too high? This could be avoided with a tach, but i thought the peice that changes your rev is a rev limiter or is that something else. This is a lot of new info

Comment

The only thing a ratchet shifter does is replace the column shifter. It still uses the same cable attachment on the transmission and therefore cannot change the way the transmission shifts. Only modifying the valve body of the transmission will change the way it shifts. You would still have to do the AOD shuffle with the ratchet shifter as there is no 2nd gear position on a standard AOD. You still only get OD(4), D(3), 1.

as for revving too high... the stock lopo cam just can't. It runs out of steam between 3500 and 4000 rpm. It just can't go higher. An HO cam might be able to over rev if only for the reason that the valves may float if the valve springs are worn out. Shifting into low gear with the column shifter or the ratchet shifter would have the same result and may cause damage if going too fast at the time if it doesn't just bog down the system and cause the rear tires to skid or break something like the input shaft.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You'd need a manual valve body to do that, not messing with the governor. I suspect if you remove the governor entirely it would completely stop working since there would be a large open fluid passage that would leak all of the fluid pressure out. Never tried it, and I'm not inclined to.

you'd be better off trying to shim the stock spring with a washer than removing it. Exactly how much washer you'd need to alter the shift points I don't know. Not too hard to experiment but its kind of a pain in the ass taking the tailshaft housing off every time to fool with it.

stock cam doesn't make any power up there anyway so there is no point. The Explorer cam is done with by 4800, the HO cam with heads and intake that breathe and appropriate springs will get you 5200-5500 maybe but thats about it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Funny how the lopo cam ran in the old car with the better heads, intake, and 1.7RR's. Having no tach i couldn't honestly say what RPM i was turning but manually shifting, that turd pulled soooooooo much longer than it did when stock. Funny thing is that i'd usually just shift it out of fear. If only i'd known what borrowed time it was on anyway....

Comment

That's because you were used to stock mediocre LoPo performance haha. Had you installed a better cam, it probably would have been even better. I don't understand the appeal of trying to make a drag racer out of a cruise car. Just had my Town Car out the other day to chauffer my special lady friend around and the LoPo was fabulous, you guys need to stop being in a hurry.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I'm starting to come around to that way of thinking at times. I enjoy driving my slow-ass diesel more than I ever expected to.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nah, slow is boring. With the big tires and apparently working trac-loc, this pile won't even do a burnout. I don't want a supercar, just something i can rip around in a bit. Just like 500hp or so. The LoPo moves these turds around admirably, but is dreadfully boring. When the fan is louder than the exhaust, it's a dud in my book.

Comment

Thats why you need side pipes, or side exit exhaust, or atleast a dump https://youtu.be/5Z5bzzqtVAA

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                      Nah, slow is boring. With the big tires and apparently working trac-loc, this pile won't even do a burnout. I don't want a supercar, just something i can rip around in a bit. Just like 500hp or so. The LoPo moves these turds around admirably, but is dreadfully boring. When the fan is louder than the exhaust, it's a dud in my book.
                      Originally posted by 85LTDCrownHip View Post
                      Thats why you need side pipes, or side exit exhaust, or atleast a dump https://youtu.be/5Z5bzzqtVAA
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The silence is probably what I enjoy most about the diesel. Also if you've ever heard a loud diesel engine, it sounds like someone is trying to anally rape a giraffe.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          The silence is probably what I enjoy most about the diesel. Also if you've ever heard a loud diesel engine, it sounds like someone is trying to anally rape a giraffe.
                          I'll admit i've never seen/heard giraffe rape but i've heard shitty-sounding diesels. I also will not be putting side pipes on my car. I don't want obnoxious noise, just beefy, throaty v8. I already have an exhaust system that sounded pretty good on the other car. It'll likely be much quieter on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            I might sound dumb. But I can assure you, my vic is a little bit louder than my fan.

Comment

I think it’s cool you are having fun with it and working on it.

When I first got my car I worked on it endlessly. Some good some bad but it all was fun. I look back and wish I may have done things differently, better or not at all but I had fun.

You do what you want to your car and have fun with it.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah Ill be doing all that I want until HOA tells me it cant be in my drive way, already happend once, it needs paint because right now its a "Junk" car. It makes me furious that some old moms think that a strong healthy Crown Vic with a bad paint job is "Junk". Same thing happend to my dad '54 Ford Customline. He swapped in a 351C from a 71 Montego, fully built the motor, large cam and everything runs like a champ, but HOA said it too is a "Junk" Car. Makes me mad sometimes, but thats life

Comment

Working...
                                X