PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: wont stay running at idle

Default wont stay running at idle

2 barrel 302 crown vic wont idle for more than 30 seconds, it will start running rough and then shuts off, if I hold the gas it will stay running. Fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor have been changed two months ago, prior to these events occuring, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

When you’re holding down the gas, does it run smooth or does it seem broken up?

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (323K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

when im holding the gas it does feel rough

What ignition system are you using with carburetor setup? Are you using the original TFI system, a Duraspark system, or something completely different?

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (323K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

original setup

I might consider the pickup in the distributor to be getting flaky or the TFI module itself is shot. Some part stores will test the TFI. It may take a few tests to determine if it’s shot. I had similar symptoms when mine went out. Car ran, then ran crappy and wouldn’t go unless floored, and it ran poorly while doing so. If it cooled off some, it would crank up, but eventually failed to where it wouldn’t restart.

I might check there first considering you’ve already done most of the other ignition stuff.

My Cars:

I might consider buying a new distributor aswell, not really sure which one to get on rockauto, there are 5 different options and they say incorrect part# will cause damage. I also looked at my distributor and i dont see the mounted module, i only see the vacuum advance, i do however have the fender mounted module. I dont understand why the distributor is different.
    Last edited by 1985crownvicltd85; 01-13-2019 at 10:39 PM.

So is your distributor:

No.1

No.2

Considering your '85 has been carbureted, I would figure a lot of the electronics that drove the CFI system are missing.

Since you mentioned you have a fender mounted module, I would be led to believe it looks like this?

That's a Duraspark module. It also can fail out on you and cause running trouble.

My Cars:

You sure that's a carburetor and not CFI? With the air cleaner in place the two systems look very similar. I had an '85 LTD CV, was CFI....
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    You sure that's a carburetor and not CFI? With the air cleaner in place the two systems look very similar. I had an '85 LTD CV, was CFI....
    I though he said it was carb swapped in his other thread, but I may have misread that.

My Cars:

i have the no1 distributor with the fender mounted module, im positive the carb has been swapped before, because im pretty sure its supposed to have the variable venturi

Quote Originally Posted by 1985crownvicltd85 View Post
    i have the no1 distributor with the fender mounted module, im positive the carb has been swapped before, because im pretty sure its supposed to have the variable venturi
    Is your car a US or Canadian market car? Canadian cars kept the carburetor until SEFI was introduced. US market cars use CFI, which look like a carb but have two fuel injectors mounted inside.

Got any pictures?

My Cars:

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Does it smoke black or grey when it starts to do this? Thats a sign of over-fueling. Could be stuck choke, improperly adjusted fuel mix, leaky needle seat, float level set wrong, or too much fuel pump pressure that is forcing the seat open.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

the car is a canadian vehicle and it does have white/ grey smoke only when cold. once weather is warm I have no issues.

If it’s a cold issue only, verify the choke cap is getting 12v with the engine running. Verify the choke moves freely and can close and open.
    With the engine cold and off, press the accelerator once and slowly release. Verify the choke is closed. Also it should catch a high idle step down below the choke. In theory the car should start. In reality, I usually have to give it a bit of gas pedal while cranking. Watch the choke, it should slowly open once the car starts. If it opens too fast, it’s adjustable on the choke cap by turning it. Can’t remember which way but they are usually marked.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

thanks ill try that some time this week

the chokes usually want ~9v or so off the alternator stator. 12v makes them open too fast.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

so if that wire from the choke (which goes to the alt) is getting 12v+ it means the alt needs to be replaced or rebuilt?

Just make sure it goes to the alternator, not to just any random key-on power source.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    the chokes usually want ~9v or so off the alternator stator. 12v makes them open too fast.
    Forgot that. This is why gadget has “Magic brain” as his avatar. Thanks for the correction there.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers