No announcement yet.

Stiff steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to check those steering column bearings to see if they are still good?

Is it possible to get a grease gun in there (with a needle fitting) to service it?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Ok, Update. I managed to get the shaft off (intermediate) and the U joints were fine. HOWEVER, the bearing that resides in the firewall was stuck on the steering shaft race to the point that the steering shaft and bearing were spinning as one unit and treating the rubber grommet as the bearing. I managed to get the bearing off. It seems as the shaft (around the plastic race) swelled to the point that it restricted rotation of the bearing. WEIRD!

On a different topic, I notice that the steering shaft by the steering box cannot be bought. However I did notice some play in the rubber puck. How have you guys fixed this?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I don't believe its a bearing. I am pretty sure its a bushing/sleeve. I have one from a 97 LTC Cartier I parted with 75K miles. Feels smooth and U joints work fine, A little rusty on the firewall side, but works fine. VEIGHTPETE@GMAIL.COM
        Attached Files
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Hey! I tried to upload the pic, but no dice.

The part you have a pic of is what I took out. Housed in that rubber grommet is a needle pin bearing that is supposed to rotate freely around the shaft. Mine didn't the bearing was permanently fixed the shaft

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

IS there any way to fix the lower shaft (rubber puck). I definitely feel play there

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
            X