power steering pump barfs fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power steering pump barfs fluid

Yesterday I had the car on jacks with the front wheels off to grease my steering linkage. I turned the steering wheel a few times, with the engine off, and the power steering pump popped its cap and barfed out a bunch of fluid.

Surely that is not normal?

It doesn't do it when I drive the car. I've seen it do this before with the wheels on the car, on the ground, engine off. I was surprised to see it happen with the front end in the air and little friction.

That’s normal from my experience. I start the car if I need to turn the steering wheel much.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The pump is not circulating and you are forcing fluid where there is no place for it to go. It is completely normal.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

+1

Had my coil quit on me (moisture getting to it), rolled into a parking lot and found the PS fluid all over the inner fender and air cleaner because the engine was off while I maneuvered into the parking lot.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Super lame. Thanks for the info though.

Comment

yep, they do that. Don't turn the wheel with the engine not running. Its a Ford "feature". Does it with racks and with steering boxes too. I think its got something to do with the pressure valving in the pump. It ends up working like a check valve so if you turn the wheel it returns fluid but doesn't pull more into the other side to replace it. It ends up with more in the can than actually fits, so it pukes out the lid.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is that only for the pumps with integrated reservoirs? I've never had an issue with my 2000 MGM with the separate reservoir.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

might just be a quirk of the old CII pump, not honestly sure.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's normal don't do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X