2.73 to 3.55 on 2011 GMQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.73 to 3.55 on 2011 GMQ

Eventually would like to change the stock 2.73 to a 3.55 on my 2011 GMQ. What else would I have to do to keep the rest of the drive train happy. Would I need to buy a tuner to compensate for the gear change or is there something else that could be done to correct or prevent drivability issues.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

A Mo’s Speed Shop tune is the easiest way to compensate for it. If you plan to go that route though, I’d do all your tune requiring modifications at once/before you get the tune. Do a dual exhaust, MZT and maybe a throttle body if you’re planning on doing any of them, then do the gears and get the tune.
    2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS “The Douche” - 70mm throttle body, P71 airbox, 21mm rear sway bay, dual exhaust, Dodge rims, 89K and counting. 4/2018-
    1966 Ford Thunderbird (390FE) “Fordy McFordface” - engine rebuild No. 3. 11/2016-
    RIP 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS “Jumba” - gone too soon, 229K. 6/2017-2/2018
    RIP 2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT “Featherbrick” - gone too late, 156K POS. 6/2016-9/2016.
    Sold 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - 198K. 6/2016-4/2018

Comment

Yeah, you'll want to get the PCM tuned for the gears. I'll be getting a tuning kit myself to do exactly that to the 99 PCM I have to swap into my PI swapped 93 that currently has a 01 PCM in it. I'm also using the kit to try to eliminate some CEL issues with stuff that my car is not even equipped with. I won't be able to help you since it doesn't support past 06 though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I already have the dual exhaust done. The gears will come later. I'm considering a tuner from SCT after the swap, I also want to use it to make the transmission shift snappier and raise the speed governor. As far as mods to the engine I probably will leave it stock for a while. Want to keep this car more of a fun cruiser and not a hotrod (been there done that)

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
        Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
        Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
        NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Just note that SCT (because of legal fiascoes with the gov) can no longer eliminate emission items. If you want to do that, it may be better to try HP tuners. Found this out when I got the tune done on the 99 PCM. I have an SCT that's interfaced with that thing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X