The Crown Shit. The never ending story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    yeah, other than obvious physical damage you're not going to notice a bad plug wire. The water spritz in the dark will show a lot of things. Look close down inside the plug wells too, if the boots have begun to break down you may be firing through the boots instead of down in the cylinder.
    there were no visible splits in the boots, the only one that had me scratching my head for a second was the one shown a couple posts back when i did the plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ray

1997 Crown Victoria LX "Crown Shit"/"Crown Marquis" SENT TOI SCRAP
    1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

Comment

Frank as I said those wires look like the orignal put on the car just before it rolled off the assembly pland at St. Thomas Canada, I had to replace my nasty stock wires due to causing a horrible miss.

Comment

fuel filter things.this was my old one, really needed a replacement. this broke off while my dad and i were pulling the side going onto the filter.

what needs to replaced now? all i can see needing replacement is that elbow. anything else going into that or is it just the elbow bit?

Ray

Comment

The elbow has a ribbed bit thats busted off inside the line on the car. It should also have a plastic "hairpin" retainer that goes in the slots on the elbow.

Worst case, you can fix that with EFI-rated rubber line and clamps.

that filter is *nasty*. Did you catch any nasty crap when you dumped it out? I usually like to dump them just to see what was inside.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

there was some gross shit coming out. which is why i really wanted to replace this just to be sure that's all i needed to do. if the miss continues i'll be doing wires soon.

should i just head to the junkyard and try pulling one off a vic that looks like it has a new-ish filter and pull what's left inside the line? seems like the best course of action at the moment.

Ray

Comment

Not sure if that plastic line runs all the way up to the top of the tank or not, but if you can get the whole piece from the tank to the filter you'd be ahead of the game. If its a short piece that goes to a steel line, you can just rob the fitting off a junkyard car, cut away the plastic on the fitting and on your car, and replace the plastic with EFI rubber hose.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

not the best photo but that's what i just took under the car, bottom right on the picture, it's just like a foot or some thing of rubber hose, i'll snag that and the plastic fitting from the JY tomorrow and pick up a hose clamp for added security.

Ray

Comment

something was bound to break on this thing, it's been going too well for too long. took a hammer on the filter in a vise to get the elbow off, also pretty sure something broke in that fitting too.
                  Ray

Comment

Been there, done that. You can buy that elbow and a nylon to nylon compression fitting at most parts stores, prolly run you $20. Alternatively, get as much of the nylon line off a junkyard car as you can and get a nylon line compression fitting or barb and splice it onto yours. The fuel lines on a later Aero are stainless, the lines are also '96-'97 specific IIRC, although the nylon part is the same on a '98-'02 as well. I'd go for the nylon to nylon compression fitting and either new or donor line with elbow because the nylon line is hard to get a barb or new fitting onto without the special tool they make for them. The nylon line compression fittings work well, they have "teeth" in them that bite into the line so they aren't coming off. You could fix it with EFI rated rubber fuel line and clamps, but I've had bad luck with that popping off at inconvenient times (my buddy's '89 and '91 both got that "fix" because I didn't dare disturb the crusty steel lines more than I had too).
                    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

I didn't want to worry about the nylon to steel line connection so I just grabed those ends from the JY.
                      A Taurus has the correct end and is fairly easy to get at (no idea if they are easy to get at on a Panther, and box lines are usually rotted). I think it was mid '90s model Taurus that had stainless steel lines, but flaring those wasn't happening so I went back and got the newer ones which are steel with a black coating of some sort.

I cut the line on my car, throw my union end on, flare the line and then do the same on the JY end. The line is 5/16. I went through a few JY ends before getting my flare right. With a cheap HF flare tool the 5/16 hole is in the middle furthest from the two screws on the tool which makes me think the clamping force of the tool is lower than it would be closer to one of the screws.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

went to the junkyard today and got myself a new fitting and rubber hose, couldn't get the nylon line just quite.

then proceeded to cut just enough of the nylon line off to clear out the rest of the plastic, and heat the line up to press the "new" fitting on...

didn't really press on... got one barb in and couldn't go in anymore, just kept kinking up. Gonna be whipping around a fusion for a couple days so i don't have to stress about getting it done immediately. though i'd like to get it done tomorrow night.

5 minute job? more like 5+ hour job.
                        Ray

Comment

LoL it seems every project I get into ends up taking hours or days, never minutes.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            LoL it seems every project I get into ends up taking hours or days, never minutes.
                            Same. I’m on day 2 of a 60 minute trailer hitch install.

To the OP, you’ll learn lots on this ride. Sometimes fun, usually not, but it usually pays off when you realize you fixed something for little money that most people would have to pay half their paycheck for.
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yep, I've done a project on one car that took a few hours, then did the same project on the other car the next weekend and it turned into days/weeks. Fun stuff (sometimes).
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

i'm definitely grateful i've been learning a lot with this bruiser, i definitely get it. it's just a little outlet for me.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                                X