The Crown Shit. The never ending story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Crown Shit. The never ending story.

About three years ago, my father and I bought a 97 Crown Victoria LX with 196k miles for about $200.
    The car was supposed to be the donor for my 86 Mustang, that project has since evolved into something different and I decided to hold on to this Vic to be used as a daily/workhorse.

Then the car sat for two years.

Fast forward to about June, I decide to drag the car into my driveway to begin the maintenance to get it road worthy.

Here's what i've done:
    New tires & brakes
    Fuel pump
    Starter
    Transmission cooling lines
    sway bar links.
    "matching" door from a 04 GMQ
    Rear brake lines

As of right now I'm replacing the transmission, forward clutch burnt out due to losing fluid.
    I really have no clue if i'm going to keep this car long enough to make something out of it, i know if i end up getting rid of it i'll probably buy another aero whale style car.

any tips with putting in the new trans? things i should look out for? I'll continue to update through this thread as my time progresses with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ray

1997 Crown Victoria LX "Crown Shit"/"Crown Marquis" SENT TOI SCRAP
    1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

Looks good for a MI car.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
    2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
      Looks good for a MI car.
      i'm more so concerned with how the frame looks, it's not too pretty

Ray

Comment

I haven´t had a chance to work on the car lately because I have it in a high school auto shop, and school´s been out since Tuesday. Got the pump seal and tailshaft seal done. Just have to get it bolted up to the engine.
        Ray

Comment

No real progress today, keep forgetting to take more pictures of the undercarriage and replacement trans. Supposedly all of the Midwest is supposed to be real cold for the next couple of days so there won´t be anything getting done until Friday.
          Ray

Comment

Out of curiosity, what would the Crown Vic have donated to the Fox Body?

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
              My guess is motor?
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                drivetrain. my fox is a V6 car so the 2v would be a decent upgrade.

Ray

Comment

finally had school and got to continue work. AND more pictures of the undercarriage!
                  it's not at all beautiful but it's a michigan car so i expect nothing more.

got the linkage off with a lot of persuasion and now i've gotta replace the bushing for the linkage if i can ever find one. Almost ready to start putting it back in, have all bolts accounted for and got the torque converter seated. Only to realize i should drain the old fluid that's in it. will update tomorrow

Ray

Comment

here's the bushing you need: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7341A/1983-...inkage-Bushing

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

bushing ordered last night, pushing this project back another week. started getting the transmission lined up to the engine today, was really pushing to get a couple bolts in but couldn't get the torque converter lined up to the flywheel in time.

this is what's left of a stud on the exhaust manifold,

Ray

Comment

Manifold? Rustifold!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

finally got the whole thing lined up, starting to thread bolts in now. she's finally coming together!
                          forgot to mention... you see there's a bit of what's supposed to be a hole above the first bolt? that broke off when i was prying the transmission from the engine... i was prying from the opposite side of the transmission too, just kinda broke off.

Ray

Comment

alright so i've got just about every bolt in and tight and a question i currently have, what would be the best approach to the two top bolts on the bellhousing? it's up in the air on a lift with about three pole jacks underneath the car holding up the exhaust and other parts, so bringing the car down wouldn't really be possible.

Ray

Comment

I usually just get a ton of extensions and a swivel (edit: swivel at the socket end of the extensions), and my arms are skinny enough that I can reach up to make sure I'm on the bolts. It's kind of a pain.
                              I'm not familiar with the 4.6, but on the 5.0 having the upper intake off makes those top two bolts really easy get at from the top. If getting to them from the bottom is not happening for you, throw as much stuff back together as you can then lower the car and see if getting at them from the top is an option.

As for torque specs, I just make sure they're tight. It hasn't been a problem on any of my cars and half dozen trans installs over the years.
                              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 02-09-2019, 12:57 AM.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                              X