No announcement yet.

The Crown Shit. The never ending story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

picked up new plugs today, got the NGK V-Power 4177. it fit the very tight budget i'm running on, gonna see how much i can crank out in half an hour before a track meet then do the rest after i finish my events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ray

1997 Crown Victoria LX "Crown Shit"/"Crown Marquis" SENT TOI SCRAP
    1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

Comment

Originally posted by frankenstang View Post
      picked up new plugs today, got the NGK V-Power 4177. it fit the very tight budget i'm running on, gonna see how much i can crank out in half an hour before a track meet then do the rest after i finish my events.

Should be much better than what is/was in there.

Off topic: what events are you in? 800m, 3200m relay, and 1600m relay for me back in the day. I wanted to do the 1600m but coach wanted me in the relays and a nagging hip issue kept from doing more. Good luck!
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
        Off topic: what events are you in? 800m, 3200m relay, and 1600m relay for me back in the day. I wanted to do the 1600m but coach wanted me in the relays and a nagging hip issue kept from doing more. Good luck!
        I'm a thrower, so shot put and discus. Big man doesn't run too well. Thanks!
        Ray

Comment

Got my plugs done, sounds a little bit better now.
          passenger side (left=front)

Driver side (left =front)

found a really crusty plug too, this is cyl 3

and here's the video to go with the new plugs
          https://youtu.be/qvJhTwXP-Jk

Ray

Comment

misfire came back HELLA early this morning. within a mile. got codes ran @advance, cyl 1, 5, 7. pulled 1
            LEANNNNNNNN

up next, fuel filter. that was crusty as hell. my shop teacher has been out for the last two days too. so nice.

Ray

Comment

EFi typically does look like it runs lean. I honestly doubt it is. More likely its an ignition problem, crappy wires or not fully seated wires most likely. I've had old wires fail once disturbed too.

of course if the fuel filter looks shitty and is unknown age, that needs to be changed just because.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                EFi typically does look like it runs lean. I honestly doubt it is. More likely its an ignition problem, crappy wires or not fully seated wires most likely. I've had old wires fail once disturbed too.

of course if the fuel filter looks shitty and is unknown age, that needs to be changed just because.
                that's the thing, the wires don't look terrible, functional at best. the misfire is intermittent, usually after a few miles. when i first took off this morning it was doing the thing my mustang is doing that's a fuel related problem. just wouldn't get up to speed or rev, idle was audibly low from a cold start too. That cleared up promptly but then the missing started not even a mile after that. if the filter doesn't clear it up, the only thing really left is injectors and wires.

Also took a look at the codes printed off from autozone last week again, saw a code for "system lean". Just remembered about that which makes this whole fuel thing make sense.

Ray

Comment

Frank you got to use the platnum tipped spark plugs on your car due to your ignition is hot and normal plugs won't work and visa vers, your ignition is hotter than a standard street ignition like the distriutor ignition as in my time I had to pull the platnum plugs from many cars with the standard street ignition so some food for thought.

Comment

Meh. I've had NGK coppers in my '97 for the last several years. It runs fine on them. It has a long standing issue with eating the plugs in cylinders 7 and 8, I got tired of replacing the somewhat expensive double platinum plugs every 10-15k, so it got coppers the last time around. I should investigate why it doesn't like the plugs in those 2 cylinders while the other 6 look fine, but it runs perfectly fine and its not really worth the effort when the car is half dead anyway so as long as it runs that's all I care at this point.

Yes, long term, you'll have longevity issues with copper plugs with the ignition system you have, but they should not be to blame for the misfire issues you have. I'd be suspecting the wires, the "goo" on the ends of those new plugs is evidence of the car having had a coolant/oil leak that filled the plug wells. Chances are, the boots on the wires are likely NFG after having soaked in that for however long it was like that. Even if the wire its self is fine, you can still get arcing down in the plug wells from a crappy boot.
                    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

not too concerned with wires at the moment, soon enough though. if the misfire continues after the filter change i'll start considering that.

Ray

Comment

and the goo was on the old plugs, anti seize maybe?

Ray

Comment

If a particular plug needs it you can always go up one heat range to keep it clean.
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

wires almost never "look" bad. At night, with the hood bulb disconnected, spray a fine mist of water (cheap spray bottle works wonders here) under the hood and check for sparks along the wires. If you see a light show... the wires are crap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, other than obvious physical damage you're not going to notice a bad plug wire. The water spritz in the dark will show a lot of things. Look close down inside the plug wells too, if the boots have begun to break down you may be firing through the boots instead of down in the cylinder.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                                wires almost never "look" bad. At night, with the hood bulb disconnected, spray a fine mist of water (cheap spray bottle works wonders here) under the hood and check for sparks along the wires. If you see a light show... the wires are crap.
                                just did that... no visible light show.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                                X