No announcement yet.

The Crown Shit. The never ending story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty much the same for the 4.6 from what I can tell.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

could also lower the end of the trans a bit to give you a bit more wiggle room at top of bell.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
        could also lower the end of the trans a bit to give you a bit more wiggle room at top of bell.
        might be able to tilt it down more than i already have, i'll see whenever i have class again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Ray

1997 Crown Victoria LX "Crown Shit"/"Crown Marquis" SENT TOI SCRAP
        1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

Comment

got one of the top bolts threaded in today, spent the rest of the time trying to bend the bracket holding the filler tube to actually thread the last one in, think i got it set good enough to get the last one on. hope i'm set.

Ray

Comment

spent my morning with my arm shoved between fiberglass insulation and a transmission. finally gave in and pulled the original filler tube and rinsed it out. Hoping I can get this done tomorrow.

On to the next thing.... While unbolting the passenger side of the exhaust to drop the trans down, I sheared a stud on the passenger side Manifold (pictured above). Would I be better replacing the header all together or should I still attempt to twist the stud out?
            Ray

Comment

Heat will help you remove that stud. Might need to drill it out.

Do I see a broken engine block where the starter mounts? Post #13. It looks like everything will work ok anyway.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                Do I see a broken engine block where the starter mounts? Post #13. It looks like everything will work ok anyway.
                opposite side of where the starter mounts, that was when i was prying the transmission free too. AND i was prying from the passenger side, not the driver side where the broken bit is.

Ray

Comment

On the 5.0 the bolts that bolt the manifold to the engine have all come out easy for me. This may be true for the 4.6, so removing the manifold (you'll want new bolts most likely) will make it easier to get the broken stud out with heat as mentioned. Dad took mine to the shop where he works and got mine out so I don't really have any first-hand advice. If removing the manifold is an option for you, that's my vote.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

id pull the manifold do either drill or to replace. either way, every few hours as you work, or everyday, whatever is convenient, blast the hell out of the manifold bolts with PB, WD40, oil, whetever you got. but do it multiple times. and use heat when you can to help remove the bolt. heat the area surrounding the bolts not the bolts themselves. good luck man, glad to see an aero still on the road!
                    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

haven't been able to work on it since last friday, won't be able to see it until wednesday, guess all i've got left is finishing the brakes and exhaust issues.

also this
                      gonna assume i'm gonna want to get a bolt and nut actually on there but i cannot get them off from the replacement transmission. i took off that part, let it soak in penetrating fluid for 24 hours, but nothing really happened. held it in a vice and took an impact to it, got the bolt free from that little part but no budge with the nut. It really looks stuck in there on both ends so I'm tempted to just leave it how it is. thoughts on that? Maybe take JB weld to it just to insure it doesn't break loose?

Ray

Comment

alrighty, got all of the big things on the car, crossmember, driveshaft, trans cooler lines. Still haven't put the starter on, I'll get to that tomorrow. I'll likely have it off of the lift tomorrow to move it to another part of the shop to start on the manifold. I can almost see it on the road now!
                        Ray

Comment

almost got it off of the lift friday, realized i never slid the linkage back on. and i guess i might have lost the new grommet? i had it with the rest of the new parts, i'll keep looking around for that. was going to use the old one but i couldn't get the linkage to slip over it to get it secure.

Ray

Comment

Good news! got the car to move under it's own power! Just gonna clean up a few things and make sure things won't fly off when i'm driving, finish the brakes, then probably take it to an exhaust shop to get my exhaust all buttoned up. But, it moves!
                            Ray

Comment

Nice! Always a good feeling when all you have left is the little stuff.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Congratulations! Nice work.

Comment

Working...
                                X