No announcement yet.

The Crown Shit. The never ending story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one thing that was apparent when it was taken for a short test drive was that the speedometer wasn't moving, i'll have to take a look at that tomorrow when i take it up again to fix the brake line. any thoughts? i plugged everything back in where it fit except for an O2 sensor but as far as i can tell, it's all hooked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ray

1997 Crown Victoria LX "Crown Shit"/"Crown Marquis" SENT TOI SCRAP
    1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

Comment

Make sure the speed sensor is completely plugged in and bolted down. Also check fuses. I once, while working on my cluster, blew the fuse that the speedometer was on and didn't realize until I had already put my cluster back in and started driving. I'm not sure what else is on the same fuse, but probably something that is an easy check without driving.
      That's all I can think of at the moment.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

found the culprit to the broken speedo, started on finishing the brakes today, any advice on the brake line from the MC to the rear?

Ray

Comment

The line from the master cylinder to the back is a fun one, but not all that bad. Just remember that both ends are metric with ISO Bubble Flares, not the "traditional" SAE inverted double flare. I prefer making bubble flares now that I have the correct tool, they are one easy step and come out correctly almost every time with the correct dies. That line is pretty much a straight shot down the frame rail, nothing complicated about actually running the line, just make sure its not going to rub against anything under there. Those lines on my Town Car (it has 2 front to back because ABS/Traction Control) were replaced prior to me buying it but whoever did it did a sloppy job where it runs up along the frame ahead of/above the LR wheel, they were rubbing against the body in a couple of spots and against the frame in another. So I re-did them from under the rear door back to both rear wheels myself when I replaced the rear brake hoses. I don't know if they would have ever rubbed thru before that car's time is up, but I did it for peace of mind while I had the system open anyway.
          -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
          1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by frankenstang View Post
            found the culprit to the broken speedo...
            That would certainly do it. Looks like a broken wire and a broken sensor.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
              That would certainly do it. Looks like a broken wire and a broken sensor.
              the sensor is fine, the wire definitely is split there though.

Ray

Comment

That sensor is broken. The shaft and gear attached to it should not be able to stay in the transmission while the body of the sensor is pulled away. It might work, but its not in tact and would likely fall apart before long. Time for a new one. Also, good time to inspect the gear since you'll have it out.
                -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
                  Also, good time to inspect the gear since you'll have it out.
                  the shaft was bent to hell. replaced the gear with the one that was in the old trans, that also came out separate to the sensor. i could replace that sensor with the one from the old trans too if that seems possible.

Ray

Comment

[QUOTE=frankenstang;826544that also came out separate to the sensor[/QUOTE]

at least i believe so, i may be wrong.
                    Ray

Comment

the shaft was bent to hell. replaced the gear with the one that was in the old trans, that also came out separate to the sensor. i could replace that sensor with the one from the old trans too if that seems possible.

Using the sensor from the other trans would be the best way to go, you already have it so might as well use it.

that also came out separate to the sensor
                      at least i believe so, i may be wrong.
                      If the gear didn't come out attached to the sensor there is a clip missing that holds it to the sensor. If the clip is in the trans I don't know if it will cause a problem, or how much of a problem. Although maybe it would just be hanging out on the bottom of the tail shaft housing, out of the way. Those clips are not prone to working their way out of place, so I would be inclined to think someone lost it if it is indeed missing.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                        Although maybe it would just be hanging out on the bottom of the tail shaft housing, out of the way. Those clips are not prone to working their way out of place, so I would be inclined to think someone lost it if it is indeed missing.
                        i do remember that one coming out as a whole unit now, i'll get to replacing the sensor once i build up the motivation to flare my kinda-bent-to-shape brake line and start putting it together. should be on the road by Monday morning at this point

Ray

Comment

working on brake lines now. had to move from one lift to another and trans slipped going into reverse for the second time. checked the dipstick and added three more quarts while consecutively agitating my instructor with the open headers

Ray

Comment

just as i thought everything was set and ready.
                            bad flare.

started spewing out fluid when i took it for a test run. everything else is all good though.

and it didn't seem to want to do a whole lot when i gave her some gas. might just be that i didn't hook up an O2 sensor or something else i haven't taken much of a look yet.

Ray

Comment

Well, it's been a week. I had planned on getting the car out last week but with high school finals and just no class in general. All I have left is to somehow push the shifter linkage grommet onto the trans. I had a really long 1/2 inch extension and a hammer. But I couldn't get the extension to lay flat. So no luck there. We'll see tomorrow.
                              Ray

Comment

brakes are finally done. grommet has been pushed on. get the car on the ground and go to start it....

nothing.

i've got a feeling the neutral safety switch is the culprit as i did rush putting that on, or it's just not in park despite what the selector says. will go back up in the air to check that out. Put the battery on a charger and had a friend in a later hour check that out and said it was charged but nothing happened. hoping to bring her home tomorrow night. This has been one hell of a project.
                                Ray

Comment

Working...
                                X