No announcement yet.

The Crown Shit. The never ending story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or the air tube has a crack in it, or the side pipe for the IAC isn't hooked up.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You only have 1 side of the exhaust hooked up still, right? I had an idle surge in both my '97 and '98 when the flange between the cat and H-pipe broke on only one side. I just assume its due to the uneven o2 readings due to uneven pressures side to side, it went back to normal when I fixed the exhausts on both of them.

Check the plug wells around the spark plugs for oil/antifreeze. 5 and 7 are both near the oil fill on a '97 so it might just be oil that got spilled during top off. Also near the thermostat housing so given the tendency for intake leaks there, it could be coolant.
      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

took a look at the coolant this morning, stayed stable since thursday, haven't driven it too much since then either, just a few miles to school and back. but i've gone around 50 miles on this car so far, almost confident on a 20 mile round trip to get all the little things tweaked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Ray

1997 Crown Victoria LX "Crown Shit"/"Crown Marquis" SENT TOI SCRAP
        1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
          You only have 1 side of the exhaust hooked up still, right? I had an idle surge in both my '97 and '98 when the flange between the cat and H-pipe broke on only one side. I just assume its due to the uneven o2 readings due to uneven pressures side to side, it went back to normal when I fixed the exhausts on both of them.

Check the plug wells around the spark plugs for oil/antifreeze. 5 and 7 are both near the oil fill on a '97 so it might just be oil that got spilled during top off. Also near the thermostat housing so given the tendency for intake leaks there, it could be coolant.
          that's what i've been figuring on the bouncy idle, haven't done too much to take care of that yet.

I'll take a look at those two plugs tonight at some point, real excited to see how those look.

Ray

Comment

Well, didn't get to pull the plugs last night but i did take it for a short drive, no misfire this time. just snagged some pics from the engine. bay
            Ray

Comment

Where is the mass air meter hiding? I see you have the lower portion of the air box with filter. You just removed it for pics I hope? You do need it otherwise.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Where is the mass air meter hiding? I see you have the lower portion of the air box with filter. You just removed it for pics I hope? You do need it otherwise.
                i did remove the box and hose for pics, i'd be concerned over missing half my intake. everything is plugged in relating to that hose.

Ray

Comment

Hard to tell from the pictures but the master looks empty and the coolant tank does as well. Could be just new clean fluid.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                    Hard to tell from the pictures but the master looks empty and the coolant tank does as well. Could be just new clean fluid.
                    they're both full, just real clean fluid

Ray

Comment

pulled plugs 5 and 7 today...

yeah.

misfire came out again, 7 miles in, same thing going back. I re-gapped the plugs (crushed it down and gapped it to .054).

Started missing again after a few miles. gonna get new plugs really soon.

Last thing, got stopped by a train and had to sit for around 10 minutes. when i started driving again I noticed a good loss in power and... blue smoke. Only had it for a good 10 seconds and after that it was back to normal and blue smoke free. weird.

Ray

Comment

grabbed pics along the fuel rail too, rusty rusty injectors. my favorite.

Ray

Comment

Frank those plugs are not salvgeable just replace plugs and wires, those wires look like they have been in the car from the day the car rolled off the production line at Ford St.Thomas Canada.

Comment

Yep. That thing needs a set of plugs bad. As far as wires, whenever you buy them, get a set for a '96-'98 Mustang GT, NOT for a '97 CV/GMQ. Trust me. The Mustang wires are slightly shorter than OE '96-'97 Panther wires but fit just fine, as where for whatever reason most aftermarket wires sold for a '96-'97 Panther are really meant for a '97-'98 truck and therefore the 4 that cross over the intake are too long (trucks used a taller intake).

Also interesting that your '97 has the old "fat" Bosch EV1 style injectors, yet mine has the newer "skinny" ones. Mine have never been replaced and my '97 is an early build (9/5/96), but I've seen '97s with both styles.
                            -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                            1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
                              Also interesting that your '97 has the old "fat" Bosch EV1 style injectors, yet mine has the newer "skinny" ones. Mine have never been replaced and my '97 is an early build (9/5/96), but I've seen '97s with both styles.
                              I've got the fat ones in my '97 (build 02/97).

Regarding the plugs, use double platinum in that system since it's waste spark. If you go to a parts store, they might just try selling platinum (or Motorcraft Finewire Platinum). The Motorcraft equivalent I've found that's actually double platinum is the AGSF32YRA, IIRC. Otherwise, Autolite APP104 is similar.

I'm running a funky setup with NGK plugs. On the passenger side (waste spark side), NGK Laser Platinums (double plats) and NGK G-Power on the driver side. That setup somewhat mimics the factory configuration where a platinum ground plug was used on the passenger side and a normal platinum was used on the driver side. Out of all the plugs I've used, I've had the best performance out of these and general elimination of spark knock. My car used to ping rather bad, even under normal conditions.

My Cars:
                              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Looks like a ton of fun right now, lol.

-ryan s.
                                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                                Originally posted by pantera77
                                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                                X