No announcement yet.

Add Aux Port to '95-'97 JBL Radios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a 5 wire jack? Not seen one that had 5 terminals that wasn't a switcher sort. Even the "good" ones are sort of chintzy really, or at least I haven't found really nice switcher ones. I'm using some Switchcraft product and they're generally a good company. Either way its pretty easy to ohm check them to confirm if its a switcher or not. Its also possible the output signal is high enough that its bleeding through even a switching jack. Usually the highs are more prone to bleed than the lows.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Not a 5 wire jack? Not seen one that had 5 terminals that wasn't a switcher sort. Even the "good" ones are sort of chintzy really, or at least I haven't found really nice switcher ones. I'm using some Switchcraft product and they're generally a good company. Either way its pretty easy to ohm check them to confirm if its a switcher or not. Its also possible the output signal is high enough that its bleeding through even a switching jack. Usually the highs are more prone to bleed than the lows.
      It is a five wire, and uses a schematic similar to what you posted for input/output. I’ll chalk it up to being fine chinesium. Everything sounds good otherwise, so I’m not too worried about it since a workaround is simple enough in this case. If I was more anal, I’d consider replacing the jack.

I am going to quickly go run to the hardware store and get some replacement drill bits (my small ones are toast). I’m going to mount the jack on the passenger side beside the 12v outlet. For me, that’ll be the cleanest setup since there won’t be jack just sticking out of the dash trim somewhere.

Once I get that done I’ll get final pictures. It’s nothing really special though.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I'll preface this by saying I don't solder often and I'm using a rather old, and cheap iron that more than likely should be in the trash. Excuse the ugly.

3.5 jack with pins. Blue/Black is for IN (RCU side), Red/Yellow is for OUT (CD Side). Bare strands for shield ground.

Everything wrapped up.

Hacking together my already hacked CD changer harness. I never had a complete harness, so this was some weird/cheap adapter end that was originally for auxiliary but would delete the CD changer that I adapted into a harness . Coming full circle essentially.

Lots of ugly back here, adding a subwoofer and CD changer to a car that was never setup for it. The unhooked plug was bypass used when this had an aftermarket head unit.

All my extra wire coiled up. I ordered 20 feet of shielded wire when I should have just ordered 10 feet. I still paid less than $10 for it, so it'll live in a coil behind the tire.

Floor board panel. I have a panel with the optional 12V socket, but I'm thinking about converting it to use USB down there for convenience, then I'll just add the jack beside it. I plan to use hotglue on the back to keep it properly in place.

My Cars:
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Edit: I’m stupid.

It doesn’t switch because I wired inputs to one side and outputs to other side. It’s also the reason it doesn’t play loud out the left channel.
          Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 02-28-2019, 11:31 PM. Reason: Had long post that it was the jack, no it’s called I can’t read a simple diagram.

My Cars:

Comment

at'll do it. I was also going to suggest possible signal bleed if the ins and outs aren't shielded from one another.

The usb charge ports are very useful. Only thing I ever use a lighter socket for is to plug in a charger anyway. Not sure what you're using for a source but some things are available with a cable for both audio and charge at the same time. I've got one for the old ipod I use in the car.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

so.... just curious. Will the sound play if you pause the disc???

Comment

Unfortunately there’s no way to pause the disc on the Ford head unit. That said, even while the discs change tracks or even during the change between the discs themselves, the audio from the auxiliary device still plays.

My Cars:

Comment

Whats does Mute do?? If there is a mute. I have not looked at my radios in a long time... an kinda grasping at straws here.

Steve

Comment

On the old ones at least, mute killed the output from the tuner so that signal wouldn't mix with input from the CD player.

Comment

Working...
                    X