2000 GM alloy wheels on a 1989 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 GM alloy wheels on a 1989 CV

So, I picked up a set of 2000 GM 16 inch alloy wheels for my 1989 CV. Lo and behold, the center caps dont fit due to the hub length.
    Anyone else running this setup? If so, are you running spacers?

Best solution is to do the big brake upgrade.

Some caps are so close a minor tweak can make it fit.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'll look into some different caps first.
      Thanks for the info!

Comment

I agree the ultimate solution would be to do a big brake upgrade, but until that is an option for me I went with the '98-'02(?) Mercury Mountaineer center caps. Even those will require some modification of the dust cap on the hub. I'm not sure how much I modified mine, but I don't think it was more than 1/8"-1/4" to get the caps to fit on the front wheels. Here's the post of what I'm running on the Mercury: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post824149

For your CV, the same era Explorer center caps should fit and I believe do not require "modifying" the hub dust cap like the Mercury caps do.
        F57A-1A096-AC Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1285039

You'll need the collared lug nuts if you don't already have them:
        These:

Not these (stock box steel wheel lug nuts):

And not the stock box turbine lug nuts either.
        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 01-28-2019, 11:17 PM.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I'm pretty sure my car came with the wrong lug nuts (acorn style, no collar) on my Turbine wheels. For the short term, I replaced them with 15" snowflakes (winter tires, snowflake rims, makes sense, right?). In spring, I want a set of the correct Turbine lug nuts...which ones are those?
          Sorry for the threadjack (lugjack?)

On topic, though: the snowflake center caps don't fit either, but I think a little denting of the bearing cap will work for now.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
            For your CV, the same era Explorer center caps should fit and I believe do not require "modifying" the hub dust cap like the Mercury caps do.
            F57A-1A096-AC [ATTACH=CONFIG]51527[/ATTACH]...
            Alloy wheels... Sorry, I had steel wheels on the brain for some reason.

In that case, big brake upgrade is probably your only option to get the stock center caps on for alloy wheels.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by bgreywolf View Post
              I'm pretty sure my car came with the wrong lug nuts (acorn style, no collar) on my Turbine wheels. For the short term, I replaced them with 15" snowflakes (winter tires, snowflake rims, makes sense, right?). In spring, I want a set of the correct Turbine lug nuts...which ones are those?
              Sorry for the threadjack (lugjack?)

On topic, though: the snowflake center caps don't fit either, but I think a little denting of the bearing cap will work for now.
              For box turbines the lug nuts are short, or according to Dorman's chart below they are standard.

The main thing to look for is the thread pitch, which is the same on all Panthers '79-'11 and the same on many Ford products.
              The lug nuts for box turbines are shorter than the lug nuts for box steel wheels. I'm not sure why, perhaps the taller lug nuts interfere with the center cap?
              These are what you want for box turbines:

Part numbers from Rockauto:
              PTC 98002
              WAGNER BD61283
              RAYBESTOS 1200N
              DORMAN 711831
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I think the catalogs are wrong. The stock lug nuts on my turbines are standard style but longer than standard lug nuts. I’ve been looking for a set for a year or so but can’t find any aftermarket ones. Longer acorns will work fine.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'm running spacers on my Marquis and had to buy open lug nuts cause the car had HPP wheels so those are covered lug nuts.

But in trying to mount the spacer to the hub I wasn't liking how many threads were catching so I bought these extended thread ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-ET-O...item1c5786cffc

They catch the threads much better. Luckily I had some M14 lug nuts from my CTS for the rear spacer cause that one wasn't 1/2x20 like panthers usually have.
                  1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
                  2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                    I think the catalogs are wrong. The stock lug nuts on my turbines are standard style but longer than standard lug nuts. I’ve been looking for a set for a year or so but can’t find any aftermarket ones. Longer acorns will work fine.
                    That wouldn't surprise me if the catalogs are wrong. I've ran in to that with the studs that bolt the cats to the stock box exhaust manifolds.

I'm sure we can come up with a set of stock turbine lug nuts here in Detroit no problem. Plenty of boxes in the yards still around here. Finding a complete set of 20 in nice shape might be a bit of a challenge but doable.

Edit:
                    I think Pvt.Hudson is the best solution for the OP outside of a big brake upgrade.
                    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 01-29-2019, 08:55 PM.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I think I'm okay, then. The standards and the acorns are the same cone, face, thread, etc...but the acorn gives me a lot more meat to grab with my lug wrench. The caps are ginormous and held on by three little conical stud pieces, I could probably use the "truck style" long acorns with room to spare.
                      I was more concerned about whether the taper was the same, the lug-to-wheel area on the Turbines is (visually) a little different than newer alloy wheels and I certainly don't want to damage the wheels (or me!) by running incompatible parts, especially when lug nuts are comparatively cheap.
                      They're under the cover, so I don't care whether they're factory correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        I agree. You zip one of those bastards on and the head will be almost flush with the face of the wheel. Not conducive for future removal. Ive seen it before in the yards.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looking through what others have posted, pretty much any wheel other than what was offered from the factory is going to have issues with center cap fitment.
                          A buddy of mine has 16"/17" staggered Torq Thrusts on his '67 Mustang. I'll try one of his wheels for fitment.
                          Anyone in Southern California looking for some '98 MGM Alloys?
                          Last edited by DSander; 01-31-2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X