Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Electrical Power after putting car in reverse

Thanks in advance for your help.
    I just bought another 1989 Grand Marquis yesterday for $500... It is in decent shape, white w/ nice drk blue interior, and a lot of new parts. Also comes with manuals and wiring diagrams which I needed. The car was a perfectly fine running vehicle until about a month ago. The PO said he started it up, put it in reverse, and then everything died. I'm not exactly sure what is and what is not working, but it sounds like everything electrical is dead. I know for sure the windows have no power as well as the starter solenoid. You can get the car to turn over by jumpering the solenoid. He replaced the neutral safety switch, the ecm, and possibly a few other things. He said that there appears to be fusible links under the dash somewhere according to the wiring diagram, but he can't find them and had run out of patience and time trying to figure it out. I won't be able to go pick the car up until next week, but wanted to get this out there and get a head start on what the problem might be beforehand. I figured that even if I can't get it running there are well over $500 worth of parts that can be used for mine.
    I did not take any pics, and the PO had deleted the ad by the time I made it home, but I will post some next week.

Thanks
    Eric

Hopefully someone will post up with better info, but I would be inclined to start in the steering column. Maybe the ignition switch? It sounds like the key was turned off. I don't mean actually the key was turned off but what you are describing sounds as if the car is just turned off.

So bad switch, damaged wires, or links to and from the switch etc. ?

Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I will ask, but he said he had power at the ignition switch so I assume he tested it, but you never know. I would hope he tested that before replacing the ECM.

Comment

There's a lot of crap that plugs into the starter solenoid. If that's dead or the wires on it are dead it can lead to no power to the cabin. Just had that issue a few weeks ago when I replaced my alternator. I left one of the wires off and interior had no power (lights, windows, crank, radio, etc). I'd check those out first if the whole interior is dead. The wire runs over to the driver's side fender where there's some solenoids which could be worth checking out as well.

Edit: Never mind. Probably not that. Just saw your post above saying there's power at the ignition.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
          There's a lot of crap that plugs into the starter solenoid. If that's dead or the wires on it are dead it can lead to no power to the cabin. Just had that issue a few weeks ago when I replaced my alternator. I left one of the wires off and interior had no power (lights, windows, crank, radio, etc). I'd check those out first if the whole interior is dead. The wire runs over to the driver's side fender where there's some solenoids which could be worth checking out as well.

Edit: Never mind. Probably not that. Just saw your post above saying there's power at the ignition.
          It never hurts to double check basics. Based on what the PO says all of that should be fine, but I'd rather check that stuff again to make sure it's good before I rip the steering column apart to check that ignition switch.
          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 01-29-2019, 05:09 PM.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Guessing its either damaged wiring in the column, or a short in the reverse light circuit. Probably took out a fuse link over at the starter solenoid when whatever shorted out. The entire car feeds from several links over there.

The ignition switches are known to be a problem too, so it may have shorted and blown a fuse link.

Something I've learned is to never trust other people's diagnostics. Even if they didn't make a mistake I just prefer to confirm exactly what is and is not happening.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              ...Something I've learned is to never trust other people's diagnostics. Even if they didn't make a mistake I just prefer to confirm exactly what is and is not happening.
              This. From my own personal experience to trolling the internet where people swear they've ruled whatever component people asked them to check out, and then later it turns out to be that component.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The PO works on generators for a living, so I'm sure he is more knowledgeable than me, but I will for sure start at square 1 once I get it home.
                It is actually good timing as I have been reading some automotive electrical books and can try and apply what I have been learning right away. One of the reasons I bought this car is so I can take things apart on it first. That way, if I mess something up it's not on my daily driver.
                Thanks for all of the suggestions and words of wisdom!

Comment

Do you have an EVTM (electrical vacuum troubleshooting manual) for this car? If not, I'd suggest getting one. Its an invaluable piece of literature for working on anything electrical. The factory shop manual is also very worth owning.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Not yet, but I have several packages of all the factory manuals saved on ebay...over $200... A friend of a friend has 1000's of manuals in a warehouse and I am waiting on a price from them 1st.

Comment

Didn't you say in 1st post it comes with manuals & wire diagrams? Find out if they are real ford manuals and if the EVTM is there. There are 3 main parts, Service Manual, EVTM & wire diagrams. There is also the big Emissions book but likely you will need that less.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It comes with a Haynes manual and a wiring diagram... I did not look at it closely, but it looked like the wiring diagram was on a folded big piece of paper, so I do not believe it is the actual factory EVTM, unless it is just the diagram from it. I'll know more next week when I pick it up.

Comment

The wire diagrams are not in the evtm. They are a separate thing.
                          Wireing
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-FORD-L...frcectupt=true

EVTM
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Ford-C...frcectupt=true
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

honestly I find the EVTM easier to deal with than the huge fold-out wiring diagrams. It breaks things down by system rather than showing every wire in the car. Thats probably more useful if you're modding stuff though.

Comment

^ the evtm is the cats ass when it comes to figuring out wiring faults. Wiring diagrams are a pain.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X