Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Body coolant leak

Hello all,

I recently did the valve cover gaskets on the '91. While I was at it, I replaced the throttle body gasket since I had to take it apart anyway. Well now the throttle body leaks coolant out of the new gasket where it meets the plenum. Its clearly sucking coolant into the intake as well since I am getting a healthy amount of white smoke out the tail pipes. Here is a pic for reference with new FEL-PRO gasket above. I did not use any RTV and I am guessing that might be the problem. Any advise would be appreciated, especially where I should apply the RTV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	throttle body 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1304837

I didn't use RTV when I replaced all my top end gaskets. You shouldn't have any leaks if you're using a gasket. Make sure the mating surfaces are completely free of old gasket material and ensure it's torqued down tight.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Ok thank you. Any chance you have the correct TQ specs for the throttle body?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Hill185 View Post
        Ok thank you. Any chance you have the correct TQ specs for the throttle body?

Thanks again!
        I just use the old calibrated wrist. Just make sure it's nice and tight.
        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

I think it's 15-20 foot pounds.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

15-20ft-lbs and mine still leaked like a sieve. I had to reef on those bolts to the point I thought they'd snap or something with a new gasket installed. Next time I will use a skim layer of RTV of sorts. I'm all for letting the gasket do it's job but I'm guessing the mating surfaces were just too irregular for it. Many people cap off/bypass the coolant hoses going in to the TB for that reason.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

great info thanks. Ill try some rtv on both sides of the gasket. I really hate the idea of the coolant being sucking into the intake and burning ...

Comment

Happy to be of service.

Eh, it'll clean up your combustion chambers real nice like haha.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

i usually bypass that mess. never saw any adverse affects.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Run a file over both surfaces carefully to see if it has any high spots. Normally thats the issue with gasket leaks. This is a fairly thin gasket so it can't take up much imperfection. If its flat and clean and still leaks you can just bypass it.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Great thanks guys. Ended up doing a bypass.

Comment

Working...
                      X