Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Vacuum line casue rough idle/gas smell

Hello all,

As mentioned in an earlier post, I recently changed the valve cover gaskets in my '91. While I had it all apart, I replaced the plenum gasket, throttle body gasket, EGR gasket, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Unfortunately, most of the vacuum lines are very brittle and in the process three broke (pics below) The green goes to the EGR valve, and I'm not sure what the red does, nor the white (smog pump?). The white line is on the passenger side.

The car idles high once warmed up, slightly rough, and the exhaust smells a little like unburnt gas/rich. At first I thought maybe I put the wires on the wrong spark plus, but they seem to check out. I'm beginning to think it has to do with the three broken vacuum lines (no check engine light yet). Any input is appreciated. Thanks for all the help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	vac line 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1304838

Name:	vac line 2.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1304839

Vacuum leaks make the engine run rough, rich, and idle high. Only the red one is full time manifold vacuum. The green is controlled vac to the EGR valve, white is controlled vac to one of the thermactor valves. I don't remember which is which, but the one down by the pump is thermactor air bypass (TAB) and the one up by the AC is thermactor air diverter (TAD)

The most important one is center rear of the engine, going to the MAP sensor. The sensor is mounted flat, and is about the size of a deck of cards. It has one hose and one plug on it. If that hose is in bad shape, everything runs badly. The manifold needs to be removed to replace that one. Honestly at this point in time it might be worth pulling the intake and changing all of the hoses under it anyway.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Awesome, thank you very much for the information. I think these cars have 4mm-5/32 vacuum lines. Ill have to pick some up. Thanks again.

Comment

For patching I use 3mm(1/8") ID silicone vacuum tube. The stock lines fit and stay put, so very well could be 4mm stock lines on these cars. I've bought various sizes and colors from the seller below for different applications. It doesn't work too well when the break is really close to a connector and doesn't leave much to put into the patch piece, so for that I'll head to the JY and get at least a new end with more length to splice to if not a full line. (We have plenty of boxes in the JYs here in the Detroit area).
        I'm sure there may be better options out there, but that's what I do for my DD beaters.
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/SILICONE-VA...G/400302581171
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Great, thank you for the parts Recommendations.

Comment

When the plastic gets to the point of having more patches than line, just replace it with standard vac line and color code it. I've used small zip ties but colored heat shrink is a neater solution.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like the heat shrink idea, colored to match even.

Agreed that there comes a point when replace is a better option than repair. So far the only replacements that I have came from the JY. I haven't looked at options for new lines, so don't know if there is anything that might be similar to the stock lines.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                I like the heat shrink idea, colored to match even.

Agreed that there comes a point when replace is a better option than repair. So far the only replacements that I have came from the JY. I haven't looked at options for new lines, so don't know if there is anything that might be similar to the stock lines.
                Hard signal call line could work, not sure if heating it would allow you to make the factory style bends though.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Replaced/repaired most of the lines. Turned out the MAP vacuum hose had some severe damage. Taking that plenum off is the worst part. Anyway, one last question, anyone have an idea where this large vacuum hose goes? starts at the back of the plenum, but I don't have any open lines to plug it in?

Name:	unknown hose 1.jpg
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1285047

Name:	unknown hose 2.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1285048

Comment

The second photo looks like you have circled the PCV valve. You can kinda tell because some of it is dirty and some of it is not...the part that used to stock into the grommet of the lower intake. If it is in fact the PCV valve it plugs into dead center of the lower intake.

The first picture you have the source line circled for the vac tree mounted to the firewall.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I popped it off, looks like two different lines but its not. And the vacuum tree on the fire wall is full with the exception of one spot that's capped.

Name:	IMG_8261.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1285049

Name:	IMG_8262.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1285050

Comment

OKay. Thats definitely the PCV valve

The other end of that hose goes into underside of the upper intake but not on that metal tree.

You have some hoses mixed up.

this is from a mustang but its the basics.
                        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-02-2019, 06:03 PM.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ugh... Thanks for the pic. Must be from the former owner. Its strange cause the one supposed to go to the tree, is capped off at the tree, and it looks like it came from the factory that way. I took a bunch of pics when I had everything apart. Now I'm wondering what's in the PVC spot now?

Name:	Image-1.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1285051

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                            Hard signal call line could work, not sure if heating it would allow you to make the factory style bends though.
                            Yeah, something that could be heated up with my heat gun and bent to the factory routing would be neat. (Or improved routing, say in a case where you are relocating solenoids on older boxes, by '91 it all seems pretty optimized.)
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

If the line at the vac tree was capped off, you'd have only defrost, no power brakes, and no cruise control. There is one capped-off port on the stock tree though.

The pic posted looks like I'd expect it to. The PCV line loops from the front side of the upper, through the T in the corner, to the valve.

Comment

Working...
                              X