crank no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crank no start

1995 crown vic died while driving, does not start again, checked for spark, fuel (40 psi with guage), and a crank signal, all are ok, also pulled the fuel pump relay and sprayed throttle body cleaner through the intake and tried starting it (possiblity of bad fuel) also checked for injector pulse, the car cranks strong and sometimes sounds like it wants to start, any ideas for what should be done next, thanks in advance for any help/ suggestions

If flammable stuff in the intake won't make it go, it pretty much has to be a spark issue. Usual problem on these is something wanky with the crank position sensor. Either it failed or the connector is crusty. its down bottom, passenger side, kind of straight in from the AC compressor.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

could it still be bad even if there is rpm reading while cranking and reading rpm with the scan tool?

Comment

Does it spin over faster than normal? I always like to check compression at least on one if not all cylinders
        2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Check for voltage for any feeds coming off the ignition switch. Don't see much if any failure on the column mounted ones, but it is a ford afterall, and electrical switches always are suspect.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by 1985crownvicltd85 View Post
            could it still be bad even if there is rpm reading while cranking and reading rpm with the scan tool?
            Yes. Check for codes. May be the Cam sensor. Check and make sure the connector is actually on the cam sensor. Codes will tell you if it's getting no signal from a sensor.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

update: with the scan tool hooked up there are no codes, checked live data and noticed engine load is at 100%, unplugged the maf sensor, ect, cam, and crank sensor and checked to see if the reading would change, it didnt, what other sensors contributes to give this reading?

Comment

TPS. Unplug that, plug everything else back in. See if it starts. If it does, replace the TPS. FULL open throttle on startup disables ignition and fuel to "clear flood".

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

tried tps too no difference.

Comment

TPS. Unplug that, plug everything else back in. See if it starts. If it does, replace the TPS. FULL open throttle on startup disables ignition and fuel to "clear flood".

Might also check to make sure the throttle isn't broken and wide open already.

Comment

when pushing on the pedal the percentage of the tps on the scan tool changes, but ill check anyways to make sure it isnt broken.

Comment

update 2: throttle isnt broken, and opens and closes fine, next step is compression test, can someone tell me the range for compression on the 4.6l, I believe its around 90 psi, but hopefully one of you can confirm that, thanks

Comment

I'd expect closer to 150 is right.

If it was running and just stopped without making some absolutely horrible noise or driving through a small lake its not likely to lose compression in all 8 cylinders. Engines will run with a couple of dead holes. If ether in the intake doesn't make it start, either you don't have proper spark or somehow the cams jumped time, which also seems a bit unlikely. The tensioners do wear but you'd be getting a bunch of noises before it got bad enough to jump. Its also not that likely to have both cams jump at once. The only thing really common to all of the cylinders ignition-wise are the power feeds to the coil and the EDIS module. Each coil pack is basically 2 coils in one box, so even if one went bad you'd only lose 2 cylinders. The chances of all the coils dying in one shot is really small.

I'd give it a honk of starting fluid into the throttle body and see what happens. If it starts for a few seconds, its a fuel delivery problem. If it does nothing, its probably a spark problem. If it doesn't crank normally, maybe you're that unlucky soul that managed to have both cams jump at once.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Final update: did a compression test and had around 150-160 on the left bank, then checked the right and had 0 compression, the engine only had 135k.

Comment

So a timing chain or gear. I don't know but I have not heard these are interference engines.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X