PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 LTC: Cruise Control servo/vacuum module

Default 2004 LTC: Cruise Control servo/vacuum module

My cruise control worked when I got my car (in 2011) then stopped working a year or so later. The switches all seem to work (based on dash indicator light goes on/off when commanded, and above 35mph), and the brake disengages it. It failed over time, where the cruise would only hold for a little while, continuing to having no response at all. Never tried to fix it until now. Looking at the servo, it looks like it's cracked, but with it bolted in place, it's hard to get a better look at it. Has anyone seen these units crack like this (see 2 opening on bottom of round feature) before? Is this going into the vacuum chamber rendering it useless? There is a PN visible on it, is the PN I need to order 4W13-9C734-AA? There are plenty of "hits" on the 9C734 part of the PN, but many variations on the prefix. How do I remove the vacuum line from it?

Hmm. Is this servo vacuum driven, or purely electro/mechanical? Not sure.

Will this cause it to fail? Looks fatal.

I post a lot...

Never had to r&r one before but it looks like the throttle connection is removed by depressing the clip to clear the metal detente (shown on left just under the linkage in your first photo) and rotating the plastic counter-clockwise. The electrical connector looks typical.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

That one should be all electronic. Cable comes off by pushing the tab and giving it a turn. Once thats off, the end of the cable is a ball or something that hooks into the mechanism in a reasonably obvious way.

Looks like it got wet and corroded.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I figured out how to remove it, simple disconnect on the connector and the cable. Looks like it got water in it, froze, expanded and cracked. Would this make it inoperable? Can I get any servo PN xxxx-9c734? Or are the electronics model specific and I need a 4W13-9C734-AA? Should I remove the (4) #25 torx screws and remove the electronics portion to have a look inside?

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

if it froze and broke the housing I suspect it may be SOL. Not sure how specific those things are, I'd assume (yeah, yeah) that they are all the same other than the cable but that may not be so. The base part number in the middle is probably too broad though. I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff from the 60s onward used that string in the middle.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Yeah... that one looks done for. 2003/2004 were weird years. Some crossover backwards... some forwards. Just find one that looks the same as that one and it should work. I would try to find the same year first though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

There are plenty that LOOK THE SAME on fleabay. My cable is fine, so I don't need that. I didn't even think about the cable being part of it making a different PN, makes sense (thanks Gadget!), if the cable is actually part of this PN.
    I'm surprised I don't see these on RockAuto, am I missing it? Any suggestions on places to order these online?

Found a servo on ebay that's displayed with the electronic control module removed showing what's inside. I guess it wouldn't be an issue taking mine apart for a look at it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-Cr...IAAOSwZ8pcLQ5f

Never a problem taking a broken one apart. If the top control section is still ok (sounds like it is) that may be your best bet to just change out the motor section.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm not sure if I can go without the throttle cable attached at this end. Figured I better wait until I have the new part in hand. Now that I see there aren't any springs or anything that will jump for freedom when I open it, I'll be looking.

I've played a little with various modules and haven't found much difference.
    The differences I can think of would probably be related to speed of engagement/disengagement/response based on vehicle power and performance, and manual/auto transmission.

The electronic servo controls all look pretty much the same except p/n, the cables are different (but easily disconnected).
    Interesting fact that I've come across while experimenting with engine swaps: pretty much all Ford cruise control setups from the early 1970s until the electronic throttle controls (and possibly even then!) use the same switch setup, whether it's the dealer-installed steering stalk switch on a 1970s Thunderbird, or the factory steering wheel controls on a 2004 Focus. The 2-wire setup and resistance figures for the switches are identical and the pulse-per-mile of the speed sensor is the same.

So I wouldn't stress too much about swapping from one unit to another as long as you test it on a stretch of open road, in case it decides to accelerate really fast, really slow, or some sort of other behavior based on a different vehicle's performance.

I disconnected the harness and removed the servo motor from the car to see if I could disassemble it and fix it. The housing was cracked and a piece broke off when I tried to turn the shaft on the driver motor. The driver motor is seized, won't budge. Ordered a replacement (module, servo, cable, and bracket) off ebay, $69 w/shipping. Not due to arrive until early next week.
    I'm going to have to put the old one back in because now none of the controls on the steering wheel work at all. Heater fan, radio controls, and even the horn doesn't work now. Hope they come to life when I put it back in tomorrow.

I reinstalled the cruise control module and all my steering wheel controls, and the horn, came back to life. Apparently the circuits for these switches goes thru this control module. Learned something new!

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

The newer ones are fully electronic. Replacing one requires the use of the same year/model for transmission shift schedules and because Lincoln likes to be different, it uses a communication system instead of a direct vss input.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

My PN is 4W1U-9C735-AA. I ordered 3W1U-9C735-AA, same PN except from an '03 Town Car, off ebay. I really only need the mechanical servo, but I'm thinking the electronic module will interchange as well. What do you think?
    Transmission shift schedule too? That seemed to work fine when I had the module out/disconnected. What else does this module control?
    Last edited by 94Magna_Tom; 02-20-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 94Magna_Tom View Post
    My PN is 4W1U-9C735-AA. I ordered 3W1U-9C735-AA, same PN except from an '03 Town Car, off ebay. I really only need the mechanical servo, but I'm thinking the electronic module will interchange as well. What do you think?
    Transmission shift schedule too? That seemed to work fine when I had the module out/disconnected. What else does this module control?
    The servo works in conjunction with the pcm, it communicates with the pcm telling it that it is the one moving the throttle. So as to not force the transmission to downshift for a little added throttle position. It doesn't outright control the shift scheduling. It will function fine without it. I've just heard of the cruise not acting correctly with a different year servo since they changed things between 03 and 04.

The whole thing will physically plug in and bolt up.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

I shall find out next week. Like I said, my pcm is fine (need the servo assy), so I can interchange them to determine if there is a noticeable difference.

I received/installed the new (used) module. Took a quick ride around the block, and noticed my "speed control" light didn't illuminate when I pressed the cruise control "on" button. I then examined the 03 vs. 04 PCM's. The PCM's "looked" identical, but had different PN's stamped on the printed circuit board itself, so I decided to switch it to my original PCM with the new servo module. My cruise control works again, yeah!
    In hindsight, I think I could have actually used the 03 PCM because my original PCM behaved identically at low speed. It only worked after I got it over 40 mph which I didn't try with the '03 PCM. The 03 PCM will go into the spare parts bin.
    The picture shows how my servo housing failed. As soon as I removed it, the cracked "chunk" of housing fell off.
    Happy with my $67 ebay purchase!
    Curious if anyone else's housing has cracked like this? Not really sure how it would happen, it doesn't seem like water could have gotten into it to freeze it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast