No announcement yet.

2004 LTC: Cruise Control servo/vacuum module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The newer ones are fully electronic. Replacing one requires the use of the same year/model for transmission shift schedules and because Lincoln likes to be different, it uses a communication system instead of a direct vss input.

Comment

My PN is 4W1U-9C735-AA. I ordered 3W1U-9C735-AA, same PN except from an '03 Town Car, off ebay. I really only need the mechanical servo, but I'm thinking the electronic module will interchange as well. What do you think?
      Transmission shift schedule too? That seemed to work fine when I had the module out/disconnected. What else does this module control?
      Last edited by 94Magna_Tom; 02-20-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Magna_Tom View Post
        My PN is 4W1U-9C735-AA. I ordered 3W1U-9C735-AA, same PN except from an '03 Town Car, off ebay. I really only need the mechanical servo, but I'm thinking the electronic module will interchange as well. What do you think?
        Transmission shift schedule too? That seemed to work fine when I had the module out/disconnected. What else does this module control?
        The servo works in conjunction with the pcm, it communicates with the pcm telling it that it is the one moving the throttle. So as to not force the transmission to downshift for a little added throttle position. It doesn't outright control the shift scheduling. It will function fine without it. I've just heard of the cruise not acting correctly with a different year servo since they changed things between 03 and 04.

The whole thing will physically plug in and bolt up.

Comment

I shall find out next week. Like I said, my pcm is fine (need the servo assy), so I can interchange them to determine if there is a noticeable difference.

Comment

I received/installed the new (used) module. Took a quick ride around the block, and noticed my "speed control" light didn't illuminate when I pressed the cruise control "on" button. I then examined the 03 vs. 04 PCM's. The PCM's "looked" identical, but had different PN's stamped on the printed circuit board itself, so I decided to switch it to my original PCM with the new servo module. My cruise control works again, yeah!
            In hindsight, I think I could have actually used the 03 PCM because my original PCM behaved identically at low speed. It only worked after I got it over 40 mph which I didn't try with the '03 PCM. The 03 PCM will go into the spare parts bin.
            The picture shows how my servo housing failed. As soon as I removed it, the cracked "chunk" of housing fell off.
            Happy with my $67 ebay purchase!
            Curious if anyone else's housing has cracked like this? Not really sure how it would happen, it doesn't seem like water could have gotten into it to freeze it.

Comment

wow... yeah... the old one was roached good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

looks like it got wet for a long time to corrode like that. Not sure where those sit but I wouldn't expect that to be normal. Maybe someone in a previous life was over-enthusiastic with cleaners and it had a nasty reaction. Looks like its aluminum and harsh de-greasers will corrode aluminum pretty badly.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It sits on the drivers side fender well in the engine compartment (see post #1). Cruise Control worked when I 1st bought the car in 2011. Worked for the first couple of years, then quit working (on & off) over the course of a couple months. Never attempted to fix it until now (~4 years later). I'm sure the crack allowed moisture into the motor windings way back then, and it's been corroding ever since.

Comment

Working...
                  X