All heat No cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All heat No cool

I have a 2009 Grand Marquise I recently bought the EATC will not switch to cool. All the vent controls switch like they're supposed to and the temperature readout changes from 60° to 90° but seems stuck on 90! Does the whole unit need changed or is there a quick fix? Even on Max AC it's hot. Thanks in advance.!

If you haven't done so already, you or someone should check the basics, first make sure the engine oil and coolant levels are good.

Do not just look at the expansion tank ( it may be dirty preventing a real reading )

As long as the engine is running good and not overheating you can move on to other basic tests.

When you start the engine and turn the AC to max does the compressor clutch engage and stay spinning? or does the compressor kick on and off over and over or never come on at all?

A common problem with these cars is the blend door actuator will go bad, from cheap plastic gears that strip out.

This happened to a 2000 MGM I had but you should be able to check the codes through the EATC screen to see if any codes are stored.

( My AC compressor was kicking on and off which seemed like it was low on refrigerant but the codes I found proved otherwise )

Here is a video that shows how to do a self test and get any codes that may be stored.

https://youtu.be/wSLjb8xh7Eg

The blend door actuator is a inexpensive part but can be a pain in the butt to replace, ( the manual shows removal of the entire dash ) but it can be done with the right tools without removing the entire dash.

I have large hands and a bad neck and back but I was able to replace it myself in about 5 hours total time that I stretched out over a weekend because of my back and neck ( but a healthy mechanically inclined person could likely do the job in just a few hours )
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I'm placing my bets on the blend door actuator. Common failure point as the gears inside the motor tend to get brittle and break.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

BDA is also my bet. There is a button sequence that gets you into self test mode and that will confirm.

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/eatcswap/selftest.html
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wow thanks for the info! I have a stupid question. I just put in a double din stereo in it and the factory wiring harness had an extra lead I didn't have to use to wire in the new unit. Could this cause a problem?? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Are you saying you had working AC before the head unit install?

No wire connected to the head unit could mess with the operation of the AC that I know of.

Did you check for codes yet? it take just a few minutes.
            2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I would not expect the radio to have anything to do with it, unless something got unplugged or damaged with the EATC wiring when the radio went in.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And the winner is BDA. 5 hrs labor plus parts. Not too bad, I guess! Lol Thanks for all the help

Comment

I might consider a heater core while you're in there. Its directly under the BDA and requires the same work to access.

Comment

I thought about that too. Think I'll call them this morning and see how much more they want to do it before they get too far into it. The tech did say he didn't have to remove the HVAC box as he could loosen the dash and pull it back enough to get to the BDA so I don't know how much more that would cost. The dealership is splitting the cost since it wasn't caught on the pre sale inspection.

Comment

Working...
                    X