Tail pipe install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tail pipe install

I dont remember if I already asked but is there a way to install tail pipes with the car on the ground or does it absolutely need to be up in the air?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are putting in a over the axle pipe you would want it in the air on jack stands placed under the frame not the axle.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

+1 at least jack stands.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thats what I meant, sorry I wasnt clear. Ok at least it is possible. When I have the time Im going to put it up on stands and see how much room I have. Thanks.

Comment

Basically you wanna put the jack stands about the middle of the rear door on the frame rail. Get the car as high as you can in the rear without being able to pull it down by the rear bumper.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks! Id like to install the rest of the exhaust myself and this is the last bit. I was going to take it to a shop and have them put it up in the air to install everything but everywhere I called quoted me a minimum of 200 dollars. All that needs to be done is install the tail pipe and maybe a custom bracket... Anyway as long as I can do it in the driveway and save myself some money Ill be happy.

Comment

Yep, it's completely possible to do it on jack stands. Just replaced the tailpipe and muffler on my '89 in my driveway this past fall without any issues.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I would advise using the 6 ton stands instead of the more common 3 tons though. They have a larger base, so its a little more stable with the car jacked up high. I need to get a set myself.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Speaking of jack stands, I swear years ago I saw these bases for them to use of asphalt but I cant find them. Anyone know what Im talking about or am I crazy?

Comment

I use plywood for that, but someone probably does make a specially designed thing to keep them from sinking in.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ive used plywood in the past and it works but after Irma we threw whatever we had away. Not an excuse since its cheap enough lol. But I swear someone made some sort of base out of pvc or something and it had raised edges. Oh well Ill get some cut plywood from Home Depot next time I work. Thanks for the idea man.

Comment

Working...
                      X