The New and improved wiper problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New and improved wiper problem.

Hey everybody! It's nice seeing the POTM. I've been thinking about you.

It seems that the socket that holds the wiper arm is worn. The 'driver side' wiper arm doesn't stop when it reaches the left side of the windshield. It flies off the windshield and I have to reach my hand out and and put it back on. Effectively getting one swipe. I guess I have to find a replacement in the junk yard. Or I was going to try removing the wiper arm axial? And filling the plastic piece with JB weld? Does anyone know if 'This thing' is removable before I destroy my puller tools attempting to remove it? Thanks again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0204191936b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1304856Click image for larger version

Name:	0204191937a.jpg
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1304855

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

Are you talking about the plastic "nut" looking thing, or the actual pivot part where the arm attaches? The plastic nut is a common part, you can get a Mustang wiper transmission rebuild kit for small money and it will give you a pair of plastic nuts and the little rubber washer thats under it. PITA to get apart, pretty simple to re-assemble though.

If its the splined part where the wiper arm goes, you're somewhat SOL on that. Its part of the wiper transmission, which as far as I know is an obsolete item. Its not meant to come apart, but that doesn't mean you can't get it apart with some persuasion. I honestly have not ever attempted it. They put it together somehow though. Possible you can see something on the back side that might give a clue for how to take it apart in a way that will let it go back together.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's difficult to put into words. I'm not sure I'm understanding. The top piece where the linkage connects is solid. The wiper arm connects firmly to splined, top, part. The plastic nut is the black part? Brown in my picture. That appears to be the bad part. I guess I have to push that silver part through. Should I hit it with PB Blaster / WD40? It looks like plastic in my pic. Will it swell?

Thanks for that schematic in my other post I'll definitely be taking a closer look at that later.

Comment

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7904B/musta...epair-kit-7993

those things

I rebuilt the linkage on my Continental with that kit. I ended up using the vise to crush the plastic somewhat so I could get it apart. Even partly damaged it needed some prying to make it let go. It popped together fairly easily in the vise, but channel locks would probably do fine.

If you mean the part that screws to the car, I have no idea how that is meant to disassemble. Maybe if you can see in the back of it there is a clue, but Ford never meant for these to be repairable. Worst case you may have to go junkyard shopping for a less worn out linkage.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm referring to underneath the spindle part, with the 3 bolts. I guess I'll see if I can get those apart. We'll see how well JB weld holds up to moving parts. Hopefully better than plastic. Thanks again gadget. Hopefully just replacing the parts you mentioned will do the trick though.

Comment

It's been very difficult working on the system because my wipers do not park. I'll spare you the long story... Check out my overhaul! I realized this is completely unnecessary after learning that the wiper arm won't apply pressure to the glass unless the pin is completely in. Not to mention that you have to pull up on the wiper arm to place the pin in...

Name:	0302191059b[1].jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1285139Click image for larger version

Name:	0302191059[1].jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1285140Click image for larger version

Name:	0304191154b[1].jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1285141Click image for larger version

Name:	0304191154[1].jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1285142
            As I go to put the finishing touches on the wipers, I yanked out the hood release handle. I'm quite stumped on this one. Is this even possable to fix? I have no experiance with cable systems such as these. I hate to use this as the reason to junk the car. But my patience is wearing thin.

Name:	0304192057[1].jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1285143Click image for larger version

Name:	0304192057a[1].jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1285144

Comment

You'd need to replace the hood cable, that's not really repairable. They might still be available.

Best work around so you could pop the hood is take the kick panel trim off where the cable comes through, trim back some of the sheathing to expose the cable, and put a pair of vice grips on it so you can get the hood open to replace the cable.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Thanks again guys.

Comment

yep, new cable. The bitch is getting under the hood to change it. Probably have to cut the cable up behind the grille and give it a yank with pliers.

What did you rebuild the pivot with, JB-Weld and re-drill it to size ?

Comment

It might be a little late for this, but that plastic part with the three mounting holes in it that gets out of round was changed to metal in the later years and hold up a lot better. Look for ones from around 88~up in the junkyard. They are easy to identify because they only use two of the mounting holes instead of three where they bolt to the cowl.

Comment

Hm, did not know that. I'll have to keep an eye out for one as a spare for my car, just in case.

Comment

Working...
                      X