Cabin Water Leak 08 Town Car Right Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabin Water Leak 08 Town Car Right Side

I had a water leak same as Scott's apparently. The RF floor gets wet but the RR floor became a regulation mouse size hockey rink in the cold. It got deep. After doing the repair I have been wet-vacuuming it 2-3 times per day for 5 days. The front is now just slightly damp but the rear is still wicking up wet. Finally seems to be slowing down.

Before doing the repair you might want to clean the drain as shown in a pic below.

The right side cowl cover comes off with 2 (#1 size Phillips) long plastic screws. When installing you can just push them in. Make sure you caught the hole. The plastic part beneath this, I will call it the "Catch Basin" comes out with iirc 4 nuts and 3 hex head bolts. I previously added a cabin filter to this which seems to be working well BTW.

The foam gasket on the bottom of the Catch Basin ages out. Mine looked perfectly fine when I 1st removed the catch basin some months ago to clean the intake screen and fab up the filter. . With the cowl off I pored water down the windshield and saw now leaks into the cabin air intake. However after some time I noticed the foam was saturating and leaked slowly on the second bucket of water on the windshield. I guess a good long rain and a slow leak really accumulates water. The foam still looked good but it was porous when wet.

I used a Frost-King weatherstrip, Scott used 3m weatherstrip. In retrospect I might have just used the 3M Strip Calk which I keep on hand but I had already picked up the Frost-King stuff. I use the 3M Strip Calk to re-seal the Catch Basin hex screws. As someone else suggested I put the weatherstrip seam on what is the forward part of the Catch Basin (near the drain) when it is installed to reduce the chance of a leak there as water pours into the basin from the rear, windshield side.

An easy & Quick fix which appears to work well. Might as well add the cabin filter while you are in there. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ighlight=cabin

Thanks Scott.

Jay

The Catch Basin Drain Click image for larger version

Name:	20190202_162723.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1304857

Cowl & plastic screw Click image for larger version

Name:	20190202_172508.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1304858 Click image for larger version

Name:	0520180525_172550.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1304864 Catch basin With & Without Cabin Filter Click image for larger version

Name:	20190202_162935.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1304859Click image for larger version

Name:	20190202_162644.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1304860
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190202_155159.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1304861Click image for larger version

Name:	20190202_160903.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1304862
    Bottom of Catch Basin with new Gasket Click image for larger version

Name:	20190202_155141.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1304863
    Last edited by jaywish; 02-07-2019, 07:58 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

When this happened to me, I removed the seats, took the carpet and padding out, and reinstalled the drivers seat so I could still use the car. After it dried out, a few days later, I removed the drivers seat again and reinstalled the padding, carpet, and both seats. What a PITA, but I didn't want to risk it getting moldy.

Comment

I was thinking that but it would be hard alone in my garage and the weather is cold. For now I am leaving the mats up. removed the door opening molding and am doing the wetvac thing. Also passenger side floor heat set at 90 when I drive it.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I used my spotbot (wet vac - shopvacs work too) to suck out the excess water... then stomped out the carpet with some "for dirty jobs" old towels. Then I dropped one of these in my car to help dehumidify it... Got it all dried out in a few days without having to remove anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer-FG...dp/B01KYZ13TM/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Not a bad idea. Placed the dehumidifier in my empty Amazon cart.

I have a Dewalt 18V/AC 2.5gal wet/shop vac. I keep it in the trunk and every time I am going to use the car I give the carpet what it needs before I head out. Volume of water sucked out each time is getting less and less.

Looking forward to a nice long soaking rain to be sure it is all sealed up.
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Just a note... the "dehumidifier" is prone to tipping over in turns. Best bet is to just wedge it somewhere or pile stuff around it in the passenger seat (like a blanket).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
              X