LSD with 2.73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSD with 2.73

Guys - where can I buy LSD for diff with 2.73 ratio ? Will be easier to live in winter with LSD, but I don't want to loose MPG.
    Last edited by Atropos; 02-11-2019, 01:12 PM.
    '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

do you know if you have 28 or 31 spline axles?

Summit racing may have what you need but we need to know more about your vehicles rear end.

If you have the 8.8 with 28 spline this should work will all gear ratios

https://www.jegs.com/i/Auburn-Gear/1...383+4294829354

They have kits if you want to upgrade to 31 spline as well

You can get kits like this anywhere from Amazon, Summit, Jegs etc
    Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 02-11-2019, 07:03 PM.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

The change to 31 spline was mid-year in '05, so anything from there on up should be 31 spline unless someone changed the entire rear axle on your '09 MGM.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

What axle ratio do you have now? If you already have 2.73 then you keep those gears and just get a posi carrier plus whatever rebuild parts like bearings race and seals. It is an easier job if you don't change the gears.

here is an example of a brand new ford carrier. You may beat that price by looking around and used ones are certainly cheaper. Have to look into shipping.
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Racing....c100005.m1851

I think that is the same model I put in the Lincoln.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I think that my rear axle is factory one, so 99% that I have 31 spline - can I check it with my VIN number..? Will be good to be sure in case of import to Europe.
          '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

Comment

Yes you should have 31 spline count in an 09 unless the rear was changed to an older one at some point. I meant the gear ratio 2.73, 3.08, 3.27, 3.55 etc.

I don't know if euro cars have a door tag with vehicle information. In US the axle code is there along with other info. like tire pressure, vin, date of manufacture, trim codes, paint codes etc.

There should be a metal tag on the rear differential cover. That should also have gear code.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Cheapest way to go is OEM.

I buy a ton of stuff from LMR, and they are good folks. I am sure they would ship internationally if you call and talk to someone.

https://lmr.com/item/M4204F318C/Must...r-Clutch-Disks

For the record, the factory trac lok in my '08 Crown Vic has 195K on it and is still tight.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

As mentioned before, the metal tag on the differential would be the best place to figure out what differential and gears you have. It will have two lines of stamped text. The first five numbers in the second line are the ratio of the ring and pinion and size of the ring gear. If you have a locking differential, there will be an "L" after the first number. See the example below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	diff1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1285092 Click image for larger version

Name:	diff2.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1285093

The tag reads: "3L27 88". This means it's an 8.8" ring gear with a locking differential and a 3.27:1 ratio.

If the tag is missing, there are still a few ways you can figure out what gears and differential you have.

To find the ratio: jack the car up until the rear wheels are off the ground. Put the transmission in neutral. Mark or make note of a spot on the pinion flange, then turn the rear wheels one full revolution. Count how many times the driveshaft spins for one rotation of the tires. Another way would be to pull the differential cover off and take a look at what you have. Original Ford gears have the ratio cast into the face of the pinion gear. You could also count the number of teeth on each gear, then divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion gear.

To find what kind of differential you have: again with the car on jack stands, turn one wheel. If the opposite wheel turns in the same direction, it's a locking differential. If it spins in the opposite, it's open. This will work assuming there are no problems with the differential. Taking the cover off is also an option. A locking differential will have a large metal spring between the internal gears of the differential for pre-load.
                —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

90s and 2000s rangers had lsd with 28 spline. Thats where mine came from. Explorers had lsd around the same time but were 31 spline. You can really get creative with junkyard parts
                  Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                  Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                  Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

This is my metal tag: Click image for larger version

Name:	received_2322288078002944.jpeg
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1285129 Please help me in case of 28 or 31 spline.

Comment

It has to be 31 spline unless it was changed for older parts. I can't tell that from the tag.

It looks to me like a 2.73 gear set is already installed. So you can keep the gears which makes this as easy as possible. Not having to futz with the pinion gear is a real plus. Finding a whole 2.73 rear with LSD is unlikely at least around here.
                      You will know with 100% certainty when you are inside as ford stamps the ratio on the back of the pinion gear.

So what you need is a ford Posi/LSD 8.8 carrier, New Carrier & axle bearings plus axle seals and optionally a cover gasket (I usually like to use sealant & no gasket though you have to wait for it to dry). Almost certainly 31 spline.
                      If you get a used carrier you likely want a new clutch pack and be careful that the spider gears are good as new ones are expensive.

Please wait for confirmation of my reading.
                      Last edited by jaywish; 03-01-2019, 02:57 AM.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

For sure no one change parts for older ones, so it has 31 spline. I have 2.73 ratio - I checked axle code on door sticker. If I understand correct I need this one:

https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/al...ial-31-spline/

Am I right ?

Comment

Yes. That is the correct one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is it good idea to change bearing kit, when I will instal LSD diff ? Something like this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/sk...+seal+kit,2224

?

Comment

You also need carrier bearings and shims like this
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-8-8-RE...NABB:rk:4:pf:0
                              Axle bearings and seals like this.
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/Axle-Bearin...YAa:rk:25:pf:0

The rear brakes setup will be removed during this process so that may be the time for new components if needed. example pads, rotors, emergency brake components, calipers and caliper hardware.

Who will be doing this work? Do they have access to the detailed service manuals, torque wrenches, dial gauge with magnetic base and gear marking compound?
                              Last edited by jaywish; 03-01-2019, 02:07 PM.
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X