Wheel Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Modifications

So I got some 2015 Ford Explorer PI wheels (18" x 8") for the Crown Vic; which is getting the Bigger Big-Brake swap. I tried to test fit them on my '05 MGM and the center bore is too small; looks to be 1/16" too small. Has anybody bored out the center bore of any wheel before? Or is this something that can't/shouldn't be done?

https://www.machinedesign.com/fasten...centric-wheels

This may help
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I'm hoping to take out the bare minimum to get the wheel to slide over the hub.

Comment

63.4mm vs 70.6mm (.283" difference) You could get some thin spacers that just push the wheel past the hubcentric lip, like .375" and just locate off of the lugs.

To maintain the concentricity you'd desire with hubcentric mounting you would really need a machine shop. They would need to to set up each wheel on a Bridgeport and swing the ID that is there, and use a boring head to open up the diameter to 70.6

Comment

Sorry for beating a dead horse; I am planning on getting a set of summer wheels for the CV next year (after the bigger brake swap), that car will have the same hub bore (I think) as my '05 MGM. I am looking at 18" Saleen wheels; maybe US mags Rambler wheels; we'll see. Question: will I have to bore out the Mustang wheels like I will have to with the Explorer wheels?

Comment

I don't think so. The big brake hub is the same center bore as the aero which should be the same as the mustang. Only boxes had the LONG honker (still the same diameter, but much longer than the later panthers).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X