PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio upgrades?

Digital Dash Enthusiast Hearsesrock427's Avatar

Default Audio upgrades?

Anyone got part numbers or links for better audio hardware? Want to be able to blast rock and metal without the sound getting distorted. Don't want to install subwoofers or any stuff in the trunk, but everywhere else (doors, dashboard) is fair game. Both will be apart anyway. Imagine I'll need aftermarket amplifier, new speakers, etc. Thanks in advance guys!
    Slicktopped 1989 Grand Marquis "Ebyt". Primary project.
    255/50/R16 BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2 tires, big disc brakes, polyurethane suspension bushings + body mounts, BBK long tube headers, HVAC delete
    Spring 2019 plans: Maintenance, digital dash, aluminum driveshaft, additional chassis bracing

Slicktopped 1985 Grand Marquis "Eva". Secondary project.
    Summer 2019 plans: Full chassis swap, maintenance.

I post a lot...

I used Alpine Head unit and Amp along with 2 rear speakers 6x9s, for the door I think the standard size both front and rear speakers were 2-way and they were Polk Audio. I later upgraded to two 10 inch subs to go with the front and rear speakers that I also upgraded, the subs are in a "down fire box and sound great. Go to your Car Audio store and take a listen to some of the set-ups in store and have fun.

Me highly recommend JBL speak-easies. THeir power series if you can find it. I'm running their 6x9's in the back of my Townie and their 6.5's(?) in my doors along with their five channel amp to also power my JBL power series sub. No distortion. I also recommend factory JBL speakers if you can't find the Power Series stuff. Alpine amps work well too, I've got a SONY deck in my Townie for various reasons. If you'd like, I can figure out the exact model numbers for everything. Also, what is critical to getting rid of distortion is to make sure you aren't over driving your speakers by properly tuning the gain settings and utilizing the high pass filters on your deck as well as the amps themselves. Tiny speakers can't handle bass despite being able to respond to it and voice coils really hate being forced to pass DC current if the amp clips and sends it to them.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

How do you get to the rear 6x9 to change out? My 08 MGM LS has evil china made ones with ford logo on them. (How can these people sleep at night?) It appears the soft cloth trim deck panel must come out to expose screw heads on the upper part of speakers. But how does that happen in step by step please?
    "In an insane society a sane man would appear insane." --Spock to Kirk
    2008 GM LS in Smokestone Metallic

I post a lot...

For the 08 you need to pull the lower seat out, then unbolt the rear seat back which then gives you access to take out the parcel shelf.

Not as intimidating as it sounds.

Yeah... just two bolts. If they're the same as in my aero and whale... it should be a T40 or T45 bolt. The real pisser is getting the shelf to flex enough to come clear of the C panels. Of course, taking the high mount brake light out is a must. Should just be one screw in either side, then lift off and un-clip the electrical connection.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

that seems excessively involved for 2 speakers. When did they stop being under-mounted?

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

I think 92

Yeah... Aeros went to top mount. No more rubbers holding them up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

see, once you start replacing corners with curves it all goes to shit.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Meh... bolted in is better than rubber banded. It does take longer to get to though. But Aeros also got the subwoofer option, which boxes never got.

dunno, I blew up my knee last time I removed the back seat from my car. I never hurt myself removing the strap-on speakers, so I'll reject your claim on the basis of the pain, expense, and occasional recurring issues some 6 years after that happened.

Other way around for me. Never hurt myself removing the back seat, but had a rubber band try to take a finger off once. Thankfully my fingers are double jointed.

Oww. I had an impact wrench break my finger once. Lucky uhm.. nothing.

Okay, double checked basic dimensions on some parts 6x9 for rear parcel shelf duties, 6.5 inches for the doors. Dash speakers are 4 inches, if Crutchfield is to be believed. Have 3G alternator and all HVAC stuff is removed, so I'm thinking we should have plenty of room to grow. But I wanted to run it by you mangs before I pull the trigger on anything. Shopping list below. Any concerns with draw?

Parcel shelf speakers- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113699...5PS.html?avf=Y
    Door speakers- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113169...6PS.html?avf=Y
    Dash speakers- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113109...FC-1096PS.html
    Adapters for factory harness- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120725...r-Harness.html
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-07-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    255/50/R16 BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2 tires, big disc brakes, polyurethane suspension bushings + body mounts, BBK long tube headers, HVAC delete
    Spring 2019 plans: Maintenance, digital dash, aluminum driveshaft, additional chassis bracing

Dash are 5 inch using 3 screw mounts that require spacer rings to mount 4 inch speakers. There will only be wires to locations that are currently loaded. If you have door speakers, you don't have dash speakers and vice versa. In the Mad Marquis, I ended up deleting the dash speakers and running that speaker wire down and into the doors and running 6.5s in the doors. Worked much better for me. I did have to drill the holes for the screws to mount in the door though.

The speakers you have listed are good. Also, ordering from Crutchfield, they should include the speaker adapter harnesses (at least that's been my experience).
    Last edited by sly; 04-07-2019 at 10:23 AM.

@sly: Interesting. Didn't know that you got either door speakers or dash speakers; I thought that dash speakers were standard and door speakers were optional. I have door speakers, so we'll just buy upgraded parts to replace those. (Do like how they included installation gear on the parcel shelf and door speakers, wasn't sure if one would also need a set for the dash speakers so I linked the adapter just in case). Figure we'll spring for an amplifier; rear parcel shelf speakers are getting replaced so now's the time to upgrade while we're already there, plus power wires and 12 feet of RCA cable. Thanks for your help mang!

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_070BAK...l-BAK1000.html
    OR
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_613KAC...l?cc=07&tp=115

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_007CK8...field-CK8.html
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_007CME...s-12-foot.html
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-07-2019 at 09:56 PM.

hm, I was under the impression they all got door speakers but dash was an upgrade with premium sound. I didn't think you got one or the other.

The mad Marquis (88 MGM GS) had the base stereo... which was dash and rear deck. No door speakers. Door pockets though. So maybe it's an 88/89 thing. If you have premium sound, you probably have all locations filled.

Stay away from Kenwood unless you want harshness and over exaggerated treble with lacking mid & low bass. JBL or Infinity. Or better yet, go to a junkyard like I recommended and get yourself some JBL's from a donor Lincoln, they will sound at least 3x better than those Kenwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    hm, I was under the impression they all got door speakers but dash was an upgrade with premium sound. I didn't think you got one or the other.
    My '85 had the base stereo, dash speakers only. Door speakers were indeed an option.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast