Audio upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio upgrades?

Anyone got part numbers or links for better audio hardware? Want to be able to blast rock and metal without the sound getting distorted. Don't want to install subwoofers or any stuff in the trunk, but everywhere else (doors, dashboard) is fair game. Both will be apart anyway. Imagine I'll need aftermarket amplifier, new speakers, etc. Thanks in advance guys!
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

I used Alpine Head unit and Amp along with 2 rear speakers 6x9s, for the door I think the standard size both front and rear speakers were 2-way and they were Polk Audio. I later upgraded to two 10 inch subs to go with the front and rear speakers that I also upgraded, the subs are in a "down fire box and sound great. Go to your Car Audio store and take a listen to some of the set-ups in store and have fun.

Comment

Me highly recommend JBL speak-easies. THeir power series if you can find it. I'm running their 6x9's in the back of my Townie and their 6.5's(?) in my doors along with their five channel amp to also power my JBL power series sub. No distortion. I also recommend factory JBL speakers if you can't find the Power Series stuff. Alpine amps work well too, I've got a SONY deck in my Townie for various reasons. If you'd like, I can figure out the exact model numbers for everything. Also, what is critical to getting rid of distortion is to make sure you aren't over driving your speakers by properly tuning the gain settings and utilizing the high pass filters on your deck as well as the amps themselves. Tiny speakers can't handle bass despite being able to respond to it and voice coils really hate being forced to pass DC current if the amp clips and sends it to them.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

How do you get to the rear 6x9 to change out? My 08 MGM LS has evil china made ones with ford logo on them. (How can these people sleep at night?) It appears the soft cloth trim deck panel must come out to expose screw heads on the upper part of speakers. But how does that happen in step by step please?
        "In an insane society a sane man would appear insane." --Spock to Kirk
        2008 GM LS in Smokestone Metallic

Comment

For the 08 you need to pull the lower seat out, then unbolt the rear seat back which then gives you access to take out the parcel shelf.

Not as intimidating as it sounds.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yeah... just two bolts. If they're the same as in my aero and whale... it should be a T40 or T45 bolt. The real pisser is getting the shelf to flex enough to come clear of the C panels. Of course, taking the high mount brake light out is a must. Should just be one screw in either side, then lift off and un-clip the electrical connection.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

that seems excessively involved for 2 speakers. When did they stop being under-mounted?
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think 92
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yeah... Aeros went to top mount. No more rubbers holding them up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

see, once you start replacing corners with curves it all goes to shit.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Meh... bolted in is better than rubber banded. It does take longer to get to though. But Aeros also got the subwoofer option, which boxes never got.

Comment

dunno, I blew up my knee last time I removed the back seat from my car. I never hurt myself removing the strap-on speakers, so I'll reject your claim on the basis of the pain, expense, and occasional recurring issues some 6 years after that happened.

Comment

Other way around for me. Never hurt myself removing the back seat, but had a rubber band try to take a finger off once. Thankfully my fingers are double jointed.

Comment

Oww. I had an impact wrench break my finger once. Lucky uhm.. nothing.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Okay, double checked basic dimensions on some parts 6x9 for rear parcel shelf duties, 6.5 inches for the doors. Dash speakers are 4 inches, if Crutchfield is to be believed. Have 3G alternator and all HVAC stuff is removed, so I'm thinking we should have plenty of room to grow. But I wanted to run it by you mangs before I pull the trigger on anything. Shopping list below. Any concerns with draw?

Parcel shelf speakers- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113699...5PS.html?avf=Y
                              Door speakers- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113169...6PS.html?avf=Y
                              Dash speakers- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113109...FC-1096PS.html
                              Adapters for factory harness- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120725...r-Harness.html
                              Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-07-2019, 08:08 AM.
                              '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                              '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                              '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Working...
                              X