Beginning a T5 Swap, 85 Crown Vic, 4cyl T5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning a T5 Swap, 85 Crown Vic, 4cyl T5

Recently on my local craigslist someone posted a t5 for $100. I couldnt pass that up, 2hrs later and ive got a manual. This T5 in particular is a WC unit from an 87-89 4cyl Mustang, the gentleman i bought it from dropped it from a 90 Lx. Im not concered with the strength of a 4cyl T5, due to the lowerd torque rating, im more so worried about the gearing, the first gear is almost 4:1 its something like 3.97 and with 3.55 gears in the back, it comes to about 14.1:1 Final Drive Ratio. This is just for 1st gear (duhh), ive read on mustang forums that 1st gear is essentialy useless, why is this, I get that that final drive is equivalent to have 5.8 Gears in the diff, But wouldnt that just make me accelerate quicker, or would I just spin the tires. I wouldnt be opossed to changing the rear gears cause 3.55's are cool and all but i could get some 3.27's from a crown vic or something. Also What if I would just shift into 2nd gear and not even use 1st, would there be any major consequences? I appreciate all the replies and want to know if you guys know any webcite to get killer deals for tranny parts. Im not opossed to buying used but what parts should i buy new? A clutch for sure, but do i need a nee pressure plate, where can i get pedal assemblies, do i need to mess with the speedo? This is still a lopo v8, done a few things nothing radical. Ill keep yall updated

The ~4:1 first gear of the 4-banger T5 gets too much torque to the wheels (wheel spin), sets up a huge gap to 2nd. Really not suited to a V8. If you do run it, get some 2.73 gears for the rear to make it reasonably usable. They sell gear sets to convert the trans if needed, but not budget friendly. Also, don’t forget the pilot bearing for the input shaft is different from a a V8, I think it’s a 1980’s Diesel Ranger part that will work.

You could start out in 2nd if you have 3.55 gears or higher. But at that point it’s a three speed with granny gear and overdrive.

Have you considered a V6 T5? They have the more reasonable 3.35 first and 0.70 5th which is near perfect IMO for the 2.73 and 3.08 rear gears a lot of these cars came with. They have the mechanical speedo gear provision through 1998 or so. Only need to change the input shaft if running a Fox bellhousing. I got one a while back for $80. It needs rebuilt I am guessing, but for $400 total, I’ll have a rebuilt T5 (hopefully).
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Looking forward to your progress. Please please please document on the forums how you did it. Way too many just "do it" and leave the important dirty bits untold.

Anyways did the trans come with the bell housing?

You will need to fab up the pedal assembly. Common practice is purchasing a fox body (79-93) mustang manual pedal assembly and robbing it of its clutch pedal and clutch pedal tube and fabricobbling that into your stock pedal box. Like i have done here: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post810949

For the speedo all you will need is the proper manual transmission gear that is installed onto the end of the speedo cable at the transmission.

Below is just a rough list off things I have been purchasing/looking to purchase for my swap..there are some duplicates on the list....just a basic guideline on things to choose from that I am considering/have already purchased for my build.

• LRS-7007R spacer plate $29.99
      • M6397A302 10.5” pressure plate and clutch bolts and dowels $14.99
      • M6375C302B 50oz billet steel 10.5” flywheel $229.97
      • M7560A302 10.5” heavy duty clutch kit $249.99
      • LRS-7600A pilot bearing $10.99
      • M7553A302-K ford clutch fork, cable, quadrant, firewall adjustor, clutch cable retaining clip $124.99
      • MM-MMCP51 1982-04 Ford Mustang Maximum Motorsports Clutch Cable Kit $157.40
      • LRS-7515AF 1982-93 Mustang Clutch Fork 5.0 FORD $49.99
      • M7003ZB transmission with bell housing and pivot stud $2,099.99
      • LRS-6397AK bell housing dowel pins $7.99
      • HDW-6392A bell housing to block bolts $10.99
      • RP-SCM-K Royal purple syncromesh fluid $59.99
      • LRS-17271C-K 21 tooth speedmeter gear for manual transmission $13.50
      • LRS-17271B-K 20 tooth speedmeter gear for manual transmission $14.99
      • LRS-7513AK Clutch Fork Cover Kit $32.99
      • M4033G2 Ford Racing Rear end girdle $214.99
      • RP-12300K Royal Purple Gear Lube and Friction Additive $49.99
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

NO, unfortunatly there was no bellhousing, but around me the t5 is the hard part to find, there is a posting on my local cl also for an aluminum bellhousing and 157 tooth flywheel for 100, Is there anyway to change the gearing in teh tranny? All you would have to do is pop out the 4cyl gears, and throw in the v8 ratios right, i need a few more videos that I need to watch first, but im not going to be starting the swap until i have EVERYTHING. Right now its just the gear box (not even a shift knob, got the shifter tho) ive still got much more to hunt for, I will try to be as indepth as possible when ever everything goes down.

Comment

I've got a '89 K1500 with a 350 and a 5LM60 transmission with 3.73 rear gears. It has a 4.01:1 1st gear. It IS useless, but 2nd is too steep to start in @ 2.32. It feels like I have to shift as soon as I let the clutch out, at 10mph I think the tach is close to 2k rip 'ems.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I'd unload the 4 cyl unit and find either a V6 or V8 T5.

If you have plans to increase power (or you are a spirited driver with mild bolt ons), I would definitely look into a steel bearing retainer, shimming the input shaft, a cluster support, and if you are ambitious, billet synchro keys and bronze shift fork pads. A good shifter with positive stops is also a good idea.

You can buy all this stuff for a couple hundred bucks, and it will improve the strength and "shiftability" of the transmission, especially at rpm.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 85LTDCrownHip View Post
              NO, unfortunatly there was no bellhousing, but around me the t5 is the hard part to find, there is a posting on my local cl also for an aluminum bellhousing and 157 tooth flywheel for 100, Is there anyway to change the gearing in teh tranny? All you would have to do is pop out the 4cyl gears, and throw in the v8 ratios right, i need a few more videos that I need to watch first, but im not going to be starting the swap until i have EVERYTHING. Right now its just the gear box (not even a shift knob, got the shifter tho) ive still got much more to hunt for, I will try to be as indepth as possible when ever everything goes down.

and part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR8LetFQSoc

Quite a bit going on.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah, funny thing is that after all that work, Eric ended up going with a TKO something IIRC. Maybe he'll sell it to you, 85LTD.

Comment

Its possible to change the gearing, but basically you need a donor trans to do it. If you've got the donor trans with the right gears, there isn't much point in swapping them around unless the donor is fucked in some other way.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yes yes yes.... please keep us posted. i too am doing a t5 swap. im in the parts gathering stage and looking for guidance too! i will for sure be posting up my progress with it as i continue with it.

i found this article during my search and have re-read it several times. has some pretty quick crash course style info on what ratios went in what trans for all the years. http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...-5-five-speed/

ETCG also has a few videos on the Fairmont 8.8 rebuild if you have any interest in doing gears changes or a LSD.

for my 82 Merc im still trying to source my t5, looking for a mustang unit, the later the better from what ive read regarding the overall strength and power handling and has a higher ratio. im already in the process of a 96 axle swap with disc, im rebuilding it with traklok 3.73s, and then a 351 to make it all turn.
                    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

ETCG's 8.8 build video actually makes me want to try it myself. Hands down the best tutorial on how to set up gears without a pinion depth tool I've ever seen.
                      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Indeed, yet I still feel like I'd screw it up. I liked that video a lot. Looks like he'll be tackling a GM 10 bolt soon too. He hates the factory stereo in that truck too, yet wont respond to emails in which I've asked him to sell it to me.

Comment

GM went all in with the goofy futuristic user interface on their late-'80s/early-'90s offerings.
                          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Working...
                          X