No announcement yet.

Ac belt install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which bolt exactly are you needing, the upper pivot bolt on the tensioner? Should be the same as the AC compressor bolts. Its something metric, probably M8 if I had to guess at it. If you can get a pic of which bolts you need I can check whats on my car.

The alternator bolt size depends on the alternator. Stock is some metric thing, if you're not picky you can just use a long 3/8" bolt with a nut on the back side. Thats the usual way 3g alternators are installed since they are not tapped like the original 2g is. Failing that I believe its an M10 bolt.

If the 3g looks basically like the stock one, it should work. If its very obviously different in how it mounts, then you'll need something else.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I have the bolt situation under control, I need the nut sizes for the smog pump/tensioner bracket but I happened to find one that works on the water pump studs. Im guessing thats where that bracket bolts to.

The bracket I got was the wrong one, Im a little pissed but its really my fault for not looking at it closer when I bought it. Whatever Ill try to get to the junkyard...

Also Im not worried about the alternator bolt anymore after seeing how many more threads are in there. Im going to get a longer bolt to reach the good threads and just be careful from now until I do the 3g swap. I buy parts and dont open them til I need them (which has been much later since getting a second job) but it looks like the alternator I got is similar enough. Attached are pics of the bolt and pieces of thread and the spot where that bracket is supposed to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here are some old pics from my set up...may help

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thank you that does help. I was able to find the right bracket on ebay and snatched it up. Now all I need is the bolt to hold the tensioner in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X