PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Ac belt install

Default Ac belt install

I cant seem to find anything in reference to this but how do you get the ac belt on? It will not pass between the crank and water pump pulleys. I remember when I had my 85 I put a belt on no problem but there isnt enough room for it to pass between the pulleys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to remove the alternator belt and then you can slip on the ac belt. You need to loosen the tensioner for the ac belt which is located directly under the ac.

Ribs over ac, smog and crank. backside over tensioner.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Thats not the issue, I have the alternator belt off already. The issue is that the water pump pulley and crank pulley are so close that even the belt cannot slip between the two. Ill get a pic tommow. As far as I know both are stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
    Thats not the issue, I have the alternator belt off already. The issue is that the water pump pulley and crank pulley are so close that even the belt cannot slip between the two. Ill get a pic tommow. As far as I know both are stock.

I understand. Odd. Take the fan out. Fan bolts hold on the water pump pulley. I am skeptical on this not working though. Belts are thin. For there to be no room between the belt and the crank pulley smells fishy.
    ~David~

loosen the fan bolts enough to wiggle the pulley and you should have room. I think this happens when the pump is replaced with a mustang one... if it even clears the crank pulley at all. Maybe the truck water pump. I know the shops around here have horrible issues with their parts houses sending them the wrong parts for box water pumps.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Truck pumps are usually different mounting. Mustang pumps don't fit either. Same mounting, but the snouts are different. If you put them side by each, the mounting flanges are not at the same depth. The bolt pattern doesn't match, and the center shaft piece isn't the same size either. I seem to remember its bigger, so the pulley won't even go on. Its also reverse rotation so it won't move water for crap even if it does get stuffed on. The only pump that actually fits and functions on these cars is the one for them, and some other Fords with multi-belt setups from the 80s. The single belt stuff is it's own animal.

honestly can't picture why it doesn't fit like it should either. There ought to be enough room to fit, even if its not acres of space down there.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Maybe it had a different year pulley on the crank or the water pump. But yeah... I'm at a loss too. I know there's not much clearance and it's a PITA to change that belt, but I've always managed to squeak the belt out flat with about the thickness again to spare.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Ill get some better pics when I can but this is the best I can do right now. As far as I know its the stock water pump. This thing hasnt had an ac belt since probably before my buddy owned it so he probably wouldnt know either. As you can see in the second pic if you zoom it is the pulleys are almost touching. There just isnt enough room. Im pretty stumped myself, I didnt have this problem when I had my 85.

Hrm, is it possible someone put a different fan/waterpump pulley on there? How about try to hit a yard and pick a different one up or buy a different one after comparing the measurements of your old one?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Its possible the pulley is different and yes the fan is different. I bought it with an electric fan but I didnt want to worry about it failing so I got a new clutch and a used fan off ebay. The fan itself was from an ltd but the seller didnt specify whether it was from the fox platform or panther platform ltd and didnt know so I took a chance with it being so cheap.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Work it back and forth between the raised edge of the first pulley on the crank. It'll clear. Just takes a little effort.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

the fan is fairly easy to see if its the right one. If it blows through the grille, its the wrong one. It should suck. Otherwise honestly it doesn't matter that much.

but yeah, pullies, I think the 351 police cars may have used a slightly larger crank pulley to get some more cooling going on. I expect they would have used a slightly smaller fan pulley to go with that. If I get motivated later I might see if I can determine if there were different part numbers in the catalog for 5.8 vs 5.0 engines.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Can you just take the fan/water pump pulley off and then install the ac/smog belt, then reinstall the water pump pulley/fan and install the alt/ps belt?

I believe its the correct one it just looks different than the one I had on my 85.

Im just going to loosen the water pump pulley to get the rear belt on, Im still stumped by this as I didnt have this problem with my 85. I remember I just put on a new belt and off I went. It could be the wrong pulley, anyone want to measure their water pump pulley?

I loosened the water pump pulley (a pia since I only had an adjustable wrench!) and slipped the belt on. Welp I had this great idea of using a stock tensioner on the lower left ac compressor bolt and torquing it down (since I dont have the lower ac bracket) but it wont stay in place. Anyway I bought the correct bracket to install the tensioner on but I dont know what size bolts/nuts to use. Now I havent been able to mock it up so I might not need anything but just in case Id like to have the hardware I need before I go to install it and hit another brick wall. Also I stripped the threads on the alternator when tightening it so does anyone know what size tap Ill need? I bought a 3g alternator from a v6 mustang but I dont think itll work since its from a 01-04...

I love this car and its been a labor of love but damn its always 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Which bolt exactly are you needing, the upper pivot bolt on the tensioner? Should be the same as the AC compressor bolts. Its something metric, probably M8 if I had to guess at it. If you can get a pic of which bolts you need I can check whats on my car.

The alternator bolt size depends on the alternator. Stock is some metric thing, if you're not picky you can just use a long 3/8" bolt with a nut on the back side. Thats the usual way 3g alternators are installed since they are not tapped like the original 2g is. Failing that I believe its an M10 bolt.

If the 3g looks basically like the stock one, it should work. If its very obviously different in how it mounts, then you'll need something else.

I think I have the bolt situation under control, I need the nut sizes for the smog pump/tensioner bracket but I happened to find one that works on the water pump studs. Im guessing thats where that bracket bolts to.

The bracket I got was the wrong one, Im a little pissed but its really my fault for not looking at it closer when I bought it. Whatever Ill try to get to the junkyard...

Also Im not worried about the alternator bolt anymore after seeing how many more threads are in there. Im going to get a longer bolt to reach the good threads and just be careful from now until I do the 3g swap. I buy parts and dont open them til I need them (which has been much later since getting a second job) but it looks like the alternator I got is similar enough. Attached are pics of the bolt and pieces of thread and the spot where that bracket is supposed to go.

Here are some old pics from my set up...may help

~David~

Thank you that does help. I was able to find the right bracket on ebay and snatched it up. Now all I need is the bolt to hold the tensioner in place.