Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hit while parked... How to fix a bumper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit while parked... How to fix a bumper?

Hey All,

Some jackass sometime last week at night must have smashed into my Crown Vic while it was parked on the side my house. Now there's a dent in the bumper and the bump stops are all sorts of wonky. They actually managed to push my crown vic into my Oldsmobile parked behind it but thankfully neither were damaged from that part of the collision.

Any idea if it's possible to hammer out or how to fix it?

Pics below:
    Bumper dent (hard to see in pics):

Bumper pushed in:

Driver's side bumper mount:

Passenger's side:

Thanks in advance!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Find someway to pull the bumper back out of the absorber and hope the internal spring is still springy and the bumper stays where it is supposed to.

Alex.

Comment

The dent in the bumper itself you'll need to remove the bumper and the inner support to hammer it out. Its unlikely to ever be perfect though, the chrome is going to show absolutely every imperfection.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I doubt you can even get that bumper dent to budge. If you do it will likely just make it worse looking. Id loosen up the bumper shocks from under the car and just try to get the bumper even and call it good. Pursuing it further may make things worse.

I will also say that this was a HARD hit. Whatever they were driving was fucked good.
        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-19-2019, 07:13 PM.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The dent in the bumper can be fixed using a shop press. I wouldn't hammer it because you will just leave dents and the hammer will need to be pretty large to even leave a mark.

As for bumper shock if it's compressed it's likely toast. You can try tying the bumper to a pole or a tree and backing up but usually if it's compressed it needs to be replaced. If you ever drilled or cut one of those shocks you would know that they are filled with some white foam type crap.

Comment

I have bumper shocks and I may have the center pad. I have hood ornaments too! WagonMan VEIGHTPETE@GMAIL.COM
            89 Colony Park
            90 Colony Park
            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

You will need at least a bumper and bumper shock more like both as well as the plastic cover pices, that bumper is pretty well wonkafied.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                I doubt you can even get that bumper dent to budge. If you do it will likely just make it worse looking. Id loosen up the bumper shocks from under the car and just try to get the bumper even and call it good. Pursuing it further may make things worse.

I will also say that this was a HARD hit. Whatever they were driving was fucked good.
                All of this, especially the last two sentences
                It's a good thing these have the bumper shock absorbers, they sacrificed themselves big time. Could have been much worse. All in all, your bumper doesn't look bad at all. So until you find a replacement as well as new shock absorber you can try to pull it out like others have mentioned.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Figured I'd post here before I tried forcing the dent out so I don't just end up making things worse.

Who ever hit me must have been driving a pick up truck. Any regular passenger car's bumper would have exploded in plastic and crumple zone where they hit me with how hard they did. I remember when I got hit in my '91 GMQ years ago the car that hit me was completely destroyed from the hit. I ended up driving the car for another year or so with the dents, but it was still drivable.

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                  The dent in the bumper can be fixed using a shop press. I wouldn't hammer it because you will just leave dents and the hammer will need to be pretty large to even leave a mark.

As for bumper shock if it's compressed it's likely toast. You can try tying the bumper to a pole or a tree and backing up but usually if it's compressed it needs to be replaced. If you ever drilled or cut one of those shocks you would know that they are filled with some white foam type crap.
                  My friend might have a press we can use to give that a try. Sounds like that's the only way to really go to potentially get the dent out cleanly-ish. (Bumper has to come off anyway if the bumper shocks need to be replaced)

Didn't know that about the internals of the shocks. Thought they were like GM_Guy said with some sort of spring in them. Good to know.

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                  I have bumper shocks and I may have the center pad. I have hood ornaments too! WagonMan VEIGHTPETE@GMAIL.COM
                  Oh! Awesome!! I'll send you an email tonight about them. Thank you!!

Originally posted by Rodentkiller View Post
                  You will need at least a bumper and bumper shock more like both as well as the plastic cover pices, that bumper is pretty well wonkafied.
                  Hopefully I can get it presentable enough that my wonkafied (lol) bumper is "good enough" until I can find a cheap replacement. Not sure how many, if any, are left on the island that aren't rusted.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  All of this, especially the last two sentences
                  It's a good thing these have the bumper shock absorbers, they sacrificed themselves big time. Could have been much worse. All in all, your bumper doesn't look bad at all. So until you find a replacement as well as new shock absorber you can try to pull it out like others have mentioned.
                  Yeah, thank god for them. Probably would have ended up with some weird fender/door alignments from bending if the bumper shocks weren't there or already compressed. Also, thank god my '96 Oldsmobile wasn't the one that was parked in the front and hit. A blow like that would have completely totalled it and I would be out of my winter daily driver. (Not to mention it's in great shape so it would be a shame all around)

Thanks for all the insight and help! I'll keep you posted on how things go.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Slack you can take the bumper to a bumper shop to get is repaird instead of trying to find a new bumper, try and find new bumper shocks wagonman has some yes the sticky wiket is the plastic covers for the bumper shocks good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                      Didn't know that about the internals of the shocks. Thought they were like GM_Guy said with some sort of spring in them. Good to know.
                      Give it a yank out anyway, if she is toast you will know it, if its got some spring left in it, you will also know it.

Alex.

Comment

If you cant live with what you have there I have a re-chromed front bumper that uses just the bumperetts if you are interested. It is in immaculate condition.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X