Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove/replace power door lock solenoid rods on box panthers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you remove/replace power door lock solenoid rods on box panthers?

Can one open up the assembly and swap in a proper rod? Id imagine so but how?

The passengers side door lock solenoid is on its way out and I picked up a replacement from the same era. I dont believe the rod is correct though and would like to be prepared with the knowledge needed on swapping rods when the time comes.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Pull the condom off
    underneath you'll find a star washer looking thing at the top of the stem coming out of the lock motor
    remove this by carefully prying up on it
    the cup underneath of it will come off, and 3 ball bearings will drop out
    pull the rod out
    re-assemble with the other rod. A dab of grease helps hold the balls in position while you put the cup back down.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just pop the roll-pin out of the collar the rod is held in with and swap in the correct one. This may be just the later boxes though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Pull the condom off
        underneath you'll find a star washer looking thing at the top of the stem coming out of the lock motor
        remove this by carefully prying up on it
        the cup underneath of it will come off, and 3 ball bearings will drop out
        pull the rod out
        re-assemble with the other rod. A dab of grease helps hold the balls in position while you put the cup back down.
        Wow. I just did a dry run and it was EXACTLY as you described. Fantastic.

Originally posted by sly View Post
        I just pop the roll-pin out of the collar the rod is held in with and swap in the correct one. This may be just the later boxes though.
        Must be. Nothing on the old box solenoids resemble that.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The aftermarket ones have the pin and interchangeable rods.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Must be later boxes then. The first one I replaced in the Mad Marquis, I had to use the old rod and it mounted the same as the "new" part. It had Motorcraft part numbers on it as well. It may have been newer replacement Motorcraft parts though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Have done a lock solenoid replacement myself but the lock doesn’t move like it did - like a rifle breach load n lock awesomeness. Kinda sluggish. Not seeing any snags on the connecting rods (or the cloth sheathing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              sigpic
              1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
              302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
              COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

usually means the lube in either the solenoid or the latch is gummy.

Comment

My problem is the manual lock, passenger side. The power lock is ok. I've been told that the linkage or the rod was bent, probably by a window motor installer. So I found a rod in a junkyard, but I'm unsure how to proceed.
                  1987 Grand Marquis LS two door, trying to get to the 60,000 mile mark.

Comment

The end that goes into the manual lock just pushes in and pulls out. There's a retention clip in the manual lock peg that accomplishes this. Just apply firm pressure to the removal and installation. The other end, I don't remember off hand. I think there's a clip that rotates off and then the rod slips out. Those clips are available in a variety pack from Dorman.

Comment

Working...
                    X