comp xe 258 which tfs heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

comp xe 258 which tfs heads?

88town car motor. I'm trying to figure out which trickflow heads to pair with a comp xe 258 Cam. Im wanting there new cnc twisted wedge design. It's the llR. Which ones though. 170 56cc 190 65cc? There's no valve reliefs on the pistons. Planning for 1.6 rockers. Theres two different xe 258 cams also. Not sure which to choose.. Thanks for the help

Running a 302, I’d stick to the 170cc intake runner if you plan to keep it a 5.0. There is a 63cc combustion chamber offered which would be a nice fit for your flat tops.

Piston to valve clearance might be an issue since the XE258 has some decent valve lift. I’d reach out to TFS and ask.

What are your goals for this engine?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I think with 1.6 rr it clears fine. 1.7 gets it stupid close though. IIRC someone else here ran that combo fine (1.6).

+1 definitely call and find out for sure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

This setup will probly do best with 24lb explorer ev6 injectors a9p and a tune I think. I wonder how many horsepower(:

Comment

The explorer intakes are lightly ported. 3.55 gears Lightning spacer. Bbk headers. I was originally hoping for 300 horsepower after the trans is rebuilt with silverfox valveboby/ different torque converter. Maybe 2000. I'd be happy with 260hp

Comment

May I ask why such a small cam with those heads? I'd go with at least the XE264. The 258 pairs better with stockish heads, like GT40's, but it will limit your power overall.
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

You may find you need more injector. I'm running an XE258 with ported Explorer intake and ported E7 heads and they get close to max duty cycle. Not so close that I'm worried but basically I've got no room to do anything without more injector.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was hoping the xe258 would clear my no valve relief pistons. The tech at trickflow suggested the 170cc 53cc. So 24 pound may not quite do it. My theory was if I'm careful picking parts, I won't have to mess with the pistons. If it won't touch the 264 has some more power up top I think. I figured I'd do a turbo and pistons few years down the line to get that top end power. I wish they had desk top engine builder like desk top dyno lol.

Comment

Flat tops and 53cc? That’s gonna push compression above 10:1, maybe 11:1. 10:1 might be okay, but 11:1 even with aluminum heads starts to push pump gas standards with milder cams. How far in the hole are the pistons at TDC?
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

What pistons, the lopo dishes or something else? I know the xe258 with 1.7's clears fine with stock replacement HO pistons but those have valve reliefs. Never clayed it, it just hasn't exploded yet so I'm confident saying it clears by now.

Its not the max lift that is the issue anyway, its duration. Max lift hits when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke, the trick is the valve has to shut before the piston gets back up top.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey gadget, what size injectors are you close to maxing out? The 24? Thats a good point tiggie. I wasn't thinking About compression. The 63 would help that huh. the plan is 93 octane and 1.6 rockers. Is the ev6 style injector ideal? they come in 24lb for sure. Looking into duration and the piston position at tdc..thanks guys

Comment

24#

Comment

somewhere along the line a guy had one in a ranger with no porting, or tune. made 275/325 to the wheels.
                          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

So, thought I'd throw on the explorer upper and lower and lightning Tb while figuring out the rest of the build. The tps and Iac connectors are different for the Lincoln. Everything else fit well.

Comment

use the stock parts so they plug in.

Comment

Working...
                              X