PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: comp xe 258 which tfs heads?

Default comp xe 258 which tfs heads?

88town car motor. I'm trying to figure out which trickflow heads to pair with a comp xe 258 Cam. Im wanting there new cnc twisted wedge design. It's the llR. Which ones though. 170 56cc 190 65cc? There's no valve reliefs on the pistons. Planning for 1.6 rockers. Theres two different xe 258 cams also. Not sure which to choose.. Thanks for the help

Running a 302, I’d stick to the 170cc intake runner if you plan to keep it a 5.0. There is a 63cc combustion chamber offered which would be a nice fit for your flat tops.

Piston to valve clearance might be an issue since the XE258 has some decent valve lift. I’d reach out to TFS and ask.

What are your goals for this engine?
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I think with 1.6 rr it clears fine. 1.7 gets it stupid close though. IIRC someone else here ran that combo fine (1.6).

+1 definitely call and find out for sure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

This setup will probly do best with 24lb explorer ev6 injectors a9p and a tune I think. I wonder how many horsepower(:

The explorer intakes are lightly ported. 3.55 gears Lightning spacer. Bbk headers. I was originally hoping for 300 horsepower after the trans is rebuilt with silverfox valveboby/ different torque converter. Maybe 2000. I'd be happy with 260hp

May I ask why such a small cam with those heads? I'd go with at least the XE264. The 258 pairs better with stockish heads, like GT40's, but it will limit your power overall.
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

You may find you need more injector. I'm running an XE258 with ported Explorer intake and ported E7 heads and they get close to max duty cycle. Not so close that I'm worried but basically I've got no room to do anything without more injector.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I was hoping the xe258 would clear my no valve relief pistons. The tech at trickflow suggested the 170cc 53cc. So 24 pound may not quite do it. My theory was if I'm careful picking parts, I won't have to mess with the pistons. If it won't touch the 264 has some more power up top I think. I figured I'd do a turbo and pistons few years down the line to get that top end power. I wish they had desk top engine builder like desk top dyno lol.

Flat tops and 53cc? That’s gonna push compression above 10:1, maybe 11:1. 10:1 might be okay, but 11:1 even with aluminum heads starts to push pump gas standards with milder cams. How far in the hole are the pistons at TDC?
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

What pistons, the lopo dishes or something else? I know the xe258 with 1.7's clears fine with stock replacement HO pistons but those have valve reliefs. Never clayed it, it just hasn't exploded yet so I'm confident saying it clears by now.

Its not the max lift that is the issue anyway, its duration. Max lift hits when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke, the trick is the valve has to shut before the piston gets back up top.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Hey gadget, what size injectors are you close to maxing out? The 24? Thats a good point tiggie. I wasn't thinking About compression. The 63 would help that huh. the plan is 93 octane and 1.6 rockers. Is the ev6 style injector ideal? they come in 24lb for sure. Looking into duration and the piston position at tdc..thanks guys

24#

"The finder of unobtainium and other magical items" zoomie's Avatar

somewhere along the line a guy had one in a ranger with no porting, or tune. made 275/325 to the wheels.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

So, thought I'd throw on the explorer upper and lower and lightning Tb while figuring out the rest of the build. The tps and Iac connectors are different for the Lincoln. Everything else fit well.

use the stock parts so they plug in.

Oh like literally put the Lincoln iac on the new tb?

yeah.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

yes. same part as the new, just different plugs really.

I don't know why I couldnt figure that. Pretty obvious. It ran for a bit. Water pump needs messed with. It seemed to run rich. Thought these type of mods would leans things out.

if manifold vacuum is low, it runs rich. Make sure the vac supply to the MAP is good. I did an intake swap once and found the port had crap in it so the MAP had no vacuum. I had another, unrelated issue where the EGR passage was finally not clogged, and the EGR valve was opening too much because of a bad regulator. Never knew it was messed up until I actually had EGR flow through the intake. It bogged badly off-idle and generally ran poorly unless the egr vac line was unhooked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast