PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: comp xe 258 which tfs heads?

Its about to get guages and a tune. A dyno is to follow. With bbk headers, duals, and ported explorer intakes what can be expected. This is before maf and cam. I'm hoping 200 hp

Fixed the water pump and got the intakes on. The idle is spuratic and it dies at stoplights. I'm pretty certain I've got the vacume lines right. Any ideas? Could it be close to the limits of speed density?

Possibly. Since it's breathing better, you may need to check the base idle. You might need to turn the throttle stop screw in a bit to get the base idle up enough for the idle air control valve to do any good.

With the SPOUT jumper removed, timing in the 10-14 degree area, idle should be around 550-650 (I usually try to peg it at about 600). Then it should be good enough at idle even if the IAC craps itself. Get closer to 650 if you want a little more stability if it's hunting a lot.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Any updates on this? Ever get a tune or dyno it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    Any updates on this? Ever get a tune or dyno it?
    No ive had several mechanics look at it and do things to it. And at this point i dont really trust anyone on it. I told 4 seperate mechanics to fix the vacume leaks. Nobody seals up the ported upper and lower correctly via gasket matching. I told the guys at the exhaust shop to relocate the 02 sensors when i did duels. They didnt. Ordered 3 rearends out of new mexico with the promise they were 11 inch drum track loc. All were wrong. Unless its someone from this forum, im not letting anyone else touch it. These guys take ur car for 4 months at a time and do jackshit while working on other projects.

The car seems to ruin batteries. Have to buy a new one almost everytime i work on it. It has a msd ignition box. No guages yet. It has ported upper and ported lower intakes. Explorer t.b. the mechanic put on 19 instead of 24 lb injectors. Told him 24. It has an eaton pumpkin-3.55. Mas air conversion tho i dont think he changed the firing order. Xplorer tb. Headers. Duals. Smog delete. It will start if i give it some gas and light throttle for about a minuate. Then it will idle on its own and slowly gain temp. When the temp guage gets in the middle the idle becomes spuratic. If driven down the street it overheats and dies at stoplights. When it dies at stoplights the battery is completely dead.

I had decided on either the xe 258 or 264 cam paired with 11r heads. I was ultimatly unsure which heads to get knowing compression and things could be an issue. The inlet and oulet holes in the head

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

You may want to check on that alternator; if it's stock and has not been replaced. Mine did that when it was dying.

I replaced the alternator a few years ago with a slightly higher amperage or voltage. It probly needs a 3g conversion. The website was parts geek. They had what i would call an oddly large selection of alternators for my car ranging in different outputs. It could be wrong for sure

A case of mismatched injectors, MAF, and computer could cause serious drivability issues like the ones you've stated in your thread build.

Your injectors are providing X information to the computer, your MAF is saying something else, and your computer can't read what they're saying.

You want to make sure all of your parts are calibrated to the same injector size. 19lb injectors will require a MAF that measures 19lb injector pulses and a computer that will read what those two 19lb components are telling it.

You currently have 19lb injectors?
    What MAF are you using, and what injector size is it calibrated for?
    Are you using the stock Lincoln computer that is calibrated for the stock 14lb injectors?
    1985 2-Door
    K-Code, CFI, K&N Filter, Race Crank Pulley, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers,
    Flex-A-Lite Electric Fan, 3G Alternator, Bilstein Rear Shocks, SVE Wheels, ET Streets

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Yeah we're missing some information here. What computer you have is VERY important. Like 91 said, the injector/MAF combo is another concern. If you're using an aftermarket or Cobra MAF for 24# injectors, it may not run right with 19s. Does the explorer throttle body have an air-bleed hole in the blade? Lacking that the computer may be trying to adjust with IAC, which can cause weirdness.

Having owned and been around a shitload of Fox mustangs, with bolt-on mods and things like aftermarket cams, they usually hunt for idle when cold but get better as they warm up. Sounds like you're going the other direction. The overheating could indicate it's running lean, or that the cooling system just isn't up to snuff. Lots of factors here so a complete list of parts and work done would be good information.

the computer is an a9p. he said he had to go with 19 lb injectors instead of the 24s for some reason. im certain once the cam is different itl require the 24s. thanks for the help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12