Dual Exhaust Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Exhaust Conversion

In the not-so-distant future, I am going to install a dual exhaust on my '05 MGM. I will be cutting off the dual exhaust of a junkyard car and pattern a 2.5" exhaust from it. I know there is a dual exhaust kit from Stainless Systems, but I want my exhaust quiet; with cutouts for those summer days in traffic when I need waking up. I will be installing headers maybe next year. I also know from experience that it's easier to install a full exhaust all at once (easier to lay it all out and fit everything together). My budget is making me do this backwards; so the exhaust will be done first; headers later. With that said, I have one question; what role do those weights on the stock exhaust flanges play? When I do the full exhaust, should I weld those weights onto the new flanges? Kinda silly question, but I figured that they are there for a reason.

they are there to minimize drone.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Be sure to grab muffler and tail pipe hangers from a donor car.

Comment

Okay. Thanks for the fast response Jaywish Wish my coworkers were that fast :-/

I am going to install Dynomax 17748 muffs with some resonated exhaust tips that I got back in the '90s. Hopefully it will be quiet with relatively little drone.

Comment

JBTW 2.5" might be a bit of overkill. 2.25" if available might be a bit cheaper and easier to work with while providing a great improvement over the stock single and stock duals as well
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

What is the difference between a '98-'02 exhaust and an '03-'11 exhaust? The reason I'm asking is because the '02 CV that I'm pulling the suspension off of has a dual exhaust; unfortunately it's the only Panther in the yard with a dual exhaust. My plan is to cut the exhaust off and use it as a template for the new exhaust. Just wanted to know if they're compatible.

Comment

Having tried an ‘07 system under my ‘97, everything seems off. The H-Pipe hit the floorboard and the over axle section seemed way tighter. I’d consider the earlier system to be closer related to Aeros. I’d check H-Pipe year compatibility for determination.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Okay, that's good to know. I will search for a yard that has '03-'11 Panthers with dual exhaust. Thanks Kodachrome Wolf

Comment

IDK much about exhaust issues, but for me, the extra weight and drag from the weights 'outweighed' any sound benefit. I'll have to wait until I get new exhaust flanges welded on before I know what my car actually sounds like with intake alterations and weight removal without an exhaust leak. A couple of years ago when we still had emissions checks for cars (they stopped in April), I was really blown away by the 'growly/rumbly' sound my car made when I heard the mechanic start it up inside their shop. I haven't been particularly motivated to make it stop sounding like a beast.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                  mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

When I first got the '86 CV (back in '03) I was still in loud mode. My Malibu had 3 modes; single 3" exhaust with glasspack and hi-flo cat (kinda loud); cutout after the cat (loud); unbolt the exhaust flange at the Y-pipe (after the headers - stoopid loud). I was leaning towards quiet when I did the full exhaust on the '86 CV (back in '07); shorty headers, cat'd H-pipe, and decent mufflers with cutouts after the H-pipe (pretty loud for a lopo). After 2 Rangers, a S-10, and my current '05 MGM; I am liking the OEM quiet mode. That's my goal now when I do the full exhaust on the MGM.

Comment

I think the new subframe on 03+ makes the engine position a little different, thus making the exhaust just a little different. I think the splits are 92-97, 98-02, and 03+. Since the Stainless Works complete exhaust systems make the split at 98-02 and 03+... I think my reasoning is logical. The manifold to down pipes and H pipe should be the same 92-02 while the tails is what changes due to the shock placement I think.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^^^Yes. The 98-02 will be much closer to what you need than 03+ but not dead nuts. Patterning after that MAY work out ok but i think the over-axle pipes may need a little tweek. Far as the drone-reducing weights, don't bother. Mufflers will make much more difference in that. I had cheap ebay shorty headers, a mustang off-road pipe with 2 cats welded in, and impala tailpipes with Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers. On a stock lo-po it was pretty mellow and no drone at all.

Comment

"Having tried an ‘07 system under my ‘97, everything seems off. The H-Pipe hit the floorboard and the over axle section seemed way tighter. I’d consider the earlier system to be closer related to Aeros. I’d check H-Pipe year compatibility for determination."

You're right the 92-97 system is the same as the 91 and earlier models. You'll see that in the Walker exhaust parts guide.

Comment

Working...
                          X