PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Hidden stereo

Default Hidden stereo

My plan is to remove my stock stereo in my 1989 Grand Marquis and put gauges where it used to be. I was thinking about this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-S...tronics&sr=1-2

Or something similar to replace it, but instead, mount it under a seat or in the trunk and operate it with the remote... does anyone see any reason why this won't work?

Thanks
    Eric

This is designed for the job: http://customautosoundmfg.com/produc...hideaway-radio

A bit more expensive but designed for the job.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    This is designed for the job: http://customautosoundmfg.com/produc...hideaway-radio

A bit more expensive but designed for the job.
    I saw that one... lots of mixed reviews and a lot more expensive. I was thinking why not get a name brand with a remote for a lot less$$.
    I've seen a few reviews where it quits working in a few weeks... I would hate to spend a lot of time wiring it up to have it fail.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

is it a wireless / RF remote or an IR remote ? IR remotes only work line of sight, meaning you'll have to point it at the radio and not have anything between the remote and HU for it to work. Also a possible question of range if it is wireless.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

fomoco panthers !

Why not put gauges on the A pillar in pods. I actually have some A pillar pods for two or three gauges.
    If you wanted to do some cutting, some of the mid 80s CV police package cars had gauges mounted on the right side angled toward the driver.
    The radio idea under the seat I would not do. Dirt,water and crap gets into the stereo, then there are problems. I have mounted radios in the glove box. A overhead console idea or a console in the middle under the dash would be ok too.

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

You could just buy a Bluetooth Amplifier and use your phone for audio.

These are just examples of a few that are out there

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_120/Al...SAAEgK5jvD_BwE
    2000 MGM LS Palm Beach Edition a work in progress

I have a radio block off plate if you want to mount gauges in it. WagonMan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snapshot_20190302.JPG  
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    is it a wireless / RF remote or an IR remote ? IR remotes only work line of sight, meaning you'll have to point it at the radio and not have anything between the remote and HU for it to work. Also a possible question of range if it is wireless.
    I do not know and could not find anything... I did find a users manual, but it would not DL for me, but my internet was being a little wacky that day. When I have some time in the next few weeks, I might have to stop in at a Best Buy and try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
    You could just buy a Bluetooth Amplifier and use your phone for audio.

These are just examples of a few that are out there

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_120/Al...SAAEgK5jvD_BwE
    Most of the time I listen to the radio, so I need a receiver of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Why not put gauges on the A pillar in pods. I actually have some A pillar pods for two or three gauges.
    If you wanted to do some cutting, some of the mid 80s CV police package cars had gauges mounted on the right side angled toward the driver.
    The radio idea under the seat I would not do. Dirt,water and crap gets into the stereo, then there are problems. I have mounted radios in the glove box. A overhead console idea or a console in the middle under the dash would be ok too.
    Thanks... I have thought about that, but right where the radio is at seems the easiest to me and the best place for them.
    I probably won't mount it under the seat. Although I like having my glove box for gloves and whatnot, that seems like the best place. The new radios nowadays are ugly anyway and I'd rather have it hidden, lol.

I have a long drive planned in a few weeks, so most likely I will get an oil pressure and temp gauge hooked up with a cheap under dash bracket temporarily until I get everything figured out.

With the head units in my '82 and '91 lacking bluetooth, and the one only having an aux in (good luck finding a quality aux cable that doesn't shred and crap out) it's almost always easier for me to take a bluetooth speaker along. I have this green one I got for the Jeep, eventually, and I ended up buying multiple extra black ones that I gave as gifts, and a spare. 10+ hours on a charge, loud volume, pretty good sound, etc. https://www.amazon.com/DOSS-Bluetoot...gateway&sr=8-5
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Quote Originally Posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
    With the head units in my '82 and '91 lacking bluetooth, and the one only having an aux in (good luck finding a quality aux cable that doesn't shred and crap out) it's almost always easier for me to take a bluetooth speaker along. I have this green one I got for the Jeep, eventually, and I ended up buying multiple extra black ones that I gave as gifts, and a spare. 10+ hours on a charge, loud volume, pretty good sound, etc. https://www.amazon.com/DOSS-Bluetoot...gateway&sr=8-5
    Thanks for the link... I did not even know things like that existed, lol... but then again I have never used bluetooth anything, I have heard of it though, so this will all be new to me.

I have a Moto X4, apparently my phone (and only my model of phone) has a feature where it can do a DJ mode thing and connect to 2 or 4 bluetooth speakers at the same time! Apparently this is crazy nusto cool and impossible with any other device.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

I post a lot...

I use my Bluetooth as my preferred way to listen to music due to no commercials driveing me nuts.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I once had a tooth that was slightly green, but the dentist fixed me up. I suggest you see a professional about the blue ones.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

The PO mounted a triple gauge set where the ash tray was.

'10 Escape LTD, V6 AWD. K&N, VentVisors

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars, Dead AOD.....

'91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts...