PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Ripped boot!

Default Ripped boot!

So I replaced the upper ball joints on the Lincoln maybe 2-3 weeks ago. Today while working on the front brakes I noticed this. It looks like the plastic shield acted as a saw to the ball joint boot as the upper arm traveled up and down. Grrrr
    Anywho, do I have to replace the ball joint again? Or does someone sell just the boot? These were Moog joints btw.

Thanks!

-1994 Lincoln Town Car...always under construction

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190301_142757.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	51680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190301_142802.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	51681

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

You can find replacement boots but it may be hard to find one to fit Moog brand.
    2000 MGM LS Palm Beach Edition a work in progress

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Need a boot in there or it will fill with dust and grind itself to an early failure. Don't need to replace the joint if you can get one. Maybe a universal boot will get it done.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Last edited by 94Magna_Tom; 03-02-2019 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 94Magna_Tom View Post
    Thanks!

I went ahead and ordered another ball joint, Rock had the same moogs on clearance for $10. That way I know I'm safe. I appreciate the input from everyone. I suppose I will just cut a couple inches off of that plastic shield piece to prevent this from happening again. Anyone else ever experienced this?

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

looks like its out of position, might want to check the mounting clips to see if some are missing before trimming it.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieTown94 View Post
    Anyone else ever experienced this?
    Same thing happened to one of the Moog upper ball joints I put on my '89. Noticed it last oil change and haven't had a chance to do anything about it yet. (it's been on there for a few years now I think...)

Anyone else ever experienced this?
    When I had a caliper lock up on the '89 (back around 2000) and I melted the boot away driving it home. I just hit it with a grease gun every oil change, that ball joint stayed on the car until 2015 when the car got hit and written off.

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by GM_Guy View Post
    When I had a caliper lock up on the '89 (back around 2000) and I melted the boot away driving it home. I just hit it with a grease gun every oil change, that ball joint stayed on the car until 2015 when the car got hit and written off.

Alex.
    Wow! now that's a long time. Makes me feel a little better about still driving on it

all the CFI are belong to me

I suppose I will just cut a couple inches off of that plastic shield piece to prevent this from happening again. Anyone else ever experienced this?
    Uhh...which plastic shield?
    The one they provide to protect the boot and keep the stud upright during shipping, which you are not supposed to install in the vehicle?

If the piece you are referring to is what I think it is, installing it is probably the reason why you had this failure.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

In his picture it looks like the boot is rubbing against a splash shield from the fender liner.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

all the CFI are belong to me

Oops...somehow I missed the second post with the photo. Yeah, appears the boot was cut by that.

Based on text description alone I was trying to figure out exactly what plastic shield there was, and the only thing I could think of was that plastic cup that some ball joints come packaged with to hold the stud upright.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Oops...somehow I missed the second post with the photo. Yeah, appears the boot was cut by that.

Based on text description alone I was trying to figure out exactly what plastic shield there was, and the only thing I could think of was that plastic cup that some ball joints come packaged with to hold the stud upright.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190307_212454.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	51703