PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: finally abandoned my euro sedan

Default finally abandoned my euro sedan

Hello: I just now bought a 2008 LS in Smokestone Metallic. It feels great. Even if it does need repairs, I expect they won't cost what they did on my british barge. Thank you for providing this forum. --Tom HClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190219_174953.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	51689

Welcome to the site! That GMQ looks really clean. Luckily most repairs on these cars are usually inexpensive if you can sling a wrench and won't cost near what a European car would to repair.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

I post a lot...

So you got rid of the Rolls? What did you have?

Welcome. There is a really knowledgeable group here.

You might want to create a signature and update your profile so folks can always know what car(s) you are talking about and maybe where you are. Later down the road when you might have questions this often helps.

Jay
    Last edited by jaywish; 03-04-2019 at 02:27 AM.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Yes I will try and get some kind of avatar and signature once I get the feel of this forum which so far is GREAT! Thank you.
    I had thought about getting an old rolls Royce actually but was talked out of it by friends. One has a Bentley with hydraulic problems and a broken off turn signal stalk: $700 for that part alone. Over a twenty nine year period I had three jaguars. Probably done with them forever.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new ride.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Welcome

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

Compared to a Jag, a Panther will be as reliable as the sunrise.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new ride.
    To the man with the brown blob: I came close to getting a 04 e320 but was afraid of all the electric complexity and dealer-only designed-in servicing details.
    "In an insane society a sane man would appear insane." --Spock to Kirk
    2008 GM LS in Smokestone Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by tjc78 View Post
    Compared to a Jag, a Panther will be as reliable as the sunrise.
    Are all panthers jaguars but not all jaguars are panthers? Do they both have retractable claws or neither of them or only one of them? I cannot keep my feline taxonomy straight.

I post a lot...

Not sure if you know this but the series of cars Crown Victorias, Grand Marquis and Town Cars that were made from mid 70's IIRC to 2011 were all similar under the skin and are the Panther platform. One of the longest running and popular series of all time. Not up to the success of the Beetle but quite up there.

So you went from a Jaguar to a Panther.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Yes that was sort of my tongue in cheek reference above to feline taxonomy.

Quote Originally Posted by thomash85715 View Post
    To the man with the brown blob: I came close to getting a 04 e320 but was afraid of all the electric complexity and dealer-only designed-in servicing details.
    I hear you on that. I am very mechanical and my father is a mechanic so I tend to do anything and everything I can in house. Youtube helps as well!
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

One thing about German cars is they have good factory support. I can get all of the BMW parts for the engine in my Continental. I'm basically SOL on any Ford-specific item it needs. The BMW guys cry about the prices of some things, or that some items just aren't available but what they can just buy vs what we can buy for a Ford from the 80s is a big difference.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

Yes that is one of the trade-offs. ford customer support sucks if you are not buying something new & expensive.

I needed a limited production rim for the 02 Mercedes. There were none available, but what that meant was they had to have more made.

I don't know about english car manufactures.
    Last edited by jaywish; 03-06-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

I could always get jaguar parts and even sent the main ECU to the UK for electronic rebuild on a 83 V12 which was a success. But the constant stream of problems and the anxiety of setting out on a big trip wondering what horrible thing might happen got to be too much. Setting out on my first big trip in this MGM LS next week and assuming there will be little or no drama. And to gadget73, I say WOW on your diesel! Never knew there was such a thing. My husband loves his gas BMW which supplies less anxiety than my jaguars did but boy what sky high prices for simple stuff like coolant tanks, seat latches and trim items.

yeah, its an oddity. The coolant tank is made by BMW, has a BMW part number, but if you look it up it doesn't go anywhere. There are assorted other things like that. Some parts can be found, some not so much.

GMN Regular

Welcome! Let us know how your road trip goes
    '79 Continental Town Car *In storage.*
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD *In storage.*
    '94 Crown Victoria
    I practically live like it's 1993.

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 165k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 58,171 miles
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 191k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

My road trip to central coast CA from Tucson AZ went great. 1700 miles spread over five days found me on country two lanes, mountain curves, 7% grades and hellbent LA freeways. The thing did everything I asked of it with aplomb and grace. Average computed fuel economy on info screen was 26.0 at the end of it all. My friend who is a Subaru devotee drove it on the 101 and on back roads and stated she might rethink her hatred of big USA cars. I guess that is high praise? On one lonely deserted stretch of I-8 outside of gila bend AZ I put it up to 100 MPH for a few seconds to see how it felt. We all know the answer to that!