Jumping in with TPMS Learning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping in with TPMS Learning

Hi: Search on here found some references to trouble with tire pressure warning but not the solution I seek. The light comes and goes even though there is 35# in each tire. I can get the car into learn mode but using a flat disk magnet near the left front valve stem I never get the first horn beep. After about 90 seconds there are two beeps and readout says failed calibration or something like that. YouTube shows people with donut magnets, a handheld $20 transmitter or letting air out until they hear the first beep from left front. So asking on here what experience people have had doing this procedure with the magnet or the tool. I am NOT comfortable deflating my tires in my driveway waiting in vain for a beep from the horn! If I have a bad sensor in the first tire, I would not get a beep from a magnet or a xmtr or deflation, is that true? I am reluctant to buy tool only to be where I am right now with a maybe bad sensor. So just asking the group what they have learned. Thank you.
    "In an insane society a sane man would appear insane." --Spock to Kirk
    2008 GM LS in Smokestone Metallic

I use an electronic tool not the donut that came with the tpms tool kit on the 08 Lincoln. I do not believe the magnet will activate those particular sensors. There is a pretty cheap ford only tool out there.

I have the Autel TS401 MaxiTPMS Activation Tool with MX-sensor Programming Service.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by jaywish; 03-04-2019, 06:34 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thank you jaywish for this info. I had found this thing out there and am now confused about the difference between this little $20 thing and the obviously more sophisticated TS401 device. Does a person need both to completely handle this problem?
      https://www.ebay.com/i/173605193270?chn=ps

Comment

depends what you want to be able to do. The $20 thing should help you activate and train working sensors on your ford. Like when you swap summer and snow tires. The full tools that can do all the cars are around $400. The TS401 falls in the middle with capability. It will tell you if a sensor is bad. Plus I use it sometimes to check tire pressure. Also it can copy a sensor ID into a new sensor that is programmable. This is for cars that normally require the $400 tool to change the sensors.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by thomash85715 View Post
          Thank you jaywish for this info. I had found this thing out there and am now confused about the difference between this little $20 thing and the obviously more sophisticated TS401 device. Does a person need both to completely handle this problem?
          https://www.ebay.com/i/173605193270?chn=ps
          I have this re-learn tool and it works great on my 2008 CVPI with the banded (not valve stem) sensors.
          Baton Rouge, LA
          My Daily Driver - 2008 CVPI
          Wife's Daily Driver - 2004 LS430

Comment

BayouFlyFisher which tool do you use with success on your CVPI? Cannot tell if you mean the cheap one or the TS401. And how do I know if I have banded or valve stem sensors? Are banded ones opposite the valve stem or right behind it or ??? I just got the car from a dealer and it has good tires on it from previous person who I have no contact with so no way to find out any of this info. Thank you.

Comment

All panthers came with banded sensors, so 180º from the valve stem, no matter what you read as most instructions assume valve stem mounted sensor.
              A valve stem mounted sensor has a taller unthreaded band of brass, if you screw a normal valve cap on, it will not reach the rubber of the valve stem, but leave a noticable gap.

Alex.

Comment

Wow that changes the equation a bit. Is there any point in trying a big magnet 180 from the valve stem? In other words, do banded sensors respond to the magnet method or only the little xmtr?

Comment

The big magnet thing is B.S. Early tpms sensors where magnet triggered, Ford banded sensors need the tpms tool to turn them on with RF.

Alex.

Comment

OK ALex thank you. I will get a $15 315mhz ford marked trigger thing then. When you say TPMS tool, I hope you do not mean the giant multihundred dollar programming one the tire shops use.

Comment

I got a RF device from amazon that people said worked with their fords. It will not trigger the LF sensor and therefore the entire process stops. The balance weights on most of my rims are near the valve stem which would confirm there is something else opposite the stem. Can a failed band sensor be replaced with the valve stem type? As long as it is a 315 MHz will it still be recognized by my 08 MGM system? Here is left front with orientation. I just got this car and have no way to determine its history other than trial and error. Thank you.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190311_085832.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1285158

Comment

Will it trigger the other wheel sensors? On these cars it does not matter which sensor you start the process with for figuring this out.

Yes they can be replaced with any compatible sensor. So a band sensor may have been replaced with a stem sensor.

I used the Continental / VDO metal stem Redi Sensors on the 12 Escape and 08 TC for both snow rims and OEM fail replacements. So far about 28 months with no problems. Sold singly, pairs, sets of 4. The rubber stem are cheaper but have a speed limit. 100mph?
                        https://www.amazon.com/VDO-SE10001HP...ustomerReviews
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I have not really tried going out of sequence. The info window in my dash says looking for LF or something like that when I enter the test mode. I just assumed there is no point in trying a different one. But I shall do that. Thank you. I would never go 100 other than just for a few seconds to see how it feels in this car.

Comment

You may have a dead battery in one of the sensors. The predicted life is 10years.
                            If you move to another corner, try it, with the tpms19, apparently the longer you need to hold the button before the horn honk, the worse condition the battery in the sensor is. So try the other wheels and see what happens.

Alex.

Comment

In last few days this got completely resolved. Sure enough, going out of sequence produced little honks at other three wheels but LF was dead. I paid discount tire $65 to replace it only they DID NOT! When I asked for old sensor, they scrambled around and admitted they never changed it but were running me out the door with light still on. I complained to corporate and posted negative reviews and they invited me back in to get all three remaining ones replaced for zero additional cost. The head guy was mortified. I now have four souvenir band sensors; three of which were still good with eleven years on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X