4R75E high speed durability questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4R75E high speed durability questions

Wanting opinions and facts about the 4R75E in my 2011. From my research I know it is stronger than the 4r70w. Are they prone to tail shaft bearing failure or other issues due to high speed? Is this transmission identical to those used in police application? Thinking about getting a tuner and raising the speed governor to 125 or 130. Thinking about maybe in the future to participate in the Texas Mile 😁. Any drive shaft concerns? My tires are T rated so I know higher will be needed. Thanks for all info info and ideas.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

After some research the transmission for police is not much different than civilian. The tail shaft housing is longer due a longer input shaft. The drive shaft is aluminum and shorter than the steel civilian shaft. The steel driveshaft is good to 110 mph sustained. The aluminum is good to 150. The police driveshaft can be used by using the civilian yokes with a fabtech spacer to compensate for the shorter drive shaft. The civilian yokes are stronger than the police. This is easier labor than swapping all the police specific components.

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

atdr.net has a very good explanation on the driveshaft swap.

Comment

I can say for a fact that my 93 LX with it's rebalanced steel shaft, solid slip yoke, and 3.55L gears are stable for sustained 100mph runs while fully loaded with the cargo box hanging off the hitch. Followed a Charger for about 2 hours at that speed headed down to Houston one Christmas.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah my 04 had no problems with quite a few early morning high speed runs over its life.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
            Yeah my 04 had no problems with quite a few early morning high speed runs over its life.
            About how high? Main concern is safety. Don't want to chunk a drive shaft at speed. If I can get away with stock I'll use a drive shaft loop with it. Would be running a standing Mile, so not a constant speed.

Comment

If you're going with 2.73 gears... You'll have no worries I'd imagine. I've had my 93 up to 110 with zero issues. That was almost 5000 rpm driveshaft. With 2.73 gears, that would be about 3800 RPM. So with 2.73, you'll be good up to 145mph at least. I can't imagine a panther getting much that in a standing mile without much mods. Also, unless the PCM has been tuned, it'll be limited to 110 mph or so for a civilian PCM or 140 for CVPI IIRC (CVPI may not be limited). Besides... you'll know well before the driveshaft gives up. The vibrations will be pronounced.

I do suggest having the driveshaft balanced though.
              Last edited by sly; 03-10-2019, 12:46 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll be sticking with 2.73. Like you said Sly, and based on further research, the stock driveshaft should be okay just above 5500 rpm. Looking at a hypertech tuner to raise the speed governor and a 93 octane tune. Plan to get driveshaft balanced, replace u joints, and add driveshaft loop. With everything else stock would be happy to see 125+ mph. But if not would still be fun to try, and mark something off the bucket list.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokestacklightnin View Post
                  About how high? Main concern is safety. Don't want to chunk a drive shaft at speed. If I can get away with stock I'll use a drive shaft loop with it. Would be running a standing Mile, so not a constant speed.
                  Up to the limiter with 2.73s out back.
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Working...
                  X