Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

00' MGM... trunk vents?

Yo,

My MGM drives in Poland. Due to the horrible gas prices in Europe (about 1 USD for a QUARTER of U.S. gallon!), it was converted to auxiliary LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) supply, so I can alternate between the regular gas and LPG fuel.

The thing is, the LPG cylinder sits in the trunk (still leaving 0.5 cubic meter of free room!). Now, Polish regulations require that the trunk MUST be ventilated if an LPG cylinder is inside (due to, uh, the obvious explosion hazad, should the supply hoses or the cylinder multivalve fail).

Are there any actual trunk air vents (like slots somewhere beneath the carpeting inside the trunk, e.g. on the side walls anywhere)? I know I got 4 rubber-plugged drain vents in the trunk bottom (and the tail ones need to be replaced with steel sheet patches with new holes and plugs — they are kinda ripe, rotten and crusty like shortbread).
    '00 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, Silver Frost, the "Sharona": runs, drives and currently with mods in progress
    '96 Chrysler Grand Voyager LE 3.3 V6
    "You obviously have not been introduced to the ASTM Guidance for Profanity Gauging of Technical Services, Addendum#1, American English to Polish Scale Conversion, by which a repair done at a rate of 35 kurwas per 5 minutes means normal performance."

When I had my trunk carpeting out on my old MGM I remember a vent on the pass side rear inner quarter panel that I think opens when you close the trunk one also may be present on the drivers side also.

A couple of these pictures show the area I am talking about but you would need to remove that carpet section to inspect your car.

On my car the vent that I remember has a outline of white paint that shows this part was installed after the car was painted.

I also do not know if these vents will be good enough or in the proper location to meet the safety requirements imposed by the conversion.
    Attached Files
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

You mean that black thing with a trace of white paint, partially behind the inner bracing panel with the holes extending behind the wheel arch? I'll check it out.

If I don't have the vents there, I'll make the rear drain holes in the trunk floor bigger (I need to trim away the rusty edges anyway) and install the vents in their place.

As for LPG safety compliance, that vent in your photos looks pretty much like a trunk vent in any other Euro / Japanese car; I had a few of these with LPG fuel and none required any additional vents, so this one should do the trick. I'll ask my dad in law, he has a Motor Vehicle Station and retrofits vehicles with LPG, so he knows the regulations.
      '00 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, Silver Frost, the "Sharona": runs, drives and currently with mods in progress
      "You obviously have not been introduced to the ASTM Guidance for Profanity Gauging of Technical Services, Addendum#1, American English to Polish Scale Conversion, by which a repair done at a rate of 35 kurwas per 5 minutes means normal performance."

Comment

Originally posted by SpitShine_PL View Post
        You mean that black thing with a trace of white paint, partially behind the inner bracing panel with the holes extending behind the wheel arch? I'll check it out.
        Yes, that's about where they would be, that black patch with the white paint around it in the picture. I'm not familiar with the newer cars so I don't know if yours has them or not. Also, as was mentioned, I have no idea if they will be considered sufficient to meet the regulation. Check if they are there first then worry about whether or not they meet the requirement.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Unearthing the trunk vent topic: Yeah, there's a factory vent on the right hand side beneath the carpeting. LPG in my dual-fuel setup is propane gas, essentially (it's not "blue fuel", as in methane-fuelled cars), and it's heavier than air. By this logic, I can modify the original trunk drains (the back ones have been rotting) by making them bigger and installing small louvres with the slats deflected down and to the back. This will keep the water out and provide more exhaust ventilation should the multi-valve on the tank fail (which is VERY unlikely in operation, but I like to be on the safe side and legal when the next motor inspection comes).

Comment

Sounds like a plan. As another option, you might even be able to mount some vents from another vehicle in the space behind the bumper reinforcement on the rear face of the trunk.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X