No announcement yet.

My 88 mgm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it doesn't engage OD until 50, the pressure is not too low. When its going in under 35, thats too low. I would seriously recommend not touching that adjustment since it will likely void the warranty on your trans rebuild.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      If it doesn't engage OD until 50, the pressure is not too low. When its going in under 35, thats too low. I would seriously recommend not touching that adjustment since it will likely void the warranty on your trans rebuild.
      I was thinking about it backwards, luckily you corrected me thanks. I didnt even think about the warrenty but honestly if they set it up wrong after a rebuild I dont know if Id trust them to set it up correctly. Too far off either high or low and the built trans will need another rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Mad Marquis shifted FIRM into OD at 45mph with 3.55 gears. The shift firmness softened up over about 50K miles but was still noticible and stable at 45mph. If you've got 2.73 to 3.27 gears and you're shifting at 50 into OD and the rest of the gears seem to shift fine... leave it alone.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Shiny driveshaft.

I dont know why but I have always drove around in D and went into OD when I reach speed on the highways etc. Must have been how my father taught me.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Shiny driveshaft.

I dont know why but I have always drove around in D and went into OD when I reach speed on the highways etc. Must have been how my father taught me.
            Is there a advantage of doing this will it damage trans i was thinking about it only using it going onto freeway. Also do y’all know the u joint adapter part number. I wanna swap it out tomorrow

Comment

The 97 flange and/or yoke won’t work with the 88 stuff? If not, I think it’s a 1310-1330 conversion u-joint you need. This is to mate the 97 driveshaft to the 88 rear axle flange mount, or the 97 driveshaft to the 88 transmission yoke.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                The 97 flange and/or yoke won’t work with the 88 stuff? If not, I think it’s a 1310-1330 conversion u-joint you need. This is to mate the 97 driveshaft to the 88 rear axle flange mount, or the 97 driveshaft to the 88 transmission yoke.
                Okay Thanks i was wondering it’s just the transmission yoke that needs to be changed right. Or is it both front and rear.
                Edit so i will need 2 of the 1310-1330 conversion one for front and one for the rear

Comment

It's either that conversion joint or the 1310-1350. Find out what fits the car the shaft came from... and then what fits yours... and those two numbers will be the conversion joint.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                    Is there a advantage of doing this will it damage trans i was thinking about it only using it going onto freeway. Also do y’all know the u joint adapter part number. I wanna swap it out tomorrow
                    The advantage is I decide when to shift and the car does not lug around. Cars more peppier anyways in D especially considering the low OD shift point. I figure more damage would be made by constantly having the car switch between 3 and 4 when approaching those shift speeds. Long flat lands it may be okay but in hilly areas its annoying to have the transmission constantly hunting between 3 and 4.

I used Spicer Greasable 5-134x combination U Joints on my 95 drive shaft. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post705696
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      The advantage is I decide when to shift and the car does not lug around. Cars more peppier anyways in D especially considering the low OD shift point. I figure more damage would be made by constantly having the car switch between 3 and 4 when approaching those shift speeds. Long flat lands it may be okay but in hilly areas its annoying to have the transmission constantly hunting between 3 and 4.

I used Spicer Greasable 5-134x combination U Joints on my 95 drive shaft. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post705696
                      You were right i used the same u joint and it worked like a charm. Original shaft weight around 16 lbs and new aluminum shaft weight 9 lbs Click image for larger version

Name:	EC387B8D-051D-4D4D-A1B1-392B9E2155D1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	5.39 MB
ID:	1285292
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	E1ED279A-CAFF-4B4C-B48A-BCB8C4E25F89.jpeg
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	1285288 Click image for larger version

Name:	A2FAE592-469B-4C6D-9228-444FECF48F4E.jpeg
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1285289Click image for larger version

Name:	01148D70-1A59-426B-99BB-81515AA35697.jpeg
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	1285290 Click image for larger version

Name:	A2040751-788B-4DD9-8EC7-4673B518F56D.jpeg
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	1285291
                      Last edited by Elias; 04-15-2019, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Not to mention is much prettier.
                        ~David~

Comment

Very nice. My 93 wants some of that aluminum driveshaft action.

Comment

Sly let me know ill get u one from the junkyard if u want one.
                            So a few post back I posted how the new upper rear arms will look like. Well yesterday Chris from adtr sent me a sneak picture of the lower arm. They goon be a big improvement over stock. He said they are on there way to get powder coated then they will be done. Since the drive shaft I haven’t done anything im looking for some good 1” and 1.25” hub centric spacer, And im currently shopping for some tires for the staggered 18” wheels that will go on. Size is still up in the air ill probably will just go with 255/45/18 front and 295/40/18 rear

[ ATTACH=CONFIG]51928[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	12521F12-D45A-402E-924F-0B17D2E74EBE.jpeg
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	1285315
                            Attached Files

Comment

If you find another one, let me know. Those are much better balanced than the steel ones.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                                If you find another one, let me know. Those are much better balanced than the steel ones.
                                Yeah ill let u know

Comment

Working...
                                X