My 88 mgm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 88 mgm

I’ve been here for a while but I figured I’ll make a tread for my 88 mercury marquis (no name as of yet but need a name though) and its progress. Kind of tired of stating a new one for every thing i do to it so ima put everything here. I’ve been having it for almost 14 years i got lots of plans for it heres whats done so far to it.

Autodiming rearview mirror with compass and garage
    New windshield replaced
    Ceramic tint (because Texas heat)
    Wagon engine bay brace
    Smog pump delete
    3g swapped
    2 core radiator (because texas heat)
    Lincoln radiator shroud
    All interior and exterior lights have been replaced with leds (ill take pics later)
    91 inner fender with the relay relocation mod
    newer marauder airbox and vic Tube
    Ho upper intake and ho tb
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...per-egr-and-tb

Big brake swapped
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...upgrade-advice

Bbk shorty bbk hpipe and magnaflows
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...pinions-option

Currently working on the rearend still but im waiting on chris from adtr to finish those rear control arms I convince him to work on here a sneak peek of how the uppers look i sent him the lower a week ago im guessing another month more.
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...rsion-question

Aluminum drive shaft but not installed yet waiting on rear end
    Poweder coated rear 1” bar and rear calipers
    Currently it has hpp 235/60/16 on it but i have some 18” saleen sc wheels like brent’s that will be going on it after rearend is done
    Ill take more pictures of it tomorrow these are a few months back
    But i have a question if I install a explorer intake with the lighting egr and throttle body will it run okay or will be to much air flow for it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Elias; 03-08-2019, 04:44 AM.

Man I love that color, only seen a single '88-'91 around here in that slate grey. Loaded LS with cloth seats, looks at right at home next to your Marauder. May your '88 Grand Marquis serve you well moving forward!

ADTR makes rear control arms for boxes? Shit dude, that could be the start of another wave of suspension upgrades. Ideally we get some front upper and lowers that are big brake compatible and also are an improvement over Ford's design at some point in the future. Thanks for taking the first steps!
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

I am happy seeing you make this thread. You do a lot of work but it is scattered all over the place.

Your not full HO yet correct?

I think you will be fine to install the larger intake (upper and lower as the ports between stock and explorer are different and requires both to be changed on order to run one or the other) and the egr spacer and throttle body as long as you have the stock heads still. If you were running on speed density LOPO power computer I think you would have an issue. You may be okay otherwise.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah compared to your tread on brown blob it is scattered but I usually just fix the things that annoy me or that i want improved. My plan was to do rear suspension then front suspension then exhaust and last engine and paint but plans had to change when my front suspension ball joints started failing and exhaust was starting to fall apart as of right now. As off right now Im just keep original engine going until it fails with small improvement. So ima working around the engine. Once it fails i will probably be getting a 327 347 or 351 built. Not sure on engine yet

Comment

Here’s a engine pic from yesterday had to replace spark plugs wire and distributer cap and rotor i was having a bad misfire on number 8. Feel way better and lighter now I can really fell a difference since the exhaust was done even did a one wheel peel out on take off no braking just straight gas 😂. I used ford racing wires msd cap and motorcraft rotor. Today ima replaces the coil since i cant even remember if i ever replaced it before and I suspect is it a bit worn out.
          Also i was checking for codes because the idiot light is on and all of these came up. Got to do some research and see what all of them are. Old car old problems.
          Attached Files

Comment

Heres a few pics at night with all the leds. They look brighter in person
            Click image for larger version

Name:	FBDBC1C5-6673-48AF-B127-E4C30136CFB2.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	1285161

Name:	A07F1FCF-726B-4342-830B-394D0C607D95.jpeg
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	1285162

Name:	FE472752-C659-4F7A-B19C-7110390497B8.jpeg
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	1285163

Name:	5F1D1334-8F82-42F0-ABDF-F65179E57A3C.jpeg
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	1285164

Name:	64FE8D71-8CCF-4DB5-8C36-CA3BC89EEC11.jpeg
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	1285165

Name:	AFF70F99-AAD0-47D2-B933-F6B94BB2C34D.jpeg
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	1285166

Name:	024DFB8F-2B68-4A86-A2D0-BC009119CB5A.jpeg
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	1285167

Name:	4F1634F6-6295-4F59-A7A4-589C6D831948.jpeg
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	1285168

Name:	26919F50-7A37-408F-B70A-0992F43B958A.jpeg
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	1285169

Name:	308C6D3C-E804-4EA3-B787-1D1B6BC3CC1D.jpeg
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	1285170

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
              Yeah compared to your tread on brown blob it is scattered but I usually just fix the things that annoy me or that i want improved. My plan was to do rear suspension then front suspension then exhaust and last engine and paint but plans had to change when my front suspension ball joints started failing and exhaust was starting to fall apart as of right now. As off right now Im just keep original engine going until it fails with small improvement. So ima working around the engine. Once it fails i will probably be getting a 327 347 or 351 built. Not sure on engine yet
              That is a beautiful MGM!!! And your plan is logical. I did the opposite on my old Malibu and regretted it afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                That is a beautiful MGM!!! And your plan is logical. I did the opposite on my old Malibu and regretted it afterwards.
                Yeah thanks man I know its not perfect but I like this thing. When I first bought it I fell in love with the color and interior seats. It was perfect when I bought it. But one day after work i was at a stop light and someone hit me in the back and they fled the seen the police did catch them but they never fixed it. I was going to Autobody classes at the time so i got to repair most of the damage but i never finished it.
                Interior pic

Name:	9AC88A10-AF47-4762-9254-A1459BC0A8C9.jpeg
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	1285171

Name:	D7077B93-FDB1-4863-8E5B-EB813B217940.jpeg
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	1285172

Comment

How do you like the interior LED lights? I had to revert my car back to standard bulbs because I felt like they were too bright when driving at night.

Also, any issues with cops and the exterior LEDs? Those things look crazy bright in the pics.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Yes there very bright compared to the regular bulbs but I wouldn’t go back to them regular incandescent bulbs. Best thing iv done is do the led swap. I live in Texas and night driveing can be bad sometimes and i have never been pulled over for my lights I rather people see me than not. The only exterior lights that stay on are the blue light between the front and rear door. But i got to tell you switching lanes is way easier to me with my 5k lower fender corner lights people pay more attention. Currently my headlights are the hella e code light which i like compared to the original sealed ones but I think its time to upgrade them. Im looking at getting those jw speaker headlights. Does anyone have experience with these
                    https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/h...0-evolution-2/

Comment

I think those were the ones HRG was recommending, but they are pricey. You get what you pay for though. Those are supposed to be really good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is there any tread on them or pictures of them installed or light pattern does anyone know

Comment

thread I was thinking about: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ght-conversion

pics? no. Light pattern? check the maker's website... they usually have some pics of that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                            Also i was checking for codes because the idiot light is on and all of these came up. Got to do some research and see what all of them are. Old car old problems.
                            I'm guessing this is engine not running?
                            23 - closed throttle TPS higher or lower than expected
                            10 - spacer code, this appears between key on, engine off codes and stored codes
                            94, 44 - smog pump inop
                            34 - EGR position sensor above closed limit
                            13 - cannot control RPM during low-rpm self test (this is only an engine running code)
                            74 - brake on/off switch not activated during self test / user error (also engine running code)

Of that, only the TPS one will make the CEL come on. Fix that, clear the codes, see what comes back. Fair chance the idle code will go away. If the TPS is out of range because the throttle plate is jacked open, that will explain the idle problem as well as the TPS code.
                            34 can be a nugget of crap under te EGR valve that hangs it open, can also be a bad sensor. If its only a CH out of range and the valve is shut, you can pull the sensor and file the end of it a little to get it back in range.
                            74 - stomp the brake pedal after you start the test and the idle kicks up.

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page14.html

As for the lights, I'm a conventional sealed beam guy, but a huge convert to the school of proper headlight alignment and relay harnesses.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              I'm guessing this is engine not running?
                              23 - closed throttle TPS higher or lower than expected
                              10 - spacer code, this appears between key on, engine off codes and stored codes
                              94, 44 - smog pump inop
                              34 - EGR position sensor above closed limit
                              13 - cannot control RPM during low-rpm self test (this is only an engine running code)
                              74 - brake on/off switch not activated during self test / user error (also engine running code)

Of that, only the TPS one will make the CEL come on. Fix that, clear the codes, see what comes back. Fair chance the idle code will go away. If the TPS is out of range because the throttle plate is jacked open, that will explain the idle problem as well as the TPS code.
                              34 can be a nugget of crap under te EGR valve that hangs it open, can also be a bad sensor. If its only a CH out of range and the valve is shut, you can pull the sensor and file the end of it a little to get it back in range.
                              74 - stomp the brake pedal after you start the test and the idle kicks up.

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page14.html

As for the lights, I'm a conventional sealed beam guy, but a huge convert to the school of proper headlight alignment and relay harnesses.
                              Wow thanks gadget for all the info I’ve been trying to fix that dam cel for a while now even took it to a local mustang shop and they couldn’t figure it out. Ima buy a new one today or tomorrow I hope thats it. Is there a way to test if the tps is bad I want to make sure it’s that. Or is there a way to adjust it

Comment

Working...
                              X